Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Abnormally short cartridge

I'm relatively new to firearms, so please excuse me if this is a stupid question. I bought about 1000 rounds of MagTech 9mm, 115 gr., and it's been shooting fine. However, while I was recharging the magazines yesterday, I noticed that two of the factory-made cartridges in the box are noticeably shorter than the rest - about 3 mm under the usual 9mm size. If you look closely, there's a slight ridge on the side of the brass - it looks like the bullet was pressed in too far.

My default reaction is not to use these, but that's just a gut feeling. Anyone have suggestions? If these aren't safe to use, what's the best way to dispose of them?

Thanks!
    Last edited by shinobi; May 1st, 2016 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Clearing up reloading vs. recharging.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Abnormally short cartridge

Are they 380 brass by any chance or is it 9mm brass. I don't think I'd shoot it if it has a visible deformity in the case

Could be makarov cases?

(Dauphin County)

It is probably best to not shoot it. I don't know how "hot" Magtech loads their ammunition, but seating a bullet too deep can cause a pressure increase as the powder burns. While it may not be a dangerous increase, you just don't know. When reloaders make a mistake like that, they usually dis-assemble those cartridges and start over, instead of risking damage to gun and body.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Could be makarov cases?
    Makarov is 9x18, Luger is 9x19, a 1mm difference. 3mm is too large to be a Mak case. Good thinking though! .380 is supposed to be x17.3mm. This seems the more logical cause here.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Clarion County)

Are you talking about reloading the magazine or reloading the case? Sounds like reloading the mag with factory magtech ammo. Is there a headstamp on the brass? With foreign ammo it may be a metric number like ianb116 was describing.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by ianb1116 View Post
    Makarov is 9x18, Luger is 9x19, a 1mm difference. 3mm is too large to be a Mak case. Good thinking though! .380 is supposed to be x17.3mm. This seems the more logical cause here.
    I think he's referring to the overall length of the cartridge. 9x19 would be around 29mm overall and 9x18 @ 25. Much closer to what the op described, but I don't think magtech makes any 9x18. I couldn't be wrong though. I think it's much more likely there was an issue with seating depth and they are 9x19 with the bullet seated to deep, in which case I wouldn't fire them.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    It is probably best to not shoot it. I don't know how "hot" Magtech loads their ammunition, but seating a bullet too deep can cause a pressure increase as the powder burns. While it may not be a dangerous increase, you just don't know. When reloaders make a mistake like that, they usually dis-assemble those cartridges and start over, instead of risking damage to gun and body.
    ^^^ this^^^

I've done it accidentally while seating reloads. Time to pull the bullet and readjust your dies when that happens.

(Centre County)

I meant recharging the magazine with factory ammunition. Sorry about the confusion. The brass is stamped '9mm Luger CBC'.

Thank you for the advice! Does anyone know the best way to safely dispose of the ammo?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by shinobi View Post
    I meant recharging the magazine with factory ammunition. Sorry about the confusion. The brass is stamped '9mm Luger CBC'.

Thank you for the advice! Does anyone know the best way to safely dispose of the ammo?
    Do you know anyone that reloads? If you do they probably have a bullet puller. Myself I would pull the bullet, dump the powder, fire the primer and resize/reload.

If you don't know anyone who can pull the bullet safely, soak them in oil and throw them out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast