Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Denied for LTCF in Philadelphia. Submitted Appeal same-day. What's Next?

I had a PFA against me in 2000-01 and had my license taken away. I have gotten it back and renewed it several times. I live in Bucks.

Disclaimer: My ex wife was a real bitch and did everything she could to be a jerk off. Having the PFA removed was a condition I set to finalize the divorce.
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

Default Re: Denied for LTCF in Philadelphia. Submitted Appeal same-day. What's Next?

KABOOM24/Kat-21 Please keep us advised. Your experience can help others. Phila has THE lowest proportion of holders of LTCF in the State. The Gun Unit's sabotage of applications is one reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by KAT-21 View Post
    This was my experience with the appeal process:

My husband and I attended Philadelphia’s “Gun Court” on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 @ 12:30 p.m. The hearing was held at the Criminal Justice Center, 1301 Filbert St. Room 408. We waited approx. 6 months from the date the appeal was filed until the hearing date.

When you get to the Courtroom, you take a seat in the waiting area. In the front of this room are 3-4 interview areas (similar to the gun permit unit). The Courtroom where the hearings are held is down a hall from the waiting area.

My experience was similar to the one described above by Bill Gray. The City had an outside attorney representing them. I had an attorney, who is also a friend, with me. When we arrived, my attorney approached the City’s attorney and they quickly came to an agreement that the City would allow us to amend the Application. We were told to sit and wait until someone called us, and then my attorney left.

About 20-30 minutes later, an officer called us to the front of the room where we amended his Application. We were told a letter would be mailed by the gun permit unit in several weeks.

Now for the reason my husband was denied. When he applied for his permit, during the oral interview, he was asked, among other things, if he had ever been arrested. He responded yes, and explained, “when I was a kid, I was arrested for [this and that] ...”

Now, in Philly, your answers to the oral questions are written down and you are asked to sign the bottom of the page which is then attached to the your Application. So, if you tell them you were arrested 4 times when you were, in fact, arrested 5 times, you will be denied for these reasons:

- Failure to give accurate information; and
    - Failed to cooperate and/or failed to give truthful answer (previous arrest)

So, basically, my husband forgot an arrest or two.

I saw at least two other individuals who were allowed to amend their applications while I was there. They were not represented by counsel. The officer who conducted my husband’s re-interview appeared to be working from a list and was calling people up randomly.

I hope this information helps someone in the future.

I hate Philly and how they treat gun owners, but by the same token "4 or 5 arrests" and "forgetting about one or two," I doubt I would be protesting City Hall based on a denial under the character clause.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123