Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Monroe County & the Sheriff mandated that I needed 2 personal references

I will contact the PSP, to get the forms. Can not do HR 218, did not retire

(Juniata County)

Default Re: Monroe County & the Sheriff mandated that I needed 2 personal references

Quote Originally Posted by BallisticSheepDog76 View Post
    Either find two references from monroe county or hire a lawyer. Monroe county has historically had several additional requirements on the LCTF application that most other counties do not have. I actually got my permit from Monroe county (but now reside in Dauphin county). I have been told that the extra requirements are due to the fact that there are many New Yorkers who reside in Monroe county part-time and thus are not considered "full-time" residents of the county and are thereby not applicable for an LTCF. The "in county" references are supposed to keep these part-timers from obtaining carry permits. I personally feel this extra reference requirement (or any reference requirement) is unconstitutional. Suing the department could (and thats could - not will) change this requirement and significantly help others in the future who are dealing with the same issue as you.

That maybe a reason, but it is a bogus one as the State does not legally define who a resident of a citizen of the Commonwealth is. The law on the Commonwealth militia says everyone over 16.5 years who is a citizen or who intends to become a citizens is a member of the militia. Since military service (and citizenship) is generally more restrictive than residency, I would say this sets a low bar.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; June 21st, 2016 at 01:40 PM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Quote Originally Posted by Kjwill888 View Post
    I will contact the PSP, to get the forms. Can not do HR 218, did not retire
    You can meet the LEOSA "Qualified Retired LEO" definition without having retired. Hell, you'd qualify if you had the years under your belt and quit to flip burgers.

(c) As used in this section, the term “qualified retired law enforcement officer” means an individual who—
    (1) separated from service in good standing from service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer;
    (2) before such separation, was authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and had statutory powers of arrest or apprehension under section 807(b) of title 10, United States Code (article 7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice);
    (3)
    (A) before such separation, served as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 10 years or more; or
    (B) separated from service with such agency, after completing any applicable probationary period of such service, due to a service-connected disability, as determined by such agency;
    (4) during the most recent 12-month period, has met, at the expense of the individual, the standards for qualification in firearms training for active law enforcement officers, as determined by the former agency of the individual, the State in which the individual resides or, if the State has not established such standards, either a law enforcement agency within the State in which the individual resides or the standards used by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State;
    (5)
    (A) has not been officially found by a qualified medical professional employed by the agency to be unqualified for reasons relating to mental health and as a result of this finding will not be issued the photographic identification as described in subsection (d)(1); or
    (B) has not entered into an agreement with the agency from which the individual is separating from service in which that individual acknowledges he or she is not qualified under this section for reasons relating to mental health and for those reasons will not receive or accept the photographic identification as described in subsection (d)(1);
    (6) is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and
    (7) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.
    As for the LTCF application, you're looking for the SP 4-127 (10-2012). The version on most counties or sheriffs websites is the generic form.
    NRA Life Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BallisticSheepDog76 View Post
    Either find two references from monroe county or hire a lawyer. Monroe county has historically had several additional requirements on the LCTF application that most other counties do not have. I actually got my permit from Monroe county (but now reside in Dauphin county). I have been told that the extra requirements are due to the fact that there are many New Yorkers who reside in Monroe county part-time and thus are not considered "full-time" residents of the county and are thereby not applicable for an LTCF. The "in county" references are supposed to keep these part-timers from obtaining carry permits. I personally feel this extra reference requirement (or any reference requirement) is unconstitutional. Suing the department could (and thats could - not will) change this requirement and significantly help others in the future who are dealing with the same issue as you.
    Actually, there is already a lawsuit filed against the Sheriff which includes a challenge to his policies. There is a preliminary injunction pending, which will hopefully be decided in the next several weeks, which would preclude him from requiring references to be Monroe County residents. It also challenges, among other things, whether he can require references...
    Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com

Thinking of moving to Monroe County, my fingers are crossed.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmythe View Post
    Making two Monroe county friends and providing income tax paperwork, while it's completely stupid and against our state's very well defined procedure for getting a LTCF... is miles better than anything NJ has to offer.

Anywhere in PA is better than NJ. Welcome in advance to PA, and don't vote for the same type of dbags that made Jersey what it is.

(Monroe County)

Were are you thinking of moving to here in the county M?
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmythe View Post
    Please stay in Newark, getting crowded over here in Pa. with gun loving people.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigForLife View Post
    Actually, there is already a lawsuit filed against the Sheriff which includes a challenge to his policies. There is a preliminary injunction pending, which will hopefully be decided in the next several weeks, which would preclude him from requiring references to be Monroe County residents. It also challenges, among other things, whether he can require references...
    Here is the judgement against Philly for their illegal policies. It may help in other counties.
    MikeP

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by priell3 View Post
    Here is the judgement against Philly for their illegal policies. It may help in other counties.
    Thanks for the link. I'm well aware of it, as I litigated it
    Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast