Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Promised Land State park OC confusion !

There are a lot of big bears around PLSP. We have been camping there for 40+ years. Lots of changes in that time. I remember when the Park Rangers weren't even allowed to carry guns. We'll be heading there for our annual Father's Day camping trip. I CC so there won't be an issue. I can't afford to be a test case.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by jim-analog View Post
    Greetings,

Darn, seems the perfect situation that HB-2011/ Act 192 would have allowed standing for. Have to get that passed as a stand alone.

Regards, Jim
    '
    That it would. With the current make up of the PA supreme court, any case involving our 2A rights scares the shit out of me though.

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

Yes indeed! A trip to PA SC is a perilous journey. A legislative fix is where we need to put the effort.

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    That it would. With the current make up of the PA supreme court, any case involving our 2A rights scares the shit out of me though.

(Bucks County)

Not really pertaining to our carrying there, but yesterday I witnessed a Park Ranger playing parking lot attendant at the park. He was in full equipment mode of sidearm, cuffs, mag light and of course his vest. I guess the park police haven't heard of other types of LEOs wearing summer clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill67 View Post
    Not really pertaining to our carrying there, but yesterday I witnessed a Park Ranger playing parking lot attendant at the park. He was in full equipment mode of sidearm, cuffs, mag light and of course his vest. I guess the park police haven't heard of other types of LEOs wearing summer clothing.

Well Bill I guess you and I were in the park at the same time! Was he a little rotund and wearing suspenders? If so that was the Chief.

Like I said in my previous post the park was just to busy for a sit down with the Chief. The day before we were on the Beach when an Accident occurred at the entrance to the Dam breast.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Dauphin County)

Greetings,

Darn, seems the perfect situation that HB-2011/ Act 192 would have allowed standing for. Have to get that passed as a stand alone.

Regards, Jim
    '
    Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Act 192 strengthened preemption of municipalities. The (m.3) provision at issue here would not have been affected.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

Thanks for the comment. I was under the impression that it ALSO extended STANDING; so that an OC issue within a State Park could be challenged without the individual actually having been arrested (preemptively, so to speak). Please correct me if my interpretation is wrong; in the interim, I'll look up the bill and re-read. Thanks again!

Regards, Jim

PS.............here is the section of Act 192 that as I understood it would allow for my statement above:

........(a.2) Relief.--A person adversely affected by an ordinance, a resolution, regulation, rule, practice or any other action promulgated or enforced by a county, municipality or township prohibited under subsection (a) or 53 Pa.C.S. § 2962(g) (relating to limitation on municipal powers) may seek declaratory or injunctive relief and actual damages in an appropriate court...............

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    Act 192 strengthened preemption of municipalities. The (m.3) provision at issue here would not have been affected.
    Last edited by jim-analog; May 31st, 2016 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added PS with more info

(Berks County)

PS.............here is the section of Act 192 that as I understood it would allow for my statement above:

........(a.2) Relief.--A person adversely affected by an ordinance, a resolution, regulation, rule, practice or any other action promulgated or enforced by a county, municipality or township prohibited under subsection (a) or 53 Pa.C.S. § 2962(g) (relating to limitation on municipal powers) may seek declaratory or injunctive relief and actual damages in an appropriate court...............
    Jim,
    The State Parks are not a county, municipality, or township, they do not operate under or are they bound by Title 53 which regulates Municipalities... They are the Commonwealth and are governed by Title # 71 - State Government and Title # 17 which are their rules and regulations as published in the Pennsylvania Bulletin.....

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

Thanks much for the clarification, really appreciate it. Off to do more research now in Title 71 and 17. In your (anyone) opinion, do we already have a sufficient legal case to OC in State Parks or is some legislative remedy required?

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna 19547 View Post
    Jim,
    The State Parks are not a county, municipality, or township, they do not operate under or are they bound by Title 53 which regulates Municipalities... They are the Commonwealth and are governed by Title # 71 - State Government and Title # 17 which are their rules and regulations as published in the Pennsylvania Bulletin.....

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

OK, after searching for a needle in a HUGE pile of needles, I came across (thanks for the tip) PA Title 17-11.215.Weapons and Hunting. This seems to be the problem area in regard to OC in State Parks. Specifically, sections 4 and 5:

"(4) Possessing an uncased device, or uncasing a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or slingshot, that is capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, except as provided in paragraph (2) or (7), or except in the owner’s building on a leased campsite, in the owner’s residence, or in the owner’s vehicle or trailer.

(5) Failing to keep a device, including a firearm, archery equipment or slingshot, that is capable of discharging or propelling a projectile, in the owner’s building on a leased campsite, in the owner’s residence or in the owner’s vehicle or trailer. This prohibition does not apply to either of the following:"

The exceptions are for permitted hunting, trapping (excp 2) or target shooting (excpt 7) in areas so designated (or with written permission). So, I think we've circled around back around to the beginning of the discussion. I'd guess that without a slight change to Section 4, the Park Rangers do seem to have cause to not permit OC. That's my understanding anyway. So, is this worth the effort to attempt a legislative fix? Thanks to everyone who helped me out with the cites.

Regards, Jim
    Last edited by jim-analog; June 1st, 2016 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spell correct; a few times

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast