Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Good Inexpensive Shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by fritz1919 View Post
    HD only: Many good answers.

HD and range trips: A couple better answers. Used Ithaca 37.

Plus the kicker of having a good field shotgun. A great choice for multi tasking.

fritz
    I love the 37 it's my first shotgun but, it eats where it poops. You can't single feed through the ejection port like every other pump shotgun. It is nice for picking up hulls though.

OP check out surplus city guns in feasterville, 302 bustleton pike. The get 870 wingmasters with extended mag tubes all the time. Police trades. Make sure the bore is good. Look for wingmaster, they put more into them. They will be much smoother then the current big box bargain 870s you see in ads.

Mavericks are not 500s they look like 500s but parts can be different.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I love the 37 it's my first shotgun but, it eats where it poops. You can't single feed through the ejection port like every other pump shotgun. It is nice for picking up hulls though.
    Not true. It might not be as practical, but it's certainly possible. Slide the forearm forward slightly just enough for the shell lifter arms to move up to the top of the receiver, or use your shell to push them out of the way. Insert the shell into the chamber, or if you have the gun such that gravity will keep the shell down, drop it between the bolt and the chamber. Close the bolt and you're good to go. I do it all the time when shooting trap.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Not true. It might not be as practical, but it's certainly possible. Slide the forearm forward slightly just enough for the shell lifter arms to move up to the top of the receiver, or use your shell to push them out of the way. Insert the shell into the chamber, or if you have the gun such that gravity will keep the shell down, drop it between the bolt and the chamber. Close the bolt and you're good to go. I do it all the time when shooting trap.
    ^^^This!^^^

It's the same with the BPS, which is loosely based on the M37. I've shot 1,000's of rounds of trap with mine.

(Chester County)

A used Winchester 1300 is a good gun for the money.

(Philadelphia County)

OP check out surplus city guns in feasterville, 302 bustleton pike. The get 870 wingmasters with extended mag tubes all the time. Police trades. Make sure the bore is good. Look for wingmaster, they put more into them. They will be much smoother then the current big box bargain 870s you see in ads.

Mavericks are not 500s they look like 500s but parts can be different.
    Surplus City is where I got my Police Magnum 870. Made with forged steel parts like the Wingmaster, but with a duller finish. The ones they had all had 4-shot tubes, but were $195 a pop. Was in there recently and they got in a big batch of them with side shell carriers.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    ^^^This!^^^

It's the same with the BPS, which is loosely based on the M37. I've shot 1,000's of rounds of trap with mine.
    Ok possible but awkward compared to popping one in through the window. Think defensive use. Do you want to unshoulder roll it over fiddle around or just pop one in. 37 is a finer shotgun, just not my first choice for defensive use. Hunting, trap, clays sure if I'm not using an A5

(Bucks County)

Ok possible but awkward compared to popping one in through the window. Think defensive use. Do you want to unshoulder roll it over fiddle around or just pop one in. 37 is a finer shotgun, just not my first choice for defensive use. Hunting, trap, clays sure if I'm not using an A5
    No fiddlin' involved when it's already loaded.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567