Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Wink Subsonic .22 ammo for hunting?

What is the effective range of subsonic .22 ammo for hunting? I have intentions to start plinking groundhogs and rabbits from no more than 100 yards. Is subsonic .22 ammo up to the task of dealing with critters at that kind of range?

The only reason why I mention subsonic is because I have intentions to use a suppressor.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Subsonic .22 ammo for hunting?

i don't see any reason whey the bullet wouldn't have enough energy to kill at 100 yards. just know your elevation for various distances and wind drift will be a little more severe. other than that you should be fine. i should have my 22 can for squirrel season yea the tree rats are gonna die.

(Union County)

You're pushing it to kill a groundhog at 100 yards w/ a subsonic 22. I am SURE it has been done but I would have to say it would take VERY strategic bullet placement to kill w/ the diminished energy such a projectile would still have at that range. W/ that said, i would suggest you start out testing w/ standard velocity 22 rounds(they are usually loaded to just over the speed of sound) and since a suppressor is a velocity parasite, I would not be surprised if you find what your looking for. I have shot several squirrels at very close range w/ subsonic 22 HPs out of a bolt rifle and would be hard pressed to use them on anything bigger than a rabbit at ranges beyond 50-60 yards. 'Course though I'm sure my grandfather would have told you about the time he shot a 30 lb chuck at 150 yards right between the eyes(from behind) w/ a 22 short, out of a pistol, no sights, in the snow, uphill, both ways ......lol!

(Cumberland County)

I have taken a groundhog at 70 + a bit yards with the 60gr Aguila SSS ammo. The thing was half way over a RR track. I was about 10 feet off the ground. I hit the lower back, but because of the propped up angle that the hog was at, the bullet traveled into the boiler room and out through the lower neck.

I have my rifle sighted in with this ammo at 100 yards. The trajectory is ugly as hell. At 50 yards, the bullet is between 5 and 6 inches high.

If you want to run with a suppressor, make sure your barrel twist is tight enough to stabilize the bullet before you attach the suppressor. Most 22LR barrels are not tight enough and the bullet is a bit wobbly.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Franklin County)

Thanks for the information guys. I haven't decided on a rifle yet, so if anyone has any suggestion for a bolt gun with a nice tight twist, let me know. I was thinking about plunking down the money for an Anschutz, since my dad has one and it is one of the nicest damn .22s I've ever shot. I hesistate to violate the muzzle of an Anschutz though.

What exactly is the ideal twist / bullet weight combination for a .22 anyway?

I like the idea of using standard velocity ammo and letting the supressor slow the bullet down to subsonic speeds. Quietness is my priority here, so hopefully that will be adequate. If I have to limit my shots to around 50 yards, so be it, I suppose.

(Jefferson County)

I cant remember the ideal twist on standard 40gr 22 bullets, but I know for sure the 60gr Aguila SS ammo needs a faster twist rate on two parts: 1. longer bullet, 2. slower velocity.

I've seen them tumble at 50yrds from 10/22's and a Marlin boltgun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Look for an old Mossberg 22 rifle they shoot wonderful, old guns made in America with really nice walnut stocks. I haven’t found one that shoots poor (yet). I have bought other old 22 rifles from other manufactures some shoot real well, some are just Ok

They were originally designed for crappie ammo that was available at the time, so they had very deep grooves and lands in barrel to give them more accuracy with the poor ammo. They shoot everything as good or better as new modern 22 rifles that usually cost much more.

A friend borrowed my old Mossberg at the range and from a bench rest put 10 shots in a one circle at 100 yards, I never did that, always got one round that would drift. But I saw it done with mine with iron sights no less.

Also you won’t feel bad cutting and threading the barrel for a can on a inexpensive rifle, figure 75 -100 bucks to do it right.

Lots of times you can find old Mossberg in the 150 to 250 price range at gun shows, they may look beat up on the outside, surface rust, old beat up stocks, they all can be refinished to look like new. Makes a nice project. Also if you buy one beware they become addictive because they shoot so well for the money they are hard to beat.

Any .22 Mossberg rifles made before 1968 has no serial numbers on them, the 1960’s models had groves for scopes.
    There is company makes new adapters for scope mounts and new swivels along with other new replacement parts. http://www.havlinsales.com/

Also hold out for a clip feed magazine for any rifle with a suppressor, it’s a pain to unscrew the can to refill a tube feed one, even of they hold many more rounds than most clip feed ones do.

I used to whack the hell out of squirrels, rabbits and grouse with my Remington 541 using Remington 22 target ammo (its below the speed of sound) out to 100 yard wouldn't think twice at taking a shot that far with it. Took out a couple out the 130ish yard range back in the 80’s and early 90’s out hunting.

Almost any 22 ammo listed as standard velocity is below the speed of sound and there are lots of choices to find what flavor any rifle you decide to buy shoots the best. There are also standard velocity hollow points, something that wasn’t available when I went hunting with a 22 rifle back in the day.

There are many dedicated 22 rifles that have integral suppressors that are manufactured now to choose from, you will just spend a lot more for the dedicated combination set up, lots of choices, go to the NFA section for advice about what to get.