Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default SINGLE SHOT, 400 YDS. (VIDEO)

I know, to hit a groundhog with a single shot at 400 yds, it has to be on the 5th bounce of the bullet. Not my .204 H&R, always down the middle. The shooter is the screw up (I have ownership to that).

This video will give a perspective of what 400 yards looks like. I had 4 shots at a chuck at that distance yesterday.

Each shot is followed up with a short slo mo replay of the bullet impact marked with an X. As a tried and true trigger yanker, laughing is permitted on the first shot. Then there is no rule to cut me a break on the next three shots.

Did I score ??? You have to watch the video to find out.

It truly was a fun day for me. What about the chuck ? I think without him moving much at all; 2 options--this guy can't hit a bull in the arse or 'WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON' ?
    fossil
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

Default Re: SINGLE SHOT, 400 YDS. (VIDEO)

Great vid...wished you would have been able to connect on the gh. Your first two shots you were a good 2 ft and to the left of him. Were you using Kentucky windage to make adjustments on the later shots or did you dial?

What was the longest shot you connected on? My personal best was 530 yards on a ground hog a few years ago.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Great vid...wished you would have been able to connect on the gh. Your first two shots you were a good 2 ft and to the left of him. Were you using Kentucky windage to make adjustments on the later shots or did you dial?

What was the longest shot you connected on? My personal best was 530 yards on a ground hog a few years ago.
    Yooooo Aubie:

You would make an excellent Psychiatrist. You almost got it perfect. I could offer a ton of excuses, none valid. I dropped fundamentals, clear and precise. A shot at an excuse in the beginning was rushing (adrenaline, who knows). I was not in control. Then I settled down and dialed it in. What the camera hides is the length of the video. It was over 7 minutes long. I had a good talk with myself, then found my fundamental control.
    I believe I would have made the 5th shot, but Mr. Grizzly deserved the rest of the day off. We will have another go at it, I know where he lives.

My best ever was 440 yards a couple of years ago, but honestly I lucked it in. The irony was the same hill, but shooting back to this side. What is neat in this valley you can go 700 safely------------------AND THAT'S A REAL POKE !
    fossil

(Wayne County)

Hey Fossil, you sure killed the pile of stone and blacktop dead. Fossil, how bad does that 204 foul the barrel? Like ya said, you know where he lives.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Hey Fossil, you sure killed the pile of stone and blacktop dead. Fossil, how bad does that 204 foul the barrel? Like ya said, you know where he lives.
    QTRBORE: That blacktop and stone pile are STONE COLD DEAD. 1st shot never heard the boom. New it was really ugly and next shot had equal ugliness.

Learned early on, carry the cleaning kit everywhere. It handles 10 to 12 rounds when hot outdoors, maybe 15 when cool. Then they walk all over the place.

Do they load .204 Hornadys with pistol powder. It sure gets out of the barrel rather quickly and dirties up the bore quite nicely.

fossil
    Last edited by ImAfossil; April 12th, 2016 at 11:05 PM. Reason: do-do spelling

(Mercer County)

Get a dog whistle, and hit it right before you're ready to drop the hammer. They'll sit up. Every time.

The .204 Ruger is probably the finest varmint cartridge ever devised.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Great video
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Chester County)

Great video. The suspense had me waiting for a head shot/splatter, but as was mentioned, "you know where he lives". Next time we want you to low crawl 200 yds and split the difference...

(Jefferson County)

Loved the video!

From one 1-shooter to another - good luck next time.

I hunt them, or used to(no longer hunt much), with my .45-70 and .45-120 in the valleys of Coolspring and out at the farms of Polk Twp Jefferson County. No scope on the guns. Sometimes I borrow a spotting scope off an uncle or use my small set of binoculars to spot them. ...then it is a matter of walking them in.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Loved the video!

From one 1-shooter to another - good luck next time.

I hunt them, or used to(no longer hunt much), with my .45-70 and .45-120 in the valleys of Coolspring and out at the farms of Polk Twp Jefferson County. No scope on the guns. Sometimes I borrow a spotting scope off an uncle or use my small set of binoculars to spot them. ...then it is a matter of walking them in.
    You hunted chucks with those? Guess there was no need to clean up, since not much left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast