Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Glock 19 VS. Glock 23

Good day gentlemen. I am in need of input. I currently own a Glock 22. I have always been interested in getting a 19, was looking for one used, hard to find. But I am able to grab up a police trade Glock 23. I had not really looked at these before even though I have the G22 I was looking at having a 9mm for various reasons, mostly ammo availability in a pinch. I know law enforcement uses the .40. Any input? The dimensions of the two guns are identical except for the mag capacity.
    Also for concealability I never used to think of the Glock 27 but now that I might be interested in the 23 I would consider going down that road. So my real question may be what do you think of .40 versus 9mm, in various scenarios? SHTF? Availability?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Glock 19 VS. Glock 23

Get a g23 and buy a 40 to 9 conversion barrel and g19 magazine if your worried about shtf.

(Montgomery County)

During the last sharp increase in demand (the post sandy hook panic) .40 was actually easier to get than 9mm. It's still a bit more expensive than 9.

If you enjoy the G22, I would get a G27. Reason being is that the 23 is still pretty similar in size. The 27 is more concealable but still accepts 15 rd G22 mags which you have already. The 27 is only down one round from the 26.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    During the last sharp increase in demand (the post sandy hook panic) .40 was actually easier to get than 9mm. It's still a bit more expensive than 9.

If you enjoy the G22, I would get a G27. Reason being is that the 23 is still pretty similar in size. The 27 is more concealable but still accepts 15 rd G22 mags which you have already. The 27 is only down one round from the 26.
    I seem to all of a sudden be leaning towards a G27. Like you said I can use the full size G22 mag. I know it sounds silly but...I like to carry pretty much every hand gun I own. I do not carry the G22 because it is so big and I have S&W 686 with a 6 inch barrel that I only carry when I hunt. But everything else I carry. I have a G36 that I love to carry and the G27 is about the same size. If I got it I would look to get a couple of those mag extenders with the extra round. I don't have a .40 that I carry so I was really considering the G27 at this point.

(Northumberland County)

A G27 is my everyday carry. I've tried the +0 extension and the +1 extension. I still mostly carry with the plain old G27 mag, as it conceals better for me. When I want more rounds (or I'm wearing something bulkier that conceals well) I like the x-grip adaptor over a G23 mag. More capacity and factory mag reliability. They make one to fit your G22 mags as well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/816...-polymer-black

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post
    A G27 is my everyday carry. I've tried the +0 extension and the +1 extension. I still mostly carry with the plain old G27 mag, as it conceals better for me. When I want more rounds (or I'm wearing something bulkier that conceals well) I like the x-grip adaptor over a G23 mag. More capacity and factory mag reliability. They make one to fit your G22 mags as well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/816...-polymer-black
    Yea. I really like that! G23 capacity when you want it! That looks like the way to go.
    Thanks for the input. I was really struggling with this and what made me iffy was I didn't want to give up my G22 and now go with all 9mm platform stuff. I really like the conceal-ability of the G27 maybe with the Pearce grips mag extension for two extra rounds but I really like the idea of going with the higher capacity of the G23!
    I love Glocks.

(Cumberland County)

Get a Glock.

Oh, wait......
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by SHEPHERD321 View Post
    Get a g23 and buy a 40 to 9 conversion barrel and g19 magazine if your worried about shtf.
    This

Best of both worlds.

(Montgomery County)

I used to have a 22, 23 and 27, but I ended up selling the 23 because it was too close in size to the 22 and if I was gonna carry a gun that big I just might as well grab the bigger one.

So, if sticking with .40, toss the 27 on your ankle and the 22 on your hip, which is what I often do (always with a 43 in the pocket too).

Speaking of the 43. It is less bitchy to me to shoot than the 27, which suggests that maybe 9mm is better in a gun that size. Something to consider before plunking down your cash. If I could go back, I'd have gotten a 26 instead of a 27, but I've got a ton of .40 around and figure I may as well use it. I'll grab a 26 at some point future.

(Bucks County)

For a few years I was semi-seriously looking for a good price on a clean used Glock. I say semi-seriously because for years all those model numbers were Greek to me. Sort of like the FLH******** models of Harleys.

At a gun show I found clean Gen 3 Model 23s with Trijicon night sights that still worked for $350. I grabbed one, took it home, then found out what a great choice I had made.

Stock, it's .40 S&W. Since it's a .40, it's an easy conversion to .357 Sig. I quickly obtained a 9mm conversion barrel and bought model 19 mags. Guess what.
    9mm feeds fine from a .40 magazine. Obviously that's not a good idea for EDC, but it works great for steel challenge and such.

I have large hands, yet the G23 feels and looks like a full-sized handgun even though rated a middle-weight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast