Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: So I woke up in new Jersey today

Quote Originally Posted by 7thmoosefromtheleft View Post
    I unloaded the magazine, and field stripped the gun keeping ammo and gun and even magizine in separate and in accessible containers of the trunk . Insane that your like can go from 0 to 60 just for literal wrong turn. There is more than something wrong with that state if that's the case.
    Means nothing. 5 to 10 years in jail.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

Quote Originally Posted by 7thmoosefromtheleft View Post
    I unloaded the magazine, and field stripped the gun keeping ammo and gun and even magizine in separate and in accessible containers of the trunk . Insane that your like can go from 0 to 60 just for literal wrong turn. There is more than something wrong with that state if that's the case.
    You're still screwed.

Google Brian Aitken.

NJ treats all firearm owners as criminals.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Means nothing. 5 to 10 years in jail.

True, but less likely to be spotted during a routine stop than if it's on your hip.
    Make a legal u turn and exit NJ in a safe fashion, breaking no traffic laws along the way. Don't speed, be sure to use your turn signals (or is it illegal to use them in NJ?).

I took a course with Gunlawyer. He advocates having a small locking fireproof box in the car. Put some documents in it (copies of your license, registration and proof of insurance for instance). When in extremis (in Joisey)), put the gun etc. in. If stopped by police and the contents of the box is questioned, state the box has legal documents in it, it is locked and inaccessible to you, poses no danger and is not to be breached for privacy reasons. He believes that, if the cop insists, the search would be found invalid (several thousand dollars later).

(Bucks County)

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    I'm on an iPhone, so I'm not going to search for the thread, but as I recall FOPA is for interstate transportation. Beginning and ending in the same state doesn't count! I specifically recall the discussions about taking the shortcut heading west just north of the PA border or cutting down through NJ and the possibility of getting pinched. You would be better off telling the 'un-truth' to the NJSP and saying you were on your way to DE or VT.
    Consider the definition provided:

18 USC §921. Definitions

(a) As used in this chapter-

(1) ...
    (2) The term "interstate or foreign commerce" includes commerce between any place in a State and any place outside of that State, or within any possession of the United States (not including the Canal Zone) or the District of Columbia, but such term does not include commerce between places within the same State but through any place outside of that State. The term "State" includes the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the possessions of the United States (not including the Canal Zone).
    Travel between two points in the same state through another state is 'interstate'.
    IANAL

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Consider the definition provided:

Travel between two points in the same state through another state is 'interstate'.
    Have there ever been any court cases setting precedence for that scenario? I always err on the side of caution, but I would be interested to see if this has ever been tested.

This is why you should drive.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    This is what I was thinking. Unloading it and putting it in the trunk may not have necessarily saved you.

Good point. FOPA seems like it MAY cover that (anyone know for sure?). But even on that off-chance, what about >15 round mags and JHP ammo?

Ever driven on the Vine Street Expressway in Philly? It's fast, confusing, and you will end up on the Ben Franklin Bridge if you screw up.

Personally I would have stood on the side of the road waiting for her to come around and pick me up. Not very safe, but then again NJ doesn't give a shit about your safety. Also you should inform your girlfriend about the danger of what happened. I've explained to mine how I'd be going down for 3 felonies if we cross a bridge (handgun, magazine, HPs) and we need to be careful when driving. Actually on second thought maybe I've given her an idea how to get rid of me....

BTW this situation applies to Maryland and NY too... be careful when driving near the borders.
    Yep...made a wrong turn my first time in Shrewsbury...headed the wrong way without knowing it and all of a sudden I see a "Welcome to Maryland" sign approaching me. I did a u-turn before I got to it and explained to my wife why. It's easy to do, and sad that you have to live in fear in your own country.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Have there ever been any court cases setting precedence for that scenario? I always err on the side of caution, but I would be interested to see if this has ever been tested.
    I don't know of any on-point cases. All the court decisions and other reference material I've seen only spoke to the more normal FOPA transit between two non-contiguous states. That said, I would think that any challenge to FOPA transport protection turning on the interstate/intrastate question of whether a trip between two points within the same state but through an intervening state would be readily resolved by the §921 definition.

§921 applies to all of 18 USC Ch44 which encompasses the FOPA transport statute (18 USC §926A). As to whether that travel through the intervening state would be seen as a "reasonable route" is a different matter.
    IANAL

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast