Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Open Carry: Sheetz #258

I was inside the Sheetz in town yesterday and got in line for the cashier to pay for my purchases. A guy was a few places ahead of me and he was wearing a handgun openly on his belt. I made it a point to not stare at his sidearm so I couldn't really say what type it was. And while I don't consider myself a gun gear snob, I could see that it was riding in a ballistic nylon holster which flopped around a bit every time he moved. The good thing was that the people around him seemed either be completely at ease with the presence of his sidearm, or totally oblivious. I noted that it was mostly men who were stealing sideways glances at it. (I guess it's a guy thing). There were none of the liberal hysterics that you read about in the gun blogs, like people rushing out of the store, or talking on their cell phones and casting frighten looks at the guy.

The two reasons why I'm posting is this.

The guy was standing in line with both his arms crossed at his chest and his gun side exposed directly to the person standing behind him, who was less than 2 feet away. Well within grabbing distance. His attention was directed straight forward towards the sales counter and the cashier, and he made no attempts to scan the surroundings around him. After he paid for his food, he went over to the food prep area and he stood there again with his arms crossed at his chest. Seriously, anyone who really wanted to, could have approached him from behind and just bashed his head in and snatched his sidearm. Which leads me to my second reason.

The guy's nylon holster did seem to have a retention strap on the sidearm, but LEOs who have to carry their service weapon openly have to use a holster with level two or higher retention features. I personally have duty holsters that meet that requirement for my ACT 235 work, and use holsters from Bladetech that only have level one retention for concealed carry where speed in presentation is critical.

I didn't post this with the intent of starting an Open vs. Concealed Carry fight, nor am I wanting to embarrass the open carry guy, but I just thought I would express some of my concerns about additional safeguards I would need to take if I ever decide to open carry.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Open Carry: Sheetz #258

I have a cheapo nylon holster for my 357 because it's not my carry gun, it stays in the house unless it goes to the range with me. When it does, it gets OCed in the cheap holster. I guess I've probably been judged once or twice but it's by people who don't know the circumstances.

(Delaware County)

My EDC is a full size 1911 in a tuckable IWB that only gets intentionally concealed at work. The only retention features are the good mold of the Kydex, a tight-fitting, heavy leather belt, and one big 'ol love handle laid over the grip. The only time anyone else tried to remove it ( http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=216917 ), it was obviously something that wasn't gonna happen without my cooperation.

In public my head swivels about as much as is physically possible. Anyone clue-full (a.k.a. not clueless) enough to notice the gun (few and far between) will also notice that I am aware of their presence.

My 2¢

GLOCK in a SERPA II with a PROPER belt is the only way to go.

My 3¢
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Venango County)

Let's hope he was at least using mirrors or other reflective surfaces to see around himself (or was SpecOps, lol).
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

I have a 12.00 blackhawk, it has zero retention. No oc for me unless I have a retention holster.
    Just my 4cents.

(Susquehanna County)

I have been doing more and more open carry. When I do it is only with level 2 retention as a minimum. should I be distracted and someone grabs for my firearm I want those extra moments to stop them and beat the brakes off them.
    My current favorite are my leather pancakes with thumb break straps from TheHolsterStore.net .. they sit close, no wiggles and would be dang near impossible to draw from the rear, unless I was unconscious face down.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

My experience with open carry limited and I have only done it around my local town where most seem to be comfortable or used to it. I have carried a Glock 19/17 in a Safariland ALS (6378) holster with the added lever guard. It's not coming out of that rig unless I am the one getting it out. As far as what I see other do it has ranged from 5'4" 400lb men who cant seem to keep their pants up above their ass cracks due to the chewed up leather strap that might have once been a belt when it started it's life 30 years ago, a cheapo $9.99 uncle mikes nylon holster with a velcro strap sporting a full sized M&P something that appears to be ready to fall out with every movement they take. On the opposite side of the spectrum I have spotted several younger guy's with tightly secured close to the body holsters that most people might not even notice because they fit properly and are using a very good belt.

To each their own my way sure aint the highway so I cant judge.
    Last edited by Hodgie; April 27th, 2016 at 05:05 PM.

(Lancaster County)

I got complimented on my holster, SL6378 and sturdy belt today. Hit up several gun shops ( Mallin's Rod&Gun, Morr's Outdoors and Musser's Outdoors ) had good conversation about guns and politics.

Mallin's was a blast from the past. I grew up in that area and bought my first handguns there. My Dad and Jere would shoot the shit and I'd look around and try to say something intelligent.

(Juniata County)

I do think a good holster is important.

Cops need a retention holster because they do things which would never be done by other people in similar situations. They get into physical contact well armed - something that prison guards, or the military does not do. I used a retention holster when in a crowd, normally I use a leather holster.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast