Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Legal Implications if you Draw Your Pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by K31 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I would suggest you speak to your attorney now and get some professional advice on the topic before you really need it.
    What for?
    If I had to guess, I'd say he's referring to this:
    If it happen outside of the house I’m not even sticking around at the scene to deal with the police. I would get in my car and drive away, there’s no law stating you have to stick around.

(Philadelphia County)

Exactly.

I hope none of us ever have to drop the hammer on someone and be put in that situation. I don’t know about anyone else but the first phone call I make won’t be to the police it will be to my attorney! If it happen outside of the house I’m not even sticking around at the scene to deal with the police. I would get in my car and drive away, there’s no law stating you have to stick around. Everyone needs to realize you’re going to be at the epicenter of a murder investigation regardless. You can turn yourself in the next day after you’ve been fully prepped by your legal team. If that option is not available it will be in your best interest to keep your mouth SHUT and seek legal counsel before speaking a word to the police.
    What for?

My first priority after a defensive shoot would be ensuring my continued safety. I’m not obligated to stick around in a situation that could be hazardous to me. If I shoot a guy and his buddies are still on the scene I’m not sticking around. I have every right to get myself to a safe location and call the police from there. The cops/jury will understand your flight in that instance as long as you call them as soon as it is feasible for you to do so.
    It looks like you may have corrected a few things.

I would suggest calling 911 first and then your lawyer. I never suggested remaining in a dangerous situation, but heading on home (removing evidence from the scene) and turning yourself into police, after consulting with an attorney, is not exactly going to work well in your favor. There is a big difference between what you suggested and saying "I will answer any questions that I can after I have my lawyer present".

A competent lawyer is worth every $ spent. Just my two cents, I am not a lawyer, but I have watched Perry Mason on TV

(Philadelphia County)

Exactly.

I hope none of us ever have to drop the hammer on someone and be put in that situation. I don’t know about anyone else but the first phone call I make won’t be to the police it will be to my attorney! If it happen outside of the house I’m not even sticking around at the scene to deal with the police. I would get in my car and drive away, there’s no law stating you have to stick around. Everyone needs to realize you’re going to be at the epicenter of a murder investigation regardless. You can turn yourself in the next day after you’ve been fully prepped by your legal team. If that option is not available it will be in your best interest to keep your mouth SHUT and seek legal counsel before speaking a word to the police.
    What for?

My first priority after a defensive shoot would be ensuring my continued safety. I’m not obligated to stick around in a situation that could be hazardous to me. If I shoot a guy and his buddies are still on the scene I’m not sticking around. I have every right to get myself to a safe location and call the police from there. The cops/jury will understand your flight in that instance as long as you call them as soon as it is feasible for you to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd say he's referring to this:
    That and what order he makes his phone calls

(Cambria County)

Call 911 and say what? A competent attorney might advise a client not to notify anyone that they pulled the trigger.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    Call 911 and say what? A competent attorney might advise a client not to notify anyone that they pulled the trigger.
    Really ?!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Really ?!
    Yes. GL001 has mentioned this too.

The moment you call 911 as a shooter or having pulled your gun - you automatically implicate yourself.

If your actions where justified in all aspects of reality, there is no crime. And if the police never find out who shot whom, or merely pulled a gun, then you are often better off. Even a justified act can lead to legal and civil issues.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I just skimmed through the thread, but what i got from it is,
    its expensive to defend ones self.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I just skimmed through the thread, but what i got from it is,
    its expensive to defend ones self.
    Yep. Even if you were absolutely justified - it will be expensive. The police and DA could rule it justified from the scene of the event and some how or another you will be forking out $$$ as a result of things.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Back to one of the points above, if you brandish your gun to (hopefully) scare someone off, shouldn't you be the first to call the police? Let's say for example that someone comes up to your car with a tire iron in the midst of a road rage incident. Your show your pistol, and he gets back in his car and drives off. You get in your car and drive home, and the police arrive at your house a little later with a warrant for your arrest for "assault with a deadly weapon". By making the first call, don't you establish yourself as the victim? Remember the Ryan Lochte incident - everybody was sympathetic to him until the real story came out (if that even was the real story).

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

I was actually in a similar situation about 2 years ago. My wife and I were going somewhere in the car and wanted to stop at the cash machine at our bank on the way. As we were pulling into the lot, a pick up cut us off and sped through. By the time we got into the cash machine lane, another vehicle had pulled behind us, so we were pretty much trapped, as the pick up cut diagonally in front of us. I really thought it was either a car jacking or robbery attempt.

So, asked my wife to get her phone ready to call 911, pulled my side arm, put it on the seat and proceeded to do my transaction while keeping an eye on both vehicles. As I was finishing up, the pick up spun wheels and took off, allowing me to pull out. The car behind us didn't use the cash machine, but followed the pick up. So, really no idea what their intent was. I don't know how I could have done things better and improved my situation as I was boxed in pretty quickly.

Perhaps this can alert others to the fact that cash machine lanes at banks can lend themselves to this happening very quickly and easily. BTW, it was in a "no crime" area, and afternoon daylight.

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlackDelta View Post
    I'm not waiting for some psycho to smash my window with a baseball bat before I react. I may get hit in the process, may get glass in my eyes, both of which could render me defenseless. Waiting that long is a bad idea IMO.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast