Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Good Inexpensive Shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by LMTguy View Post
    Remington 870 or Mossberg 500
    all depends on which one's controls you are more comfortable with.

both are more than capable.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    He might also be referring to the NY thing, that state has gone crazy with it's gun laws in the past few years.
    I was also on an NY gun forum and they had been saying that a shotgun was fine (pump and no pistol grip preferably if I recall correctly), and unless I misunderstood them drastically, I will be okay.

(Chester County)

I found that any of the safeties are good but you have to practice with the one you're using for home defense. I have a variety of different shotguns with a variety of locations for the safeties, in front of the trigger, behind the trigger, on top with or with out the selector. All are good but unlike hunting with a shotgun when I use different guns that have different safety locations. If I forget or get mixed up the bird gets away but in home defense you want the gun to go bang when you decide you need to pull the trigger because your life may depend on it. So practice with whichever one you choose and don't become confused in a high stress situation.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    I found that any of the safeties are good but you have to practice with the one you're using for home defense. I have a variety of different shotguns with a variety of locations for the safeties, in front of the trigger, behind the trigger, on top with or with out the selector. All are good but unlike hunting with a shotgun when I use different guns that have different safety locations. If I forget or get mixed up the bird gets away but in home defense you want the gun to go bang when you decide you need to pull the trigger because your life may depend on it. So practice with whichever one you choose and don't become confused in a high stress situation.
    thanks for the tip. muscle memory is gonna be important, luckily i learn pretty quickly

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by muffinman1604 View Post
    I was also on an NY gun forum and they had been saying that a shotgun was fine (pump and no pistol grip preferably if I recall correctly), and unless I misunderstood them drastically, I will be okay.
    Thanks for passing on the info, and glad you're digging into their laws too to figure them out.

(Cumberland County)

HD only: Many good answers.

HD and range trips: A couple better answers. Used Ithaca 37.

Plus the kicker of having a good field shotgun. A great choice for multi tasking.

fritz
    Last edited by fritz1919; April 26th, 2016 at 09:19 AM. Reason: perceived attitude adjustment
    Obama. AYFKM?! / Pravda vit'azi.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks everyone for the tips. Now it comes down to me finding something for a good price.
    I am interested in the Remington and Mossberg the most, but a lot of the ones I have seen have something like a 24inch barrel on them and I would prefer to not to pay market price for the gun and then have to buy a shorter barrel set up (just me being cheap lol but if it comes down it, I guess I will shell out the money). So the question comes down to, what are your favorite places to look online for used guns? I have been using gun broker for the most part so far.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by muffinman1604 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the tips. Now it comes down to me finding something for a good price.
    I am interested in the Remington and Mossberg the most, but a lot of the ones I have seen have something like a 24inch barrel on them and I would prefer to not to pay market price for the gun and then have to buy a shorter barrel set up (just me being cheap lol but if it comes down it, I guess I will shell out the money). So the question comes down to, what are your favorite places to look online for used guns? I have been using gun broker for the most part so far.
    Used, I always do better at the local shops or gun shows. Especially on something as ubiquitous as an 870 or 500. At that price point shipping and transfer fees will kill any savings you're going to get online IMHO.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Used, I always do better at the local shops or gun shows. Especially on something as ubiquitous as an 870 or 500. At that price point shipping and transfer fees will kill any savings you're going to get online IMHO.
    Thanks for the advice. I didn't think about transfer fees and shipping really.

If anyone knows any good stores in SE PA (king of prussia) area let me know.

(Allegheny County)

Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 would be my two go-to choices for inexpensive quality pump shotguns. Buy used...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast