Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2016 AR Pistol Questions

So I have been reading & would just like some clarification on a few things.

1. When ordering a stripped AR lower online & having it sent to your FFL do I need to have it sent any special way? As in written up as OTHER or PISTOL from the online dealer. Does it need to say PISTOL on the lower itself?

2. Going along with #1 when it gets to my FFL it should be written up as OTHER? So that it can be used as a PISTOL or a RIFLE.

I am more then likely going to see if my local FFL has any in stock to choose from.

3. Once it is purchased from the online dealer & sent to the FFL and the transfer is paid for and all that, does it need to be taken back once the PISTOL upper is installed? I believe it to be no, but I want to be sure.

4. I know a VFG can't be added as it would be considered an SBR. But an AFG can be used?

I am going to be buying a stripped lower here and a LPK and PISTOL buffer tube kit soon.

AND YES I KNOW NO STOCK OR IT CONSTITUTES AN SBR AND YOU NEED A TAX STAMP FOR THAT.

Thanks
    Last edited by PA1936MN; April 28th, 2016 at 04:16 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 2016 AR Pistol Questions

1. Nothing special. Just order it, and have it sent to your FFL.
    2. Yes, your FFL should transfer it as an "other". If they tell you otherwise, they are feeding you BS.
    3. No. Once its complete, regardless of pistol or rifle, you have no other obligation.
    4. Correct, angled fore grips are acceptable, vertical are not . (politicians blow my mind...)

Quote Originally Posted by AHelm3 View Post
    1. Nothing special. Just order it, and have it sent to your FFL.
    2. Yes, your FFL should transfer it as an "other". If they tell you otherwise, they are feeding you BS.
    3. No. Once its complete, regardless of pistol or rifle, you have no other obligation.
    4. Correct, angled fore grips are acceptable, vertical are not . (politicians blow my mind...)
    Thank you

Just keep in mind that if you build the lower as a rifle...you cannot build it as a pistol, so don't be taking pictures of it and posting it online.

Now, if you built the lower as a pistol...you can later on build it as a rifle and back to pistol.

It's some goofy laws that is for sure.

(Centre County)

As an FFL, I can say that both AHelm3 and Aubie515 answers are correct. Too many people over think this and listen to the wrong people (like gun dealers that say a lower has to be transferred as a pistol. That was dealt with (in PA) many years ago and the PSP got their weenie slapped pretty hard by the ATF about this).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

4. You can add a VFG if the AR pistola is over 26" (end of the buffer tube to end of the threads on the barrel),but, the pistol is now a "firearm" and should be treated as such…..
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Just keep in mind that if you build the lower as a rifle...you cannot build it as a pistol, so don't be taking pictures of it and posting it online.

Now, if you built the lower as a pistol...you can later on build it as a rifle and back to pistol.

It's some goofy laws that is for sure.
    It is for this reason you want it transferred as "other", enabling a pistol build then rifle build afterward, if you so choose.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by AJRB View Post
    It is for this reason you want it transferred as "other", enabling a pistol build then rifle build afterward, if you so choose.
    Just FYI, a virgin stripped AR lower, no matter what is written on the lower, in PA, is always an "Other". It is not anything other than an "Other". This is clearly spelled out in the instructions for the ATF Form 4473 and is the reason a gun dealer cannot sell a virgin stripped receiver to someone that is under 21 years old. It is an "Other" until it is built into a rifle (long or SBR) or a pistol. The PSP a number of years ago tried (and succeeded in some cases) to coerce/force FFL's to call them pistols and do the SP4-113. The vast majority of FFL's fought this and the BATFE stepped in at the request of the FFL's and SLAMMED the PSP for trying to do this.

Now that said, if someone builds it into a rifle and shoots it for a year, then strips the upper and the buttstock off and builds a pistol, if no one knows that it (that particular s/n) was built into a rifle first, who is going to question or even know, other than the owner, that the law was broken. Just saying and not advocating anything.

(Philadelphia County)

Sorry to resurrect a recently dormant thread, but I figured it would be better than making yet another new one on this topic. Is a fresh LAR-15 receiver (RRA's stripped AR-15 Lower) purchased as an "other" category also good to go to build into a pistol? Thanks.

(Centre County)

A stripped lower, no matter who makes it is an "Other" in the eyes of the ATF and PSP (now). Even if you buy a complete lower with either a pistol buffer or a rifle buffer and buttstock, it is still considered a "Other" as it has not been barreled yet. Even if you buy it with a pistol buffer, you can take that off and build a rifle. Even if it has a rifle buttstock, you can take that off and build a pistol. Right now a few places are selling complete lowers, both pistol and rifle configurations that are so inexpensive that people are buying then that way just to get the lower. Until a builder puts a barreled upper on the lower, the lower should always be shown as an "Other" on the 4473. As I said in another post:

It's not what it could be in the future, but what it actually is when doing the transfer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast