Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Indiana County)

Default Indiana County Renewal

Received my renewal notice 60 days out, according to the law. It was in an unmarked envelope, according to the law. And it contained a renewal application, according to the law.

Since I was going over to our County Seat early this morning, I brought the renewal notice, plus twenty bucks with me. Around 8:15 a.m., I was able to park right across the street from the court house (twenty-five cents for the meter, please). Walked in the front door, showed that I wanted to check my open carry Hi-Point C9, and was directed to empty my pockets, go through the scanner, and then go to the room where the guns were checked in. Apparently they don't want people unholstering right out in the open - too much of a chance for an accident, or something. Once in the room, I handed over the gun, plus my LTCF (they can't check it in unless you have one, according to the law). Into the lock box both went, and I was given a plastic chit as a receipt, according to the law.

Upstairs to the sheriff's office (next to the probation office where some clients were already waiting to check in). I was the first LTCF customer of the day, and we had to wait for the computer system to be turned on to process my application (such a delay). I handed over my application, my driver's license, and twenty bucks (cash). Backed up against the wall, got my picture taken (not as classy as Queen Elizabeth II's birthday picture), waited for the new license to be printed out, and I was out the door.

Handed over my chit to the deputy on hand, he got me my sidearm, I holstered it, and departed the premises. No muss, no fuss. Everything done was in accordance with the law.

As for the Hi-Point C9, the deputy at the check-in stated the important thing was that it worked when needed, not its style, or ugliness, or weight. Just another day at the office for them.
    Last edited by Statkowski; April 22nd, 2016 at 03:03 PM.

(Juniata County)

Default Re: Indiana County Renewal

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Received my renewal notice 60 days out, according to the law. It was in an unmarked envelope, according to the law. And it contained a renewal application, according to the law.

Since I was going over to our County Seat early this morning, I brought the renewal notice, plus twenty bucks with me. Around 8:15 a.m., I was able to park right across the street from the court house (twenty-five cents for the meter, please). Walked in the front door, showed that I wanted to check my open carry Hi-Point C9, and was directed to empty my pockets, go through the scanner, and then go to the room where the guns were checked in. Apparently they don't want people unholstering right out in the open - too much of a chance for an accident, or something. Once in the room, I handed over the gun, plus my LTCF (they can't check it in unless you have one, according to the law). Into the lock box both went, and I was given a plastic chit as a receipt, according to the law.

Upstairs to the sheriff's office (next to the probation office where some clients were already waiting to check in). I was the first LTCF customer of the day, and we had to wait for the computer system to be turned on to process my application (such a delay). I handed over my application, my driver's license, and twenty bucks (cash). Backed up against the wall, got my picture taken (not as classy as Queen Elizabeth II's birthday picture), waited for the new license to be printed out, and I was out the door.

Handed over my chit to the deputy on hand, he got me my sidearm, I holstered it, and departed the premises. No muss, no fuss. Everything done was in accordance with the law.

As for the Hi-Point C9, the deputy at the check-in stated the important thing was that it worked when needed, not its style, or ugliness, or weight. Just another day at the office for them.

My court house does not waste people's time with security / thus to Check my firearm I walk through the building to get to the lockers and place my weapon (holster and all) in the locker.

In the only other county which I had to use their lockers - I simply placed my weapon in the locker (twice) and was given a receipt. A 3rd time they told me to unload it, which I explained was not going to happen because it is unsafe. The guy really didn't know how to deal with facts, clearly didn't know anything about firearms or the law. But again I took of holster off and put it in the locker.

I am confused as to why you need a LTCF to check the weapon (if open carrying?)
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    I am confused as to why you need a LTCF to check the weapon (if open carrying?)
    Because Section 913(e) of Title 18 reads, "
    Each county shall make available at or within the building containing a court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section 6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons that are not otherwise prohibited by law."

Section 6106(b) applies to exceptions to the licensing requirement, and Section 6109 is the licensing authority.

Open carry isn't addressed at all in the law, and the law states they only have to provide storage if you're carrying in accordance with the law. Since open carry isn't mentioned, the question then becomes do they have to provide storage for such? I wasn't about to argue the point with a deputy sheriff with no discretionary authority on such.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post

Because Section 913(e) of Title 18 reads, "
    Each county shall make available at or within the building containing a court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section 6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons that are not otherwise prohibited by law."

Section 6106(b) applies to exceptions to the licensing requirement, and Section 6109 is the licensing authority.

Open carry isn't addressed at all in the law, and the law states they only have to provide storage if you're carrying in accordance with the law. Since open carry isn't mentioned, the question then becomes do they have to provide storage for such? I wasn't about to argue the point with a deputy sheriff with no discretionary authority on such.

Ah :-) what an obscure fact. Ty. I was not suggesting you argue, just wondering that you were asked.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001