Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 500 S&W Magnum

Default 500 S&W Magnum

Hi I just got a couple of boxes of MB 400gr Hi-Tek coated bullets. I have a couple of questions. The only powder I currently have is Hogden H110. I'm using RCBS Steel dies, and have it all set up to put the roll crimp in the cannelure and the round looks really good. It mics out fine and gages fine. It seems short for COAL though, at only 1.928". All the example rounds in the Lyman book I have are around 2.050". My second concern is I have no load data to start from and being very new to this, am unsure where to start. Any advice you can render will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

(Clarion County)

Default Re: 500 S&W Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by bwdavis59 View Post
    My second concern is I have no load data to start from and being very new to this, am unsure where to start. Any advice you can render will be appreciated.
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com For load data I usually start and look to see what the powder manufacturer recommends.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Thanks, I came across that in one of the sticky posts too. They don't list a hard cast bullet, but they do have a load for a 400 gr bullet, so I'll start with that.
    Thank you for replying
    Bruce

(Clarion County)

My bad, didn't catch it was cast. http://castpics.net/dpl/
    Under reloaders reference go to cast data lookup.
    These are personal users data on the internet so all warnings apply.
    Another one I look at when researching: http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp

Thanks, I'll check it out. What about the COAL of the round? Does it matter that it's a little shorter than the nominal values listed in the reloading manual? I had loaded 50 rounds with Hornady XTP 350 gr bullets, and the COAL was nearly identical to the values in Lyman's 49th edition. From reading, it seems to not be as important for revolvers as it is for pistols that auto feed, for obvious reasons. I have to crimp on the cannelure, so if I'm going to shoot these bullets, it kind of is what it is. Thanks for following up.
    Bruce

(Clarion County)

So your difference is 0.122" with the COAL in a fairly large straight wall case. I'd probably try them at a starting load and see, although I'd be inclined to use a different powder, something like Unique. If MB is Missouri Bullet I'd email them and see what they say. Double check where they want the crimp on that bullet. They may even give a suggestion for a load with H110. If you do let us know. Don't load the 500 so maybe someone with real experience can chime in.

Thanks cephas. What I did is consulted Hogden's load data for equal weight bullet, and I have the benefit of a reloader in the office next to mine. I also consulted cast site you referred me to (joined, too). I found the same data over and over for Hogden H110, start at 34, max is 40. Soooo .. I finally got some projects at the house done and loaded 2 each at 34, 36, 38, and 40. My plan was to shoot each pair examinng for pressure after each group. The bullets were given a heavy roll crimp right on the crimp groove. The rounds were individually charged by hand with a digital scale. One of the 40 gn rounds shows some excess pressure sign. I'll put a picture up for comment. Wish I'd had a chrono to give an idea of velocity. Having shot these rounds, I think I'll load 38 grains of the H110 with the 400gn Missouri Bullet Crusher #1 bullet.

(Bucks County)

Never loaded a .500 (closest is a hot .45 Colt) so take this for what its worth.......But H-110 / 296 is not a beginners powder. It doesn't do well with reduced loads and needs to be close to max to burn cleanly / accurately. Velocities go up fast when it gets in the correct burning range. You might be fine going up 2 grains (or more) when its not burning efficiently but when it does a 2 grain jump can be a lot. IMO if your a beginner and not using a tried and true load you need a Chrony for a reality check.

H-110 is an excellent powder for max loads but there are other powders that can get close and have a more linear burn rate. Do some research and look for a powder that can also be used for mid range loads and work up.

PS.........2 rounds for each load is worthless. 5 rounds minimum and work up in smaller increments (might be hard with a .500 though).

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Never loaded a .500 (closest is a hot .45 Colt) so take this for what its worth.......But H-110 / 296 is not a beginners powder. It doesn't do well with reduced loads and needs to be close to max to burn cleanly / accurately. Velocities go up fast when it gets in the correct burning range. You might be fine going up 2 grains (or more) when its not burning efficiently but when it does a 2 grain jump can be a lot. IMO if your a beginner and not using a tried and true load you need a Chrony for a reality check.

H-110 is an excellent powder for max loads but there are other powders that can get close and have a more linear burn rate. Do some research and look for a powder that can also be used for mid range loads and work up.

PS.........2 rounds for each load is worthless. 5 rounds minimum and work up in smaller increments (might be hard with a .500 though).
    Thanks for your insight, Delkal. I am a beginner. This is my first reloading press, and first revolver. I have a sig 380 that I carry and an assortment of long guns, and grew up around a family farm. I've read about the detonation phenomenon and I am aware that H-110 is one of those powders that should not be loaded reduced especially in a large case. I'll say this though, if I am limited to 40 grain loads in that gun, it's going to put a serious dent in my recreational shooting. Your advice about 2 rounds is appreciated, and your observation about 5 rounds is correct. My goal last night was to test some practice loads, and get a rough idea where I wanted to be with my new bullet. I don't want to be at 40, I know that. Hogden's data is for a 400gn JSP Sierra bullet. From my trip to the range last night, at 25 yards, I had pretty consistent accuracy. I fired 5 rounds loaded with 25gn of H-110 and a 350gn HDY XTP JHP for practice loads, and they all shot fine, what I expected. For the Missouri Bullets 400gn Crusher #1, I stayed within the recommended range for the caliber/weight of bullet that I found on Hogden's site for the 400gn Sierra JSP, and similar data that I found on 2 other sites to work up my loads. I've shot 20 350gn Hornady XTP JHP before, loaded with 38.0gn of Hogden H-110 and they produced a big muzzle flash, but last night, with the same powder and the new 400gn bullet, I saw no muzzle flash at all. Any theories on that? I did reset my RCBS seat/crimp die, think I may have my roll crimp set too tight?

Added: The Missouri Bullets 400gn bullets are coated with Hi-Tek coating.
    Last edited by bwdavis59; May 6th, 2016 at 10:33 AM. Reason: correct die description / update

(Bucks County)

You will always see some muzzle flash with a high end revolver but excessive flash can be caused by unburned powder. What is the book max for a 350 gr JHP?

With a powerful revolver with max loads you need a HEAVY crimp. The bullet can come out under the heavy recoil locking up your pistol. With lead you can crimp it anywhere since the lead will deform some and hold the bullet (but I still like to find the cannelure). With jacketed bullets you want to use the cannelure.

Since you shot 2 rounds at 40 and didn't blow up I would back off a little and make 10-20 (37-38grains). Then go out and shoot them keeping an eye out for pressure signs. The cases should come out easy and the primers can be a little flat but not cratered and filling the primer pocket. 20 rounds at one range session will be more than enough for you. If they seem fine make another 20 at with that load and another 5 at +0.5 grains and another 5 at +1 grain. Go out and shoot them for accuracy while inspecting each case for pressure signs.

When I started reloading I also wanted to always load to max. too. You have enough gun so you really don't need to. You will likely find the best accuracy with a lower level charge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast