Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default How to mount powered dehumidifier in a small cabinet?

I have the small stack on safe for storing pistols that mounts on top of the rifle cabinet. Amazon link... http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NO...rch&th=1&psc=1

There are no holes in the pistol cabinet for running wires- how did you guys mount a powered dehumidifier in yours? I want to run something like the goldenrod- something constantly powered. I can drill a hole, it's just sheet metal, any recommendations before I take a permanent route?

I already have a goldenrod in the bottom cabinet, it would have been elegant if that one bar could have done both. Would the heat generated below be sufficient up top? It's not something I want to risk...

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: How to mount powered dehumidifier in a small cabinet?

Do you have a hygrometer that tells you how the humidity is in that cabinet? You might not even need anything in the first place, and if you do, something small like an Eva Dry (the cordless desiccant that has a built in plug for renewing kind) might be a better idea. I doubt that the single golden rod will work. There is metal that is blocking much of the heat, as well as the airflow. People argue over how golden rods reduce humidity, but the 2 main theories are that relative humidity is reduced by raising the temperature (because the air can hold more moisture when it is warmer, if the total water is the same, the relative amount is less), or by causing convective air currents that "push" moist air out. In either case, the fact that you have a separate container does not suggest it'll work right.

(York County)

If you drill a hole seal it with fire caulk, available at lowes.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

It's currently 54% humidity at 66'F, my temp/hydrometer calls that low. It's a room below my garage, with plywood floor above a few feet of air followed by dirt. The metal poles and wall supports show mild surface rust similar to a basement.

These are not fire safes, just metal cabinets.

The electricity to run something small in the pistol cabinet is cheap insurance.

(Butler County)

I know you stated that your requirement was something permanently wired, but what about something like this?

http://amzn.com/B00W9M57ZK

I was looking at goldenrods on midway and the instructions said they had to be mounted horizontally. The package and the ad on Amazon didn't say anything about that... do I need to remount this from it's current vertical position?

(Allegheny County)

The Golden Rod should be mounted horizontally, on the floor in front of your door, parallel to the opening. The reason for this is that heat rises, and cool air (and damp air) will sink. Installing it horizontally will allow it to most efficiently evenly heat a wider area. Installing it vertically will mean that the heat will be less spread out. Installing it not on the floor will mean that any area lower than it will not be heated as well, and will tend to be more moist than the air above it.