Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Default N00b needs a good gun shop near Williamsport...

Hi there - just found my way over here from some friendly recommendations on thehighroad.org. Anyway, I'm moving to a kind of unpleasant neighborhood in Williamsport in about a week, and I would like to get a handgun for home protection. I'm young (23) and female, though, so I'm kind of concerned about being ignored or taken advantage of at a gun shop (had a mildly unpleasant experience at Tripoli's a couple days ago). So, can anyone recommend a gun shop in the area where they can give me some good guidance and will treat me well? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: N00b needs a good gun shop near Williamsport...

Sauers Trading in South Williamsport. John is a great person and is more than fair.

If you PM me I can give you some insight into places to practice. Are you attending Penn Tech? You stated that it is not a good neighborhood, I just assumed you were going to Penn Tech.

Dugan's in Hughesville (just past the Mall from your direction) is another one that is trustworthy.

Be safe.

Scott

(Union County)

Troxells is up on Lycoming Creek road and has great prices and a patient woman behind the counter who let us handle a lot of pistols without getting snippy. National Sporting Goods in Jersey Shore is also a good shop with nice people.

Speaking of Tripolis, I'm 22 and went there several weeks ago with my 23 year old friend and his 50-something year old dad. When the man came out from the back instead of returning our greeting he immediately demanded what we were looking for. My friends dad replied "1911 style pistols", the owner (Frank, I believe) gave my lanky friend a good look up and down and questioned how old he was. We were a bit taken back but my friend replied 23 and then Frank asked what brand he wanted. We were all still a little shocked from how short and quick he was towards us so I finally replied "well, all of them" to which he snapped back that he keeps the pistols in the safe and will only get a few out, then he asked how much we were willing to spend. That question finally upset my friend's rather meek dad enough that he simply said "nevermind" and we walked out.
    I've read the Sun-Gazette articles how Tripoli doesn't think everyone should own a gun and thinks everyone should be trained for them and I agree 100% but that doesn't mean you can treat potential customers like they are ignorant hoodlums from the ghetto who know nothing about guns.

Sorry for the rant, but since you mentioned the unpleasant experience there I thought I'd share mine.
    Last edited by LowCapacity; August 17th, 2008 at 11:48 PM.

(Butler County)

Wow, I never really had a bad experience at Tripoli's, but I didn't like his prices. I will second Troxell's on Lycoming Creek Road. I bought a shotgun there in December and was really pleased with the price and service. I've also heard good things about Dugan's in Hughesville.

(Bucks County)

You'll like us - we're contagious !
    A Hardball Game won't be won with a Softball Bat !

(Snyder County)

There are a few good ones around. I bought my XD at Graham's Sporting Goods in Jersey Shore. Steve runs the store at night so he is only open for a couple hours at night. But I always get damn good prices from him.

I also recommend Nationals Sporting Goods in Jersey Shore. Run by great guys. Would buy anything from them. Sauers in S. Williamsport is the same way. Troxells again, great people. I know there are more, but I can't think of them.

I personally have bought my most recent guns from Ron's Gun Repair in State College. Ron is a member here on this forum, and runs his business out of his home. He is an awesome guy and has opened his home up to many members here so many times for get togethers, yard sales, transfers, etc. His screen name on here is XRingShooter. You can PM him or email him and talk to him about different kinds of guns. He is very knowledgeable and willing to help anyone.

So you can see I am not partial to anyone really. Any of those places will treat you right. I don't live in Williamsport currently, but I used to. And I still work here. If you are looking to try out a few different guns, I can meet you at a range sometime. Or, if you are just looking for someone to tag along to a gun shop, let me know.

Hope this helps...

I am a female and also a noob in need of direction and information on where to shop for guns and also finding good places to take gun safety courses. Any help and direction, especially for females, would be appreciated. This thread was helpful for starters. THANK YOU !!