Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opinions on Kahr K9

My other thread about helping me decide on a double stack nine went very well, and I'm happy with the choice I made (Beretta 92) with the advice from the boards.

I'm looking for a small (ish) semi-auto that can be used for deep concealment (pocket carry) but is not quite a mouse gun type of deal. My preferences are: 1) all steel frame 2) smaller in size / weight than my HK P7. 3) durable and reliable.

I do like the stainless 5 shot J-frames, but I'm wanting something with a higher capacity and faster reloads. I can pocket carry a stainless j-frame no problem, so that size /weight is about right.

AFter doing a bunch of searching, it seems like the Kahr K9 fits my criteria to the bill. It's smaller and lighter than my HK P7. It is all steel, and it seems like a good gun. I'd like to hear opinions from the forum on the K9. Is it reliable and durable? Do you like yours? How often does the recoil spring need changing? Is it a high maintenance gun?

Finally, am I missing any other good pistols that fit this criteria?
    Thanks in advance.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Opinions on Kahr K9

Kahr pistols are very well made and conceal very easily. I currently have a PM9 in my waistband as I write this. I had a P45, which is roughly the same size as a K9 but had to sell it a few years ago during a financial pinch. The single stack magazines allow for the dimensions of the guns to be very slim which is most of the battle when concealing. For me appendix in the waistband works perfectly. I find the feel of the bigger Kahrs to be just a little awkward though. The grips are very small and I have larger hands. To make my PM9 right for me I used a few wraps of tennis racket tape. It takes away from the aesthetics of the firearm but made me able to shoot it much better. The double action trigger is as smooth as it could be and once you get the feel of it you'll notice it breaks at the same point every pull. I've heard stories about them needing a long break in period but I didn't experience that personally. I bought the 45 used but the little nine was brand new and I never had a problem with it. The slide racks a little tight and gritty but it is by design. They use a very stiff spring. It is a gun that will take a fair amount of shooting to get comfortable with but once you do, if you're like me, you'll love it.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Cumberland County)

IMO they are a great choice for an edc gun. I have two, one NYPD trade in stainless and another in the black stainless. I threw some Kahr wood grips on the NYPD one, and left the other one stock. Great quality, accurate, smaller but all steel. I've never had any issues with mine. I've never replaced anything other than the new grips, but haven't put many rounds through it. Only thing I would say is a negative is the recommended break in period. If Glock's are good to go right out of the box, why do brands like Kahr say they need a fairly lengthy break in period Both of mine were second hand so I didn't have to worry about that though! Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback.

Seems like they are really good pistols.

(Monroe County)

I have a T9, an MK9, and a K40. Kahr steel guns are well made.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Centre County)

I had T9 and K9.
    I don't trust plastic Kahr, but their bigger metal guns(K9 and T9) are like little Jewels.
    Loved mine, totally reliable, and SUPER accurate(once you master the their DAO trigger, which is bit peculiar) and regret selling mine(I had to to fund my SBR project at the time...).
    Only thing is that because its metal framed gun, its bit on heavier side(compared to similarly sized polymer guns, like G43/XD-s, and like PPS)

If I come across nice one, I'd buy one in instant.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

In the past, I have owned 3 Kahr P9s, my wife has owned a K9, T9, and P9.
    Not bad guns at all, but they were "finicky" as far as ammo/reliability went.

A few weeks ago I looked at one of the Kahr CW9s, but passed on it; lots of other small single stack 9s that appeal to me more at this point in time. (PPS M2, Glock 43, Ruger LCP9s Pro and the Shield to name a few).
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(York County)

I've had two K9 pistols, both older models. I love(d) them both. I only sold the first K9 because I had some "custom" work done to it. A guy I knew saw it and offered me way more than I had put into it.

The trigger is a long double action trigger, but smooth and not heavy for a DA. If you're okay with your Beretta's double action pull then you'll love the K9 trigger. Reliability is great. The first K9 I had really didn't like having the slide babied on loading but my current one loads smooth every time babied or not. They're very accurate for the size and recoil is almost non existent.

My only real complaint with the K9 is holster availability sucks compared to Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, etc. etc.
    --Adam

(Lancaster County)

Worth taking a look at a couple of Sig's. I carry the P938. Good pocket gun, but designed to be carried cocked and locked like a 1911. I carry it IWB, hides well, but it also will work as a pocket gun. You could carry it without one chambered if you are comfortable that way. Some will day never to do that. To me, it is what the shooter is comfortable doing and carrying. There is something to be said for the person on the muzzle end seeing and hearing a round being chambered to defuse a situation. Whether you have one chambered or not, what happens in the first second or two is up to you and your experience with the firearm.

I bought my P938 in 2013 and it has been flawless. Very accurate for a short sight radius. You will find some posts about problems, in particular the Main Spring Housing was an issue. Never had the problem with mine. Sig redesigned the MSH and it is not a problem now. Their P225A-1 is nice but probably not a real pocket gun. Either is going to cost a little more. I had a Kahr P9 but sold it. The trigger guard area was too small. I did not really like the trigger. After shooting a number of rounds, my finger was raw from rubbing on the guard.

If you are comfortable with a .380, the Sig P238 is a dynamite pocket or ankle holster gun. [Please, lets not start a long thread about the .380 vs the 9mm vs the .45. Argue that elsewhere.] That is not the point of this thread.

(Bucks County)

^^^^ The Sig P290 is a nice little single stack DAO that never seems to get much love.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast