Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Firearm and LTCF eligibility question!

my mom lives in a really bad section 8 apt. building in wilkes barre, i want her to get a nice little .25 or something and get a LTCF, shes worried about being on welfare, housing assistance, and food and cash assistance that she wont be able to get one (my mom got hurt really bad at work 2 years ago her unemployment ran out, and they are still trying to settle on her settlement so this is her only option to live) is there anything stopping her? I'll do w/e i gotta do, buy the gun first and do a transfer and say its a gift w/e i just want her protected. PAFOA HELP ME!!!

-Tom

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Firearm and LTCF eligibility question!

Quote Originally Posted by Kemikal View Post
    my mom lives in a really bad section 8 apt. building in wilkes barre, i want her to get a nice little .25 or something and get a LTCF, shes worried about being on welfare, housing assistance, and food and cash assistance that she wont be able to get one (my mom got hurt really bad at work 2 years ago her unemployment ran out, and they are still trying to settle on her settlement so this is her only option to live) is there anything stopping her? I'll do w/e i gotta do, buy the gun first and do a transfer and say its a gift w/e i just want her protected. PAFOA HELP ME!!!

-Tom
    Other than having the financial means to purchase a firearm getting financial assistance does not disqualify you from purchasing a firearm in any way. As long as she has a clear criminal record to boot, should be zero issues. If she does have a felony or something like that in her past then you will have an issue, but nothing you listed here appears to be a problem for a firearm purchase or LTCF.

If she is by some chance ineligable to purchase a firearm and you "gift" her one that is a straw purchase and you can certainly get in a world of legal troubles for it. If you know she is eligable to purchase a firearm you can gift one from son - mother with no paperwork or transfer involved. Good luck!

(Luzerne County)

Economic status is not a consideration in the issuance of LTCF's.

Pa. is what is referred to as "shall issue" in regard to how LTCF's are issued.
    What this means is that if you have no criminal offenses that prohibit you from owning a firearm, and no issues with being a known drunk or "danger to the community" (per the discretion of the sheriff and/or the courts) then you will be issued a LTCF upon application.

So, if your mom does not meet any of the disqualifiers listed in 18PACS6109(e), she will have no problem getting an LTCF.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Montanya View Post

If she is by some chance ineligable to purchase a firearm and you "gift" her one that is a straw purchase and you can certainly get in a world of legal troubles for it. If you know she is eligable to purchase a firearm you can gift one from son - mother with no paperwork or transfer involved. Good luck!
    Small clarification. It is not illegal to gift a handgun to a party excepted from transfer (per 18PACS6111) unless you know or have reason to believe they are prohibited.
    Same for FTF (no transfer) sales/trades of long guns with any Pa. resident.

In other words, you need not know they are not prohibited. You just can't know they are. There is a difference

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Luzerne County)

yeah thanks alot guys, and no she never even got a parking ticket in 40 years of living shes clean, i guess ill drive her on over to the gun store! ill just have to pay for the gun and put it in her name thats all, i planned on paying for it anyways.

(Luzerne County)

Yeah, if you take here with you, just have her do the 4473 and SP4 forms. No issues with you paying.
    Go check out Advanced Arms in Pittson and tell Chris that Rich sent you

Remember Meleanie

(Luzerne County)

where do you think i just did my layaway yesterday on my glock 19 for my 21st bday Chris is AWESOME! you should read the post i put at http://www.pafoa.org/forum/shops-20/...gun-today.html about advanced arms

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kemikal View Post
    where do you think i just did my layaway yesterday on my glock 19 for my 21st bday Chris is AWESOME! you should read the post i put at http://www.pafoa.org/forum/shops-20/...gun-today.html about advanced arms
    Ah--- congrats I missed that thread

Remember Meleanie

(York County)

I have a few thoughts for you and maybe your Mom. Is she physically capable
    of handling a Handgun? Dou you plan to teach her ? or are you looking into
    where a class is being held on the basic of firearms?.The last thought that
    I have and feel is the most important. Does your Mom have the mental
    tougness to inflict severe bodily injury or death, upon another person. If she
    does, okay, If not, and the weapon is purchased as a device to scare some-
    one I would not do it. There are other measures that can be taken, that do
    not involve firearms. There is much more, but ask yourself, Is she really
    ready to do this.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"