Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Opinion of Walther PPQ?

My wife wants a pistol. We joined PMSC this past month and she really enjoys shooting the steel targets but the only handgun we have is a 357 revolver. We've been looking at 1911s, Glock 19, S&W M&P (which I hate), Beretta PX4 and the Walther PPQ. I really like the PPQ and my wife liked it the best of all the guns we've looked at so what I'm looking for are opinions on this pistol. All the youtube videos I have watched rave about it so I would be surprised to hear anything negative. So basically, does anyone have any reason for us not to buy this pistol?

Default Re: Opinion of Walther PPQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    My wife wants a pistol. We joined PMSC this past month and she really enjoys shooting the steel targets but the only handgun we have is a 357 revolver. We've been looking at 1911s, Glock 19, S&W M&P (which I hate), Beretta PX4 and the Walther PPQ. I really like the PPQ and my wife liked it the best of all the guns we've looked at so what I'm looking for are opinions on this pistol. All the youtube videos I have watched rave about it so I would be surprised to hear anything negative. So basically, does anyone have any reason for us not to buy this pistol?
    i have many of the ppq m2 pistols and love them. the triggers as great and havent had a single issue with any of them.

if you ever move to wanting a carry piece, the pps m2 is great too.

(Bucks County)

I've had the 5" M2 for about a year. Subjectively, it fits my hand and points much more naturally than my G19. Objectively, the M2 trigger is superior.

Maybe it's just me, but I believe if everything from spray bottles to power drills to car seats are designed to function naturally without forcing the user to compensate to be effective, that should apply to firearm design. The M2 is that way for me. My accuracy offhand with the M2 is as good or better than my S&W revolvers shot single action.

I like it so much last week I ordered the 4" version, and will pick it up this week.

I have 2 Walthers. PPQ M2 9 & PPX 9. The feel of both guns is better than my other guns (S&W M&P9 & FNS9). The trigger on both Walthers are great. The PPQ is my go to gun. Probably 3500 to 4000 rounds through it without a single issue.

If I could suggest anything the Walther to improve the PPQ, it would to improve the slide serrations. There's something about them that don;t give that grip that my other guns slides have.

(Beaver County)

Outstanding. Thanks, guys. I saw it yesterday at National Armory for $599. Is that a fair price? It seems to be priced around there on gunbroker and the like.

(Bucks County)

It can be found locally for $575+/- at a few shops. Check Gallery of Guns for local dealers. http://www.galleryofguns.com/

Sometimes my LGS will have a better price on a walk-in than advertised for the same store through GOG.

(Lehigh County)

Don't hesitate, buy the PPQ! I have (had) both the M1 and M2 (sold the M2 because I prefer the paddle safety for the PPQ) and it's my opinion the PPQ is the best striker pistol available. The PPQ is accurate, comfortable, reliable and superbly engineered.

(Montgomery County)

I have a PPQ m2, a family member has an M1 version and a 45. They are superb guns. I have always said and will continue to say that if I could only ever own one gun it would be my PPQ. It also has what might be the best striker fire trigger on the market.

On a side note, the px4 series is also excellent and very underrated IMO. Your wife just needs to decide which trigger system she like better. The striker fire system on the PPQ or the DA/SA hammer fired Px4. Either is an excellent choice.

(Montgomery County)

Another +1 for the PPQ. I'm a lefty and hitting the paddle mag release on the M1 with my trigger finger is awesome.

Random tidbit of knowledge: I'd have to double check, but the PPQ box is good enough that you can fly with it in checked baggage. It doesn't pry up and has good locking points. Not a big deal but may be useful to your decision.

Also you and your wife should get LTCFs if you don't already and start carrying!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Another +1 for the PPQ. I'm a lefty and hitting the paddle mag release on the M1 with my trigger finger is awesome.

Random tidbit of knowledge: I'd have to double check, but the PPQ box is good enough that you can fly with it in checked baggage. It doesn't pry up and has good locking points. Not a big deal but may be useful to your decision.

Also you and your wife should get LTCFs if you don't already and start carrying!
    I have to agree with everyone who has posted thus far - the PPQ M2 has the best out of the box trigger reset on any striker-fired pistol.

My wife bought hers first - and having the ability to adjust the backstrap for small hand size fit her perfectly. After I saw her doing a mag dump at steel at a PAFOA event last year at 62 yds, I was fully sold.

Wish I could shoot as good as she can...

Rather than buy back-up parts (other than 17 round mags), she bought a back-up PPQ M2 because, well, just like some women need shoes, she needed another one, just in case. Both had 4" barrels. And that's the choice from a woman who already owns a 4" Wilson Combat and knows how to shoot it.

Mine has a 4.5" barrel and a threaded muzzle for a suppressor, but in retrospect, I wish had I had bought the 4" version. When you're not shooting suppressed, unless you use that white plumber's tape on the end of the muzzle, long sessions will loosen the thread protector (without the white tape or blue locktite). Still though, the thread protector is something you have to remove from the end of the barrel whenever you clean the gun.

This particular firearm is a great choice.... At this price-point, nearly every other choice comes in second.

If your wife decides to go this route, PM me and I'll have mine reply with the holsters that she figured out work the best on her frame.
    Last edited by bamboomaster; May 15th, 2016 at 04:20 PM.
    - bamboomaster

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast