Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Northampton County LTCF - New 28 Days

Hi All,

I came to this forum after moving to bethlehem a few months back in search of info on a LTCF. As a NJ resident originally I was pleased with all the clear and helpfull info and was able to go in and apply. I saw some varying responses on how long so I was prepared for a bit of a wait. I was pleased today to get in the mail my permit which was issued 3 days ago on 4/18. Total time was 28 days to the door or 25 for approval.

Thanks for the great info. The sherif's officers were helpful and polite as was the info here. The card is nicely laminated as well.

If anyone here is a county sherif's employee thank you for the help and prompt work.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Northampton County LTCF - New 28 Days

When you check your gun they act like assholes. And they make you go outside, and they bring a box outside for you to put your gun into. They treat you like a criminal. The few times I have to visit that shithole I leave my gun in the car.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

Weird i was not armed when I went in but they did ask. Maybe its my prior living in NJ but isn't that usual for state and federal buildings?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by gsilvers View Post
    Weird i was not armed when I went in but they did ask. Maybe its my prior living in NJ but isn't that usual for state and federal buildings?
    Federal buildings will tell you to F off. In Pennsylvania, the law says state buildings can't ban firearms unless they have court or associated facilities, or detention facilities. In the former case (County Sheriff) they must provide lockers for your weapons. But Northampton County is the only one I've heard of where they act like assholes and make you go outside to disarm. Most places they either assign you a locker or ask for your weapon and put it in a locker. And they are not assholes about it.

Gotcha, must be some gap between the leadership and the grunts. I'm not going to lie, coming from NJ carrying is a crime so I felt super awkward going in to do this. One of the guards asked me where I was headed and as I stumbled through sayign well dude I want to pack a pistol like you he got my gist and was super friendly and gave me directions on where everything was in the building. He was super helpful. Maybe if enough of the newer folks stay around it will change. I did some reading and I guess the old sheriff was a pain and slow too?

Thank you for posting the good news with NORCO getting you LTCF out so relatively quickly. They took over a month for me and I have had a NORCO LTCF consistently for 20 years and mine was a renewal. It must be that the new Sheriff is a retired NJ LEO and saw that you were from NJ and wanted to help you along in your pilgrimage to a free state!! LOL!! Be safe!
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Northampton County)

How far in advance of expiration is the norm for application?

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1st8th83 View Post
    How far in advance of expiration is the norm for application?

I'd say sixty (60) days would be reasonable.

Based on my recent experience with Indiana County, when you go in and renew is when the new five-year clock starts ticking on your license, so you might end up "losing" up to two months' worth of licensure (whoopy). Right now my "old" license expires in the beginning of June, and my "new" license (with the same license number) expires five years from yesterday. At a cost of four dollars a year, is it really worth getting all upset over "losing" a month or two?

(Northampton County)

Northampton doesn't send you crap for a reminder. Or at least they didn't send me anything.

One LTCF took 3 weeks and the other took 6 weeks.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by gsilvers View Post
    Gotcha, must be some gap between the leadership and the grunts. I'm not going to lie, coming from NJ carrying is a crime so I felt super awkward going in to do this. One of the guards asked me where I was headed and as I stumbled through sayign well dude I want to pack a pistol like you he got my gist and was super friendly and gave me directions on where everything was in the building. He was super helpful. Maybe if enough of the newer folks stay around it will change. I did some reading and I guess the old sheriff was a pain and slow too?
    Bring a gun next time and see how friendly he is.

Hopefully they have cleaned up their act.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast