Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Monroe County & the Sheriff mandated that I needed 2 personal references

Hello ladies & gents, just registered w/ the forum so this is first post here.

I spent the last 3 days reading the entire "Where you CAN and CANNOT carry" sticky thread; overall, great info & wonderful way to spend some downtime when bored at work. Thanks to all who put it together & contributed to it.

I recently received my LTCF through Monroe County & the Sheriff mandated that I needed 2 personal references who also were residents of Monroe County. I know the issue of references was brought up a while ago, but could I have conceivably listed references who aren't Monroe County residents and my background check still be conducted? Long story short, does the state law for conducting background checks for LTCF approval overrule any rules & regulations that the individual county sheriff may try to enforce?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Mauser2447; April 30th, 2016 at 12:30 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Monroe County & the Sheriff mandated that I needed 2 personal references

I live in Allegheny and they also ask for two references on the form. That being said, I showed up with the form, they gave me my LTCF. No one was called this time nor the last time.

That does not answer your question but it tells you how silly the references are.
    Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much, such men are dangerous

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Monroe County & the Sheriff mandated that I needed 2 personal references

Either find two references from monroe county or hire a lawyer. Monroe county has historically had several additional requirements on the LCTF application that most other counties do not have. I actually got my permit from Monroe county (but now reside in Dauphin county). I have been told that the extra requirements are due to the fact that there are many New Yorkers who reside in Monroe county part-time and thus are not considered "full-time" residents of the county and are thereby not applicable for an LTCF. The "in county" references are supposed to keep these part-timers from obtaining carry permits. I personally feel this extra reference requirement (or any reference requirement) is unconstitutional. Suing the department could (and thats could - not will) change this requirement and significantly help others in the future who are dealing with the same issue as you.
    Vote Hillary for Prison 2016

(Luzerne County)

There is no requirement that the references must be from Monroe County or even PA. What the sheriff is doing is illegal. You could submit your application, but they will either refuse it on the spot or refuse to issue you the license after reviewing your application. If I recall, the sheriff must submit a letter stating why you are being refused the license. Someone else should be able to tell you what your options are when refused. I think you can file an appeal and the sheriff will have to explain his reasoning for the refusal to a judge.

(Wyoming County)

I applied for my permit in Wyoming County and the two references I had were from California. I was not a problem, and neither of those two references were contacted. It must be county specific.
    Doug

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Fart View Post
    It must be county specific.
    Yes, it seems that way. Monroe County Sheriff specifies that 2 personal references who reside in Monroe County be listed on the application, along with a copy of my local income tax (presumably to verify that I am a full-time resident), and a copy of my military discharge paperwork.

Postcards were sent out to both of my references who needed to fill them out and return them in the mail. I felt a bit uneasy about this since they weren't in sealed envelopes or anything.

I had to submit the application in person at the Sheriff's office in the courthouse & pay the $6 fee, get my photo taken, etc. Then about 35 days later, I received a sliver of paper in the mail stating my LCTF was ready for pickup. Had to go back to the courthouse & pay $14 to be handed my LCTF.

Despite the process being outlined in state law, it seems each & every county has a bit of a different process. I understand the purpose behind the background check and whatnot, but it seems like Monroe Country is one of the more difficult counties to get an LCTF... perhaps the rules are they way they are to deter people from attempting to get a LCTF or the sheriff just doesn't want to be bothered, etc. All the extra hoops to jump through... Its a shame.

I'd love to make some waves & challenge the process, but I don't have the time or finances to officially do anything about it.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser2447 View Post
    ...and a copy of my military discharge paperwork...
    Why? Just fucking why?

/rant

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser2447 View Post
    I'd love to make some waves & challenge the process, but I don't have the time or finances to officially do anything about it.
    A hard-copy letter to your State Representative pointing out the law and how the Sheriff is operating in contrary to said law doesn't cost very much, or take too much time.

(Luzerne County)

Isn't the Monroe county sheriff currently being sued for this type of nonsense?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Monroe County)

Monroe County is in the process of being sued right now and the Sheriff knows this. A motion for a preliminary injunction to make them stop asking for the things they are being sued for is being filed. Basically they want him to stop asking for shit he has no legal right to ask for and to obey State law.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast