Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W revolver

(Allegheny County)

Default S&W revolver

Looking to buy my first revolver, first Smith and Wesson and I'm going big. I'm eyeing up an x frame .460.
    First, they still seem to be quality guns from what I have read. Maybe not what they once were, but still one of the top revolvers out there. .
    So first off, the locking mechanism. I know purists hate it. I don't particularly like the idea either, but is it bad enough to keep me from buying new?
    Second, I'm not a fan of MIM parts and read that they now have some. Have any of you experienced a MIM part failure?

What other questions should I be asking?
    "Governments... derive their just powers from the consent of the governed."

(Bucks County)

Default Re: S&W revolver

Never had a problem with my 4" or 5" 686+ revolvers, bought new 3 years ago. They are well made guns that have already seen thousands of rounds. I expect they will someday be owned by my son.

The lock is a non-issue for me. Somewhere out there are reports of unintended lockups.

Check the S&W Forum for more than you can read in one day on the issue of "The Lock". http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

(Philadelphia County)

I don't know if you'll be carrying the .460 for SD but if it's just hunting and target practice you could disable the lock and plug the hole. There are people on smith-wessonforum.com who sell the plugs. I don't own any new revolvers, only an old Python and 57-1 in .41 mag so I can't comment on the MIM parts, unless the 57-1 has them in which case I've had no failures.

The .460 is a bad ass cartridge, a friend wants a .500 just because but the .460 is so versatile with the ability to fire .45lc and .454 casull. A gentleman at the range said his son's .460 will consistently hit at 200yd with a scope due to the flat trajectory.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Susquehanna County)

If you don't engage the lock it is just like not having one! It poses no problem on my 627 Pro.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lancaster County)

Make sure you check the box
    HaHa!

(Montgomery County)

The x frame revolvers were designed from the ground up with MIM parts and the design is sound. I am not sure of the intended purpose for this first revolver yet I would advise against getting a revolver that produces the muzzle energy of a medium caliber rifle as your first. Couple the recoil and blast with the fact that you will be shooting two dollar bills out of that fire breather and you end up with something that spends most of its time in a safe.

Consider buying a used revolver in .38 or .357 mag. The locks are not that big of a deal and a quick youtube search will show how to disable it if you wish. If you insist on factory new, check out the smith 66-8. It has been completely redesigned and it is quite a fantastic revolver. It takes some time to master the double action trigger pull. Cocking the hammer for every shot is tedious and builds bad habits, I prefer bobbed hammers that cannot be cocked. YMMV
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Chester County)

Are you buying for a novelty piece, range gun, self-defense, big game hunting, plinking or a little of each?
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Allegheny County)

Hey thanks for the reply guys. The model I'm looking at is the special edition Bone collector. I like the looks of it plus it's tuned by the performance shop and seems to have a good mid sized barrel at 7.5".
    I figured the lock was a non issue but people always seem to make something of nothing but I just wanted to check to make sure.
    It's a collectors model so I anticipate shooting this just a few times a year at the range. Maybe if I were to go big game hunting, I'd wear it to hunt/ defend myself with it but that's not in my plans.
    Second, I'm attracted to this gun because I can load it with 45 colt and keep costs and recoil to a minimum. (I plan on buying a Henry big boy in 45 colt as well and maybe a couple of other firearms. I believe in keeping my ammo consolidated.)
    As far as the double action, I don't know if it's the same l, but I have some semis with double action. Not to worried about it.
    "Governments... derive their just powers from the consent of the governed."

(Berks County)

45 long colt isn't cheap. 454 casull is damn near the same as 460s&w. Two load available at cabellas in 460 one is $30+ and the other is $70+

(Delaware County)

My opinion is not for you, because your criteria seems to be to get "the biggest and baddest".
    My S&W 686 allows me to have the "defense power" of a .357 magnum, while allowing me many pleasant hours at the range shooting .38 specials. In other words, a gun that gets used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast