Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Makarov PM question

I have a Russian commercial Makarov PM chambered in .380 auto. I bought it used, but it looks to be in excellent shape. Since I don't know how many rounds it has through it, I want to replace the recoil spring to make sure it doesn't damage itself.

Does anyone know exactly what spring weight i need for this pistol? I see that Midwayusa has the Wolf 'conventional spring 19 pounds 'extra power'. Is this the one to get for the .380? I know that weak springs will batter the frame on recoil, but strong springs could batter the frame on return to battery. As such I want the correct spring.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Makarov PM question

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    I have a Russian commercial Makarov PM chambered in .380 auto. I bought it used, but it looks to be in excellent shape. Since I don't know how many rounds it has through it, I want to replace the recoil spring to make sure it doesn't damage itself.

Does anyone know exactly what spring weight i need for this pistol? I see that Midwayusa has the Wolf 'conventional spring 19 pounds 'extra power'. Is this the one to get for the .380? I know that weak springs will batter the frame on recoil, but strong springs could batter the frame on return to battery. As such I want the correct spring.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    I wouldn't bother with an extra power, since its a .380 you're already shooting an lower power cartridge than what its designed for. I converted a .380 mak to 9x18 and didn't bother to change the spring and found no issues. Although I highly doubt a recoil spring swap is needed, a .380 mak isn't the kind of thing that's going to get shot enough to wear it out.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Makarov PM question

The standard recoil spring weight for either the .380, or 9x18 (9MM Mak) Pistolet Makarov is 17 lbs.