Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Sig's legion line

Has anybody gotten to play with/shoot one of these guns yet? I really like the look of the 226 SAO, Im not sure if I'll make it out toady of my usual spots this week, to see if they have one in stock. I could certainly use another sig in the safe

Looking for any info on them/ first impressions.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Sig's legion line

Yes, I had a chance to handle with the 229 legion in .357 sig. It's a sweet gun but I strongly dislike the slide release. I'll be sticking with my original 226.
    Vote Hillary for Prison 2016

(Montgomery County)

I bought one yesterday. I have not fired it yet. Here are my thoughts from handling the S.A.O. model. The trigger is excellent, there is some take up but it isn't excessive, a very short reset and it has a crisp break. It is not a 1911 trigger, but it is as close to a 1911 trigger that I have experienced in a platform other than a 1911. The sights are good. They are reminiscent of the Trijicon HD sights. The front sight is not as large as the trijicon front and the rears are not as "blacked out" as the trijicon rears. However, they will pass and they are much better than the standard "three dot" tritium night sights where the dots are all identical and can be crossed/confused. The thumb safety is outstanding. Very positive and smooth, I'd welcome this safety on some of my 1911s. The finish is nice, the pistol press checks well with the front serrations. The undercut on the trigger guard is well executed. The best way I can describe this pistol is a double stack 1911 in 9mm without all the issues associated with running 9mm double stack mags in that platform. This assessment, is of course dependent on the gun running like a typical 226.

Here are some other thoughts: I abandoned Sigs several years ago and sold off a 226 and a 229 in favor of grip modified Glock 19s and 17s. The grips on the Sigs were too big for my hands to allow for a natural and comfortable reach to the trigger. I have zero issues with this Legion pistol in terms of a comfortable grip and easy reach to the trigger. In addition, the front strap checkering and the grips combine to form a "sticky" hold on the pistol. The pistol also points quite naturally.

Despite the fact that I am a "die hard" Glock guy who spends a lot of money making Glocks "right" and also enjoys running 1911s, I bought this Sig after only handling it for 10 minutes. It is very apparent that someone spent some time putting it together. It is SMOOTH. Smooth slide, smooth trigger, smooth safety. Someone spent some time making sure it was right before it left the factory. Literally ten minutes before I said "let's do some paperwork".

One of my favorite features is that you can press check the pistol and rack the slide with the thumb safety engaged.

I'll put up a range report after i shoot her tomorrow or Sunday.

Last edited by Wilson Guy; April 23rd, 2016 at 09:56 AM.

(Cumberland County)

I really do like the design. Reminds me so much in functionality to my Scorpion P229 with a few aesthetics I wish the Scorpion had. I also tend to like a grey gun over a tan one anyways. Some day I'll pick up a Legion P229.

(Allegheny County)

The SAO 226 is my 2016 gun.. can't wait for the review. You already sold me!

(Allegheny County)

I have a Legion P226 SAO and have taken it to the range. Full disclosure, I like Sig P22x SAO pistols and own a P226 Elite SAO so I have a ready comparison. The Legion includes the mods that many have done to the "standard" P226. The Legion sports G-10 grips, may favorite and an upgrade I have already done to the Elite. I very much like the X-Ray sights on the Legion, fast acquisition and clear sight picture. Sights are a personal thing so YMMV. Best for last, the trigger on the Legion is excellent, crisp, short reset and I like the flat shape.

Sigs and I get along well so the range trip was no surprise. I put about 200 rounds through it without any hiccups. Side by side with the Elite, and using the same ammo, the combination of sights and trigger allowed me to hold closer groups with the Legion. Not a huge difference but enough that the Legion has a clear advantage. Plus I really like the trigger: clean, crisp break, very short reset, great feel. I don't own a trigger scale but this one has to fall within 4-5 lbs (based on 1911 feel). A side note: I have 18 round P226 magazines from Mecgar, unlike many higher capacity magazines, these really work. I intermixed 15 and 18 round mags at the range. Final analysis: The Sig SAO are, IMHO, excellent firearms. If you are seeking a SA 9mm double stack I would up the budget for the Legion. The grips, sights and trigger upgrades to other Sig P226 would easily cost more than the difference in price between the others and the Legion. As stated, I like the grips, sights and trigger on the Legion, but they are all personal preference. Though I don't own one, I have read many reviews that come to the same conclusions on the Legion P226 DA/SA, there are raves about the trigger on that one as well.

This is on my WANT list......just wish they had a version with a threaded barrel (and possibly a slide cut for an RMR). For that price, it should at least have the option of a threaded barrel......would hate to spend that much money only to need to drop another 200 or so. That is a dealbreaker for me until they fix it.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Montgomery County)

I put 250 rounds through the pistol today. I also let two gents who work at the range shoot the gun. Because so much of this post is going to be positive, I am going to start with a glaring negative: The location of the slide stop/release in conjunction with the thumb safety is dubious to say the least. When the thumb safety is down/off the paddle is very close to the slide stop and protrudes from the pistol much further than the slide stop. I have just tried to use the slide stop four times with my right hand and my left hand with the thumb safety in the off position. This is just not a useable slide stop. You really can't navigate the the thumb safety to get to the stop. I would not bother to ever use this slide stop while attending a course or if my life depended on it. If you buy this gun you are going to use the slide to reload from slide lock. If not, you are going to have an empty gun.

Now for the positives: This gun is a one-holer all day long. It is accurate and easy to shoot accurately. The trigger is consistent and crisp. Short reset, consistent reset. I'd guess it breaks about five pounds with minimum creep. I had no malfunctions. I ran lead reloads, PNC and five different flavors of +p SD ammo today. Zero problems.

The sights are good, a very solid factory effort. While the sights are good they are not as good as the Trijicon HDs for me as I suspected. If I made any change to this pistol it would be putting on a set of the HDs.

Most importantly, this pistol is heavy. I will not be carrying this IWB. This is, to me, a course gun, truck gun and a house gun. But the weight and size makes it a joy to shoot. It is very comfortable in the hand and has minimal recoil. I could have shot 500 rounds today without flinch or discomfort. Just feels very comfortable in the hand with mild handling characteristics. When you go slow and need to hit a dime at 10 yards you can do it. When you speed up the groups naturally open up. But this pistol will thead a needle when you need it to. Both of the guys who worked at the range can shoot. They both said they were buying one. It is that exciting of a pistol. It has a lot of the positive 1911 characteristics with a very reliable double stack mag. Photos to follow.
    Last edited by Wilson Guy; April 24th, 2016 at 02:37 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Unknown round count, strings from 7 to 10 yards out. Slow to rapid fire, transitions from chest to head. And yes, I always pull right when I speed up. I keep working on it.

Same

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Guy View Post
    When you go slow and need to hit a dime at 10 yards you can do it.
    Trigger?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast