Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Smile Lets talk where to begin

I have worked the field of security for five years and never touched a weapon.

I do have training in Karate and Tai Chi.

I took a leave of absence from work to start a family now time to go back to work is approaching and times have changed. I need a starting point on firearms training, I'm looking at hand guns. I will need a basic understand of weaspons and where I might get training from.

Where does one begin?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Lets talk where to begin

Quote Originally Posted by w.scotti View Post
    I have worked the field of security for five years and never touched a weapon.

I do have training in Karate and Tai Chi.

I took a leave of absence from work to start a family now time to go back to work is approaching and times have changed. I need a starting point on firearms training, I'm looking at hand guns. I will need a basic understand of weaspons and where I might get training from.

Where does one begin?
    My suggestion is to look up http://www.fireinstitute.org/ several of the instructors are members here and they are a top notch group of guys. If you have NEVER handled a firearm at all, perhaps start with the NRA First Steps class. Good luck.

(Chester County)

Welcome to the forums.

Well.... These forums are a fantastic place to start. Someone here will be able to guide you toward a reputable gun store and range for training in your area.

For a first handgun I would reccomend a .22lr pistol. It's better to start with something small and build good habits than to start with something large and develop bad habits.

Look for a local range that offers the NRA Basic Pistol course. I took it last year even though I was probably at an intermediate level. I still learned quite a few things from the instructors.

A few questions for you if you don't mind....

1. What do you want to use the handgun for? target shooting, self defense, etc...
    2. Do you plan on getting your License To Carry Firearms? (LTCF)
    3. What is you level of firearms experience?

These forums have a great search option. It's in the upper left of every forum page. Chances are most answers to your questions can be found by reading through old threads, but if you can't find an answer to your liking, by all means ask away.
    Μολὼν λάβε

I agree with Monty. Take a safety course especially oriented toward handguns. Handguns are small enough that it's easy to unintentionally turn one on yourself.

Kudos to you for having the presence of mind to ask first!
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(York County)

Check with any of the Sportsmans Clubs in you area and see if they have
    any of the NRA, First Step Classes scheduled. Also inquire at a local gun
    shop, sometimes they have flyers posted where classes are going to be held.
    Since you have worked security, Is you plan to take an armed position where
    you must comply with Act 120, in PA.?
    If you have not ever handled a firearm, especially a "Hand Gun" and would
    like to get familar with basics of firearms. Try this website to learn about
    ammunition, pistols and revolvers. www.genitron.com. . I would also direct
    you to another website: www.spw-duf.info/handgun.html . There is alot of
    information out there, these are good places to get relative information.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

Well.... These forums are a fantastic place to start. Someone here will be able to guide you toward a reputable gun store and range for training in your area.

For a first handgun I would reccomend a .22lr pistol. It's better to start with something small and build good habits than to start with something large and develop bad habits.

Look for a local range that offers the NRA Basic Pistol course. I took it last year even though I was probably at an intermediate level. I still learned quite a few things from the instructors.

A few questions for you if you don't mind....

1. What do you want to use the handgun for? target shooting, self defense, etc...
    2. Do you plan on getting your License To Carry Firearms? (LTCF)
    3. What is you level of firearms experience?

These forums have a great search option. It's in the upper left of every forum page. Chances are most answers to your questions can be found by reading through old threads, but if you can't find an answer to your liking, by all means ask away.
    What he said!!!

(Susquehanna County)

I'd like to thank everyone for your help and guidance.

Montanya: Thank you for the information I'll be sure to check it out.

PisnNapalm: No answer your questions
    #1 What do you want to use the hand gun for? As I stated I work in the field of security the next step for me would be an armed position.
    #2 Do you plan on getting your License To Carry A firearm? Yes
    #3 What is your level of experience? I've never touched a gun in my life. Instead I have studied Karate and Tai Chi with weaspons such as the staff and numchucks. I'm certified!
    So using a gun is new to me.

PA Rifleman: Thank You! I was doing a search and couldn't resist this site knowing all of you would be able to guide me in the right direction.

Fundamentals: To answer your question. Yes! In order to move up the ladder so to speak. The next step is an armed position but first I want to make sure I am confortable with the idea. Thank you for the information.

You have all been very helpful. Any other information you feel I might need to know feel free to share.

(Philadelphia County)

Believe it or not, a gun shop is not a bad place to start. When I got my first gun, the shop included a 20-minute "training" session for both my wife and I. After that, it was watching Youtube videos and going to the range frequently. Other than the Utah license course, neither of us had formal trainings, we are extremely comfortable with handling and operating all of the 12 guns that we own since becoming owners 10 months ago.

I frequent this forum, but not as often as the G&A shooting forum, but idea is to frequent forums with your questions.

Since you are in security, even if you may not be carrying a gun when you work, consider PA 235 training.

Whatever the case is, apply for your LTCF, even if you don't have a gun yet. It takes some time to get the license for some counties in PA.

Al

(Bucks County)

# 3 Certified ? ... most of us here might be categorized as Certifiable ... Gun Nutz

... girls are a big hit here too ... I just saw a Pic of one ... Yikes, they have ' different ' parts ... gonna read up on them
    A Hardball Game won't be won with a Softball Bat !