Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default What firearms can you carry?

What types of firearms are you allowed to conceal carry with a PA LTCF?

Obviously you can carry any handgun/pistol loaded on your person or in your vehicle. I know rifles and shotguns are a no-no because of archaic hunting laws.

How about AOW's, SBR's, or SBS's? Can you legally carry these loaded either on your person or in your vehicle anywhere you could carry or have a loaded handgun/pistol in PA?

I would also like links to PA law as a reference so I don't have to tell a cop/judge some guy on the internet said it was ok.

Thanks

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: What firearms can you carry?

If your in Philly like me... Trust me

Just stick to handguns

OC is one thing... A rifle... Philly's SWAT team would be on standby

(Philadelphia County)

I spend time in Philly and also in northern PA. I'm more interested in the aspect of being able to use one of my SBR's or SBS's as a truck gun i.e. having it loaded up in the passenger area next to me while driving between the two.

I'm not interested in actually carrying a loaded SBR under a trench coat if that's what you think I was implying lol. I just grouped on my person with in a vehicle in my question because that is how this state decided to treat CCW. Also in Philly you can't OC without a LTCF anyway.

(Jefferson County)

You can carry any firearm you want in PA, with exception of a couple designs that are prohibited under PA's Prohibited Offensive Weapons which you cannot possess in PA unless under NFA tax stamp.

PA regulates the concealment and carrying within a vehicle of "firearms" which has a specific definition. Carrying of a "Firearm" concealed, or within a vehicle(openly or concealed), requires a LTCF. So does carrying ANY type of firearm on public domain within Philly or during a state of emergency.

PA's LTCF doesn't grant a permission, it declares an exemption. No license is required to carry a long gun(rifle/shotgun) openly or concealed outside of Philly and absent an "emergency". However, at no time can a loaded long gun be in, on, or upon a vehicle(whether licensed or not). The only time your LTCF matters to rifles/shotguns is within Philly or during a state of emergency.

18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6102
    § 6102. Definitions

“Firearm.” Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

“Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm. If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You can carry any firearm you want in PA, with exception of a couple designs that are prohibited under PA's Prohibited Offensive Weapons which you cannot possess in PA unless under NFA tax stamp.

PA regulates the concealment and carrying within a vehicle of "firearms" which has a specific definition. Carrying of a "Firearm" concealed, or within a vehicle(openly or concealed), requires a LTCF. So does carrying ANY type of firearm on public domain within Philly or during a state of emergency.

PA's LTCF doesn't grant a permission, it declares an exemption. No license is required to carry a long gun(rifle/shotgun) openly or concealed outside of Philly and absent an "emergency". However, at no time can a loaded long gun be in, on, or upon a vehicle(whether licensed or not). The only time your LTCF matters to rifles/shotguns is within Philly or during a state of emergency.

18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6102
    § 6102. Definitions

“Firearm.” Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

“Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm. If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.
    So according to this part in bold, an SBR with a barrel less than 16" or an SBS with a barrel less than 18" would be classified as a "Firearm" and therefore be allowed to be loaded in a vehicle or on your person concealed in PA and in Philadelphia according to this definition?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SBR View Post
    So according to this part in bold, an SBR with a barrel less than 16" or an SBS with a barrel less than 18" would be classified as a "Firearm" and therefore be allowed to be loaded in a vehicle or on your person concealed in PA and in Philadelphia according to this definition?
    Legally yes, because NFA items are 'firearms.'

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by SBR View Post
    Yes with a LTCF.

With exception of a couple oddity guns, you can carry ANY gun in PA. But carrying "firearms" concealed or in a vehicle requires a LTCF.

When in Philly, or during an emergency statewide, a LTCF is required to carry any type of gun("firearm", rifle, shotgun).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Legally yes, because NFA items are 'firearms.'
    Not all NFA items are "firearms" in PA. SBS, SBR, and AOW are due to measurements.

However machineguns and destructive devices may or may not be, depending on their actual measurements.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Not all NFA items are "firearms" in PA. SBS, SBR, and AOW are due to measurements.

However machineguns and destructive devices may or may not be, depending on their actual measurements.
    Correct. Was trying to answer the SBR/SBS question. Should have answered saying 'these' NFA items are firearms.

(Dauphin County)

You could utilize an AR pistol, AK pistol or similar rifle caliber pistol. Then you get the benefits of a rifle cartridge and the paperwork to prove they are handguns (should you ever need to do so). You certainly can go the SBR/SBS route, but utilizing your LTCF to carry a rifle caliber pistol is perfectly acceptable. Unless you're dead set on having a shotgun in your car. If thats the case - an SBS is your best bet. I have never actually met anyone personally who carries an NFA item in this manner, but have met several individuals who utilize AR pistols or AK pistols as trunk guns.
    Vote Hillary for Prison 2016

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast