Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Anybody have a Bighorn safe with electronic keypad?

Quote Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
    Remember West Reading's TASERGATE? We're not going there.
    I graduated with "Taser Gate" himself!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Berks County)

Brand new keypad arrived today...and no difference other than I am now out an additional $60 for the extra keypad. Now it is time to find somebody to drill it open. Great.

NEVER AGAIN will I buy any safe with an electronic lock. It's quick and convenient....right up until it just fucking dies.

To get the safe open, it will cost damn near the same as the original sales price of the entire safe. And that is just to open it! I don't have $500 laying around right now, and anything of value that I do have left is INSIDE OF THE SAFE.

I'm actually considering the idea of using an angle grinder to cut open a side...but with the safe location AND my luck, I will likely burn the house down. Trying to pry it open, as seen on countless YouTube videos, is not an option for seveal reasons. Bad back, safe bolted to floor, and door opening is against the wall...ironically, to prevent a pry attack.

Costly lesson learned. Hopefully this nightmare is enough to push anybody thinking of buying a safe with an electronic lock straight to a mechanical....and if you have electronic already, I would suggest looking into changing over to mechanical. The swap to mechanical doesn't seem very difficult at all....provided you can get inside of the safe to begin with.

Rant over.

(Berks County)

Can you get any info from customer service? Sounds like something inside fell apart if it don't open with a new keypad. Granted I don't know shit about this subject, but...........

Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    Brand new keypad arrived today...and no difference other than I am now out an additional $60 for the extra keypad. Now it is time to find somebody to drill it open. Great.

NEVER AGAIN will I buy any safe with an electronic lock. It's quick and convenient....right up until it just fucking dies.

To get the safe open, it will cost damn near the same as the original sales price of the entire safe. And that is just to open it! I don't have $500 laying around right now, and anything of value that I do have left is INSIDE OF THE SAFE.

I'm actually considering the idea of using an angle grinder to cut open a side...but with the safe location AND my luck, I will likely burn the house down. Trying to pry it open, as seen on countless YouTube videos, is not an option for seveal reasons. Bad back, safe bolted to floor, and door opening is against the wall...ironically, to prevent a pry attack.

Costly lesson learned. Hopefully this nightmare is enough to push anybody thinking of buying a safe with an electronic lock straight to a mechanical....and if you have electronic already, I would suggest looking into changing over to mechanical. The swap to mechanical doesn't seem very difficult at all....provided you can get inside of the safe to begin with.

Rant over.
    I am willing to help . I have an angle grinder and access to a Sthil cut saw. (yes gas powered and you would need ventilation) PM me if you want help. I don't live far, plus I have Family in Exeter!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    Can you get any info from customer service? Sounds like something inside fell apart if it don't open with a new keypad. Granted I don't know shit about this subject, but...........
    Take what you know, divide it by 2. That is what I know about these locks. I have talked to both Securam as well as Rhino tech. Both calls ended with "I'm so sorry", they said it and I was thinking it. I have cut and spliced a new connection onto the exposed end of the wire bundle (4 wires) between the pad and the brain/motor inside of the door. Everything on the outside if the door has been checked 50x, easily because right now time is much cheaper than money. Once I realized all hope was lost on getting this metal gun casket open through my own vast inability, THAT'S when the det-cord was.....sorry, that part was not supposed to be public.

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    I am willing to help . I have an angle grinder and access to a Sthil cut saw. (yes gas powered and you would need ventilation) PM me if you want help. I don't live far, plus I have Family in Exeter!
    I may very well take you up on that kind offer. At least if there is another person involved I'll have someone to blame when the house catches fire. Sending PM so that my honeowner's insurance company has no actual proof. We can even wear matching Carhartt Colt jackets and look professional while honing our safe cutting skills.

(Berks County)

Did you just recently change batteries?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Did you just recently change batteries?
    Maybe a month ago. I have tried several new Duracell batteries so far, to no avail. There were no warning signs at all. It functioned flawlessly, right up to the point it just stopped doing so.

(Berks County)

The handle cannot put any pressure on the lock bolt or it won't pull up. Are you getting any feedback from the nuber pad? Did you ever hear the relocker fire? Is the opening handle still able to work or was it forced?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    The handle cannot put any pressure on the lock bolt or it won't pull up. Are you getting any feedback from the nuber pad? Did you ever hear the relocker fire? Is the opening handle still able to work or was it forced?
    Handle has been pushed to one side, the other side, wiggled...nada. No feedback from either keypad. The handle has the same small amount of slop as always. I didn't apply any real force to the handle, certainly not enough to do any damage. One of the tech support ladies suggested that I rock the handle to one side then try the keypad, then try the other way. She also had me hold the connected keypad and basically rotate it in a big circle while putting pressure on the cable and shaking the handle at the same time. I looked like a white retarded Indian doing some kind of unlock the safe dance. The safe didn't open, and no rain clouds were formed above.

(Berks County)

One of the tech support ladies suggested that I rock the handle to one side then try the keypad, then try the other way. She also had me hold the connected keypad and basically rotate it in a big circle while putting pressure on the cable and shaking the handle at the same time. I looked like a white retarded Indian doing some kind of unlock the safe dance. The safe didn't open, and no rain clouds were formed above.
    That trick only works when you are standing on extra large ammo cans...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast