Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Looking for a reputable range to learn safety and how to shoot.

WOW, I am flabbergasted with all of your great comments and advice. I halfway expected to get called stupid for not knowing anything about guns and wanting to buy one. You guys are great. I think i'm going to try the A&S , I will report back with my experience and thanks so much all of you for being so cool and helpful about this, because believe it or not I'm not taking this lightly, this is a big decision for me and I just want to make sure i'm going about it in the safest possible manner. I'm looking for a firearm for number 1, Protection... and number 2. Fun. ... Hey it looks really fun so thats a bonus to it possibly saving my and my families lives someday.
    take care all..
    -PJ

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by pmcglynn View Post
    WOW, I am flabbergasted with all of your great comments and advice. I halfway expected to get called stupid for not knowing anything about guns and wanting to buy one. You guys are great. I think i'm going to try the A&S , I will report back with my experience and thanks so much all of you for being so cool and helpful about this, because believe it or not I'm not taking this lightly, this is a big decision for me and I just want to make sure i'm going about it in the safest possible manner. I'm looking for a firearm for number 1, Protection... and number 2. Fun. ... Hey it looks really fun so thats a bonus to it possibly saving my and my families lives someday.
    take care all..
    -PJ
    As my drill instructor liked to say, "there are no stupid questions, only stupid people" before asking if there were any questions. People bust balls on this board but usually only among established members...or the truly stupid! You're approaching the awesome responsibility of gun ownership exactly the right way. Good on ya.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Washington County)

Fun is what attracted me to it.... 4 guns in the past few months has made me realize.. Maybe it's an addiction. Lol.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pmcglynn View Post
    take care all..
    -PJ
    You'll find most of the members here take safety very seriously, and will rarely, if ever, criticize someone new to firearms for asking honest questions. We might bust each other's balls, but newbies who really want to learn are generally treated pretty well.

About twice a year, the Mt. Lebanon recreation department runs a "Firearms safety and target pistol" program. You missed the last one (January), but they also generally run one in the fall, which isn't listed on the schedule yet.

Fall is probably further out than you want, but here is the link to anyway:
    http://pa-mtlebanon3.civicplus.com/430/Firearms

(Allegheny County)

I would highly recommend NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting course phase 1 and 2. Phase 1 is online and the phase 2 is being held at Coraopolis Sportsmen's Association in Coraoplis June 11th. Total cost for both is $120.
    https://onlinetraining.nra.org/onlin...ooting-course/

The next class is by FIRE Institute one day handgun course, coming up June 18th for $75. It will in North Versailles.
    http://www.fireinstitute.org/index.html

(Allegheny County)

Welcome here. Nothing wrong with asking questions, I've seen some scary stuff lately at local ranges (from new shooters and supposed experts) and getting a good start with a class or two is a great idea.

Once you get some training, there are quite a few good clubs that still have openings in the Pittsburgh area. That's a great way to meet other shooters, get some more instruction or try some league shooting (trap, rifle, pistol etc.)

What kind of pistols are you looking at ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12