Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Warning for Diesel Vehicle Owners in South Hills of Pittsburgh........

My wife and I have a 2010 VW Jetta TDI (diesel) that has been, for the most part, a pretty reliable car. She said last Wednesday that it wasn't running right, quit on her a couple of times etc. I take it out for a quick spin on Thursday and Friday and it is sputtering, dies, has crazy vibration in the engine- I'm thinking the fly wheel and/or clutch is coming apart (it has 110,000 miles.) I finally say screw it, and we have it towed to the VW dealer.

They call me this morning and ask if we recently put fuel in it. I say yes, my wife filled it up Wednesday. They ask (out of the blue) did she fill it up at the BP/Seven Eleven on Route 88 in Bethel Park ? I say yes, how did you know- they say because they had another TDI brought in over the weekend with the same problem, and it also fueled up there. I ask my wife, did you put diesel in the tank ? She says of course, and being the highly organized member of this relationship, pulls out the receipt showing diesel. Huh, I think, maybe it was a bad batch of diesel or water somehow got in either the station's tank or our fuel tank.

I go to the station and talk to the manager. Turns out the tanker driver mixed up the hoses during a delivery and they got gasoline in their diesel tanks. Apparently the tanker company is going to cover any claims for damages.

So, if you know any diesel vehicle operators having similar problems, let them know. I don't know how long the problem went on so it could potentially be a lot of vehicles depending on how many fueled up before they caught it. I'm pissed, this is going to be expensive and I doubt it's going to run right even after they get it cleaned out.

Default Re: Warning for Diesel Vehicle Owners in South Hills of Pittsburgh........

Glad to hear they are going to make good on it.

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Warning for Diesel Vehicle Owners in South Hills of Pittsburgh........

You can kiss you injectors and injector pump goodbye..... And that's being optimistic. You are lucky you don't have DPF or def on your car.

Sorry to hear.... I will steer clear from bethel park for awhile. I always thought it strange that at BP the diesel nozzles are black and the gasoline ones are green.

Thanks for the heads up!

(Allegheny County)

Got it back today, it's running okay. Fortunately, the gasoline was diluted in their diesel tank so it wasn't as bad as putting straight gasoline in.

(Washington County)

Good info. I cross-posted this on the Pittsburgh Offroad forum.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796