Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Smith and Wesson Victory...Happy, than sad..now Im happy again!

Picked up a Smith and Wesson Victory 22 for use as a suppressor host just the other day after much debate. Shot about 200 rounds through it and than went to clean and ended up stripping the damn takedown screw. The thing would not budge at all, and the manual says that it may take significant pressure to get it to move so I supplied more pressure and the screw socket just stripped.

This is pretty irritating to me as it will more than likely result in a trip to S&W for the pistol, me being without a suppressor host for probably a month, and than I will also need to arrange time off from work to ship it and receive it (sig delivery will probably be required upon receipt).

First though, I'd like to give a local gunsmith a crack at this. Any recommendations for a competent gunsmith near the Upper Bucks area (zip 18930) ?

Pistol is great otherwise, accurate, has some nice heft/weight to it, and feels better in my hand than the Ruger MK II/III series. Trigger is also pretty good, and better than a Ruger stock trigger. Not great better, but pretty darn good for a pistol at this price point.

Update: Dave Donley was able to get it out..not stripped, just waaaay over-torqued at the factory.
    Last edited by glocke12; May 14th, 2016 at 03:54 PM.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Smith and Wesson Victory...Happy, than sad..

Give Donley in Quakertown a call, http://www.armsdealer.net/businesses...nleys-gun-shop. Good Luck.

Smit

Quote Originally Posted by smit308 View Post
    Give Donley in Quakertown a call, http://www.armsdealer.net/businesses...nleys-gun-shop. Good Luck.

Smit
    ^^ This they are good people for sure. If not get a stripped screw tap and drill it out I have done it many times in old and surplus firearms and in most cases it's easy enough.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    Shot about 200 rounds through it and than went to clean and ended up stripping the damn takedown screw. The thing would not budge at all, and the manual says that it may take significant pressure to get it to move so I supplied more pressure and the screw socket just stripped.
    Screws don't strip taking them out no matter how tight they are. It was already that way, someone at the factory cross threaded it then torqued it down with an air tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Screws don't strip taking them out no matter how tight they are. It was already that way, someone at the factory cross threaded it then torqued it down with an air tool.
    yeah i was thinking something similar...

this is irritating and honestly is part of the reason why I haven't bought a new firearm in awhile (a year maybe)...more often than not I get something has some issue or other and in the end it creates a bunch of work for me.

In any case, Donley's is good to go? I've been there for transfers so know them from that...But from a gunsmithing standpoint is the quality there?

(Berks County)

yeah i was thinking something similar...

this is irritating and honestly is part of the reason why I haven't bought a new firearm in awhile (a year maybe)...more often than not I get something has some issue or other and in the end it creates a bunch of work for me.

In any case, Donley's is good to go? I've been there for transfers so know them from that...But from a gunsmithing standpoint is the quality there?
    I keep reading about problems with that screw. Most don't stay tight. Nice gun otherwise.

(Bucks County)

A decent gunsmith can fix this but it will never be like new (and they will charge you). When screws are stripped you can't add the metal back. You can sometimes just retap the threads but they will never have the holding power of a complete thread. This sounds like a high torque screw. They can also drill a bigger hole and tap it but you will then have to use a nonstandard screw.

Its the factorys fault. Make them fix it for free. Not sure about S&W but if you bitch enough they might send you a free return shipping label.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    A decent gunsmith can fix this but it will never be like new (and they will charge you). When screws are stripped you can't add the metal back. You can sometimes just retap the threads but they will never have the holding power of a complete thread. This sounds like a high torque screw. They can also drill a bigger hole and tap it but you will then have to use a nonstandard screw.

Its the factorys fault. Make them fix it for free. Not sure about S&W but if you bitch enough they might send you a free return shipping label.

just to be clear...it's not certain to me that the it is the threads that are stripped...it's the socket that the hex wrench fits into that i think i stripped when applying pressure.

(Bucks County)

just to be clear...it's not certain to me that the it is the threads that are stripped...it's the socket that the hex wrench fits into that i think i stripped when applying pressure.
    If the threads on the screw look good its an easy fix. Chances are its a standard screw and you can just go to a hardware store and find one. You will probably have to trim it to the correct length. One trick is to put a bolt on the screw before you cut / file it. Taking the bolt off straightens the threads some.

Bring the old screw with you to match up the threads.

S&W might just send him a new screw if he asks nicely

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast