Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default G27 with G23 magazine issue

I recently purchased a very lightly used G27, I love it. I followed another forum members advice and got a mag extension for the one mag that came with it and also purchased a G23 13 round mag and an ex-grip sleeve for it, very nice set up. My issue is with one round in the pipe the G23 magazine is almost impossible to rack the slide, I had it at the range and it won't fire with 13 +1, so I can't carry it with 13+1. I can carry the G23 mag as a back up and ten rounds in the G27 mag with the extension but even that is tight. I thought at first it was an issue with the mag that came with but then I got the G23 mag and it is really bad. I can have one in the pipe if I only have 12 rounds in the magazine. Anyone out there have a similar issue or an answer?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: G27 with G23 magazine issue

There is no reason it wouldnt fire due to a tight stack. Are you saying it is firing off the first round but not cycling the next? Ive never experienced that and my extensions also make it so I have to really slam the mag in when there is already a chambered round. As tight as it seems it always cycles though. If yours is really so tight that the pressure of the .40 is not blowing your slide back I would definitely give up on that extra round in the mag. You still have good firepower without it and the extension gives you a place for your pinky.

Why would one want to rack the slide with a loaded mag inserted and a chambered round anyway?
    Last edited by bripro; May 15th, 2016 at 09:36 AM.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Montgomery County)

1) The mags may loosen up a bit. Load and unload it 20 times.

2) I usually carry one less than full capacity in double stack mags. 16 in a G17 mag, 9 in a G26 mag. Some may say it's stupid and not having that last round will get me killed, but it's just what I do for this reason. I'll have to check back, maybe my mags are loosened enough now I can carry full capacity.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    2) I usually carry one less than full capacity in double stack mags. 16 in a G17 mag, 9 in a G26 mag. Some may say it's stupid and not having that last round will get me killed, but it's just what I do for this reason. I'll have to check back, maybe my mags are loosened enough now I can carry full capacity.
    Sound advice... I do the same as do almost all the Glock guys I know.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    There is no reason it wouldnt fire due to a tight stack. Are you saying it is firing off the first round but not cycling the next? Ive never experienced that and my extensions also make it so I have to really slam the mag in when there is already a chambered round. As tight as it seems it always cycles though. If yours is really so tight that the pressure of the .40 is not blowing your slide back I would definitely give up on that extra round in the mag. You still have good firepower without it and the extension gives you a place for your pinky.

Why would one want to rack the slide with a loaded mag inserted and a chambered round anyway?
    When I bought the gun it was tight with 9 in the mag and one in the pipe, I was only racking the slide to cycle through the rounds and it was really tight on the first round. It did fire correctly at the range. When I bought the 13 round magazine I tried the same thing and I could not manually cycle the first round with one in the pipe and all 13 rounds in the mag then at the range I tried to fire it thinking the gun would cycle properly but I couldn't even pull the trigger, it was like it was stuck but I could fire it with one less round in the larger magazine. Also, I had no issues with my G22 mags with all 15 rounds and one in the pipe.

(Lackawanna County)

Are you sure that the rounds ft the chamber correctly. Only time I've seen similar is when I had a round fail the case gauge

(Allegheny County)

I usually carry one less than full capacity in double stack mags.
    As do I (have been doing so since I started shooting back in 85 with a Hi-Power) and my wife.
    More positive mag insertion with a chambered round in place.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    1) The mags may loosen up a bit. Load and unload it 20 times.

I'll probably just carry the G23 mag with 12 in the mag if I am going to carry one chambered, otherwise the 13 as a back up is fine. It sounds as if it is somewhat common with one in the pipe to have the double stack mag at capacity. I admit I don't have this issue with my single stack G36.

I noticed .40 is a lot tighter in the Glock mags than .357sig. I don't have a Glock .357 or .40 mag that I can't easily load to capacity with .357sig, but .40 in the same mags is tight. I figure the smaller bullet of the sig allows the rounds to nest better in the mag. I'd carry -1 in the mag until it loosens up.

(Carbon County)

i carry a 27 with a 23 mag.....never had a malfunction but i usually partly fill the mag then rack one in the chamber then fill the mag the rest of the way
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast