Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Seeking Advice to correct shooting

The problem: I shoot low and left with *only* my own pistol, a Glock 43.

I can shoot my friends' guns, a .45 1911 and various full size 9mms including a Glock 17, and I can hit a 4 x 4 target 5 out of 6 times.

I'm shooting at, I think, 25 feet down range and using a target of a man’s silhouette. When I aim at the bad guy's center mass, my shoots are consistently hitting his right hip area. I know from the Pistol Correction Chart that I am either tightening the trigger or jerking the trigger. I just don’t know how to correct it.

After numerous Google searches, it is clear that shooting low and left is a common complaint with the subcompact pistols and that too much finger on the trigger is a common mistake. So, on my last trip to the range, I tried to adjust for this. This did not help at all. In fact, I think its gotten worse because I’m focusing on trigger pull and hand grip, and I'm getting frustrated.

Finally, I would also like to add that my pistol is new. I have put a minimum of 400 rounds through it. I mention this because the guy at the range suggested that my pistol is simply not "broken in" yet. I had a same guy test the pistol and, with one shoot, he hit the bulls eye dead center (so I have confirmed there's nothing wrong with the pistol). However, I would like to note that two other guys who were with me at the range also tested my pistol with the same results I get (left and low).

I did read that dry firing can help with both my trigger pull and breaking in of the pistol, but the web full of conflicting opinions on whether or not dry firing is harmful.

I welcome any advice expect to buy a different pistol... I’ve purchased too many holsters to buy a different pistol.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Seeking Advice to correct shooting

This video helped me quite a bit... https://tacticalresponse.com/product...-to-the-basics
    Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

(Bucks County)

Try using both the tip and the center of your trigger fingerprint and see if there's any difference in your point of impact.
    Last edited by RockIsland; May 13th, 2016 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Damn autocorrect!

(Bucks County)

If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

When this happens I ask a buddy who I think is a better shooter then me to shoot a group, sometimes, rarely, but sometimes, it's the sights.

(Allegheny County)

It's possible you are anticipating recoil and pulling the gun down and to the left.
    Get some dummy rounds and have a friend randomly load your magazine with two or three dummy rounds along with live rounds. You won't know which are live and which are dummy. Carefully aim each shot and take note of what happens when you pull the trigger on the dummy rounds (have a friend watch your pistol). The gun movement on the dummy rounds will be obvious if it exists. Correct your recoil anticipation by imagining every round is going to be a dry fire.

Whats you trigger pull technique? Is it one continuous pull from start to finish or are you taking up the slack until you hit the wall and then finishing the pull?

It's also possible the "gun" does need some break in time (trigger action)
    Last edited by Hawk; May 14th, 2016 at 08:03 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Philadelphia County)

I put another 200 pounds through the pistol last night. Someone at the range noticed that I was taking up the slack and then finishing the pull, only with my own pistol (why was I doing this?....IDK). Once I corrected this, I was able to greatly improve. I think my grip was a little loose with the left hand. I kept my focus on the front site as suggested by a friend.

I believe I do flinch, as well, especially at the beginning of the session. This usually improves after a few rounds (the noise alone from others firing makes me flinch when I first get the range). I may be anticipating the recoil, too. I'm just a mess... LOL

What I don't understand is why I can shoot better with any other full size pistol, and do so poorly with my own. I think it helped switching from shooting my own and a friends full size. I will continue to practice my pull with some dry firing and continue to practice.

I appreciate all the advice!!!

(Berks County)

IMHO getting to the range once a week shooting 50 rounds each time is better than shooting 200 rounds once a month. YMMV and finding time is always a bitch. The more often you toss lead downrange the better.

(Bucks County)

Cool Re: Seeking Advice to correct shooting

Full sized pistols, especially 1911's are inherently more accurate and easier to shoot than compacts and subcompacts. I think it's even more true for beginners and people that don't shoot handguns a lot. There's usually a trade off in accuracy when going small for concealability.

I would recommend shooting more full sized guns for a while so you can get more confident in your abilities, and more comfortable with pistols in general.

Consistent accuracy from a small pistol isn't easy, and takes quite a bit of practice. Familiarity and confidence plays a big part in it too. Keep practicing, try to relax, and don't beat yourself up to much. Sometimes you can overthink things too much too.

The 1911 is going to be EASIER to shoot than your G43. I think you proved that. In the right hands at the distance you are shooting, one isn't going to be more accurate than the other. The low left grouping is a common thing for Glock shooters. They are less forgiving of a less than perfect trigger press and jerking. The polymer frame being light exaggerates any amount of jerking or flinching as well. Dry fire your Glock like it is your job. Master a perfect trigger press, and if you aren't doing it already, take advantage of that great Glock trigger reset. If you want to see how much you are flinching or anticipating recoil, get a hold of some inert or "dummy" rounds and have a buddy load your magazines. When you press the trigger and you hear a click followed by a rapid dip low and left, it will sink in. All I can say is work on it. You will get better with it. The compact size often multiplies the issue. Let us know how it works out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast