Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Default Another nail in the coffin of personal responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26218530
    Family of gay teen slain in Calif. blames school
    Allowing boy to wear makeup and feminine clothes led to death, they say

VENTURA, Calif. - The family of a gay teenager who was fatally shot in class blames the school district for allowing their son to wear makeup and feminine clothing to school — factors the family claims led to the death.

The parents and brother of 15-year-old Larry King of Oxnard filed a personal injury claim against the Hueneme school district seeking unspecified damages for not enforcing the dress code.

King, an eighth-grader at E.O. Green Junior High School, was shot in February. Classmate Brandon McInerney pleaded not guilty to the shooting last week. He was charged as an adult and also faces a charge of a committing a hate crime.

The family's claim, filed last week in Ventura County Superior Court, said administrators and teachers failed to enforce the school's dress code when King wore feminine clothing and makeup to school.

His parents, Dawn and Gregory King, said faculty members knew their son had "unique vulnerabilities" and was subject to abuse because of his sexual orientation.

A call for comment to district Superintendent Jerry Dannenberg was not immediately returned.

State law requires individuals to file a claim before proceeding with a lawsuit against a public agency.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26218530

Okay so Are the parents then going to be blamed for allowing THEIR son to go out of the house dressed like that? I don't think in 8th grade a boy should be encouraged to hide their personality, but I also think there need to be boundaries. When you go to school you dress appropriately. If the parents think it is not appropriate it is THEIR responsibility to step in. They can't blame the school for that. Now there is more to this story. I know one of the teachers was mentoring the young boy and she was openly gay. the claim was she encouraged the boy to push the envelope. But that still does not excuse the parents for not enforcing something the felt was not right.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Another nail in the coffin of personal responsibility

It's amazing that people can't take responsibility for anything.

If the school had enforced the policies (which may or may not exist) and sent the boy home, then they would have been filing a suit alleging discrimination against him based on sexual orientation and not allowing him to express himself. The way I see it, they are trying to profit off of the situation in any way possible.
    And don't think you're off the hook, voters, you're the ones who made this bed. Now you're the ones who are going to have to move over so a gay couple can sleep in it. Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. -- Stephen Colbert

In fact I remember reading when the murder firrst happened that the school did try to enforce some restrictions and the parents caused a bit of a stink.

(York County)

I'm sorry but I am having a real hard time feeling sorry anybody involved in this story. Is this the same kid who's story was on the news right after the killing. He was the one wearing make-up and dresses to school, and when the school tried to do something about it before he got his ass beat the parents got all bent out of shape. Called the school biased, and claimed discrimination. then when that all blew over the little fella decides now would be a good time to try and put the moves on another boy in class.

Kids are already as confused as can be at trhat age. The last thing they need is to be subjected things like this. As a parent if your kid wants to be gay and act like that in school maybe you should have a talk with himor her about what is and is not allowed in school. If the school had a a dress code, he should hav been MADE to follow it by his PARENTS. If they refused to do so, then the school should have banned him form the premises. I'm serious, somebody has to step in and say enough is enough. Your kid is making a scene and needs to be controlled.

Dave
    3%

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    I'm sorry but I am having a real hard time feeling sorry anybody involved in this story. Is this the same kid who's story was on the news right after the killing. He was the one wearing make-up and dresses to school, and when the school tried to do something about it before he got his ass beat the parents got all bent out of shape. Called the school biased, and claimed discrimination. then when that all blew over the little fella decides now would be a good time to try and put the moves on another boy in class.

Kids are already as confused as can be at trhat age. The last thing they need is to be subjected things like this. As a parent if your kid wants to be gay and act like that in school maybe you should have a talk with himor her about what is and is not allowed in school. If the school had a a dress code, he should hav been MADE to follow it by his PARENTS. If they refused to do so, then the school should have banned him form the premises. I'm serious, somebody has to step in and say enough is enough. Your kid is making a scene and needs to be controlled.

Dave
    +1. That's exactly what I was saying. That is the same kid. I don't mind this kid being gay and expressing his feelings and personality, but come on. He does not nor should he dress as a woman and wear make up. If he wants to do that when he is an adult or in his own home, or even when he goes out with his friends on the weekend, but NOT at school. I don't know if it would have made a difference about him dressing as a girl once he hit on the other boy in the class, but it sure as hell never would have mattered when this kid started telling everyone in school that they had messed around. The parents should have made extra sure their child would know that saying those things were wrong.

(Bucks County)

Funny mentality these days.....Oh my kid's dead....we won the lotto !!
    Disgusting

First, it was the peoples republick of Kalifornia.

A cross dresser is not always gay. However, I wouldn't advise any child to cross dress in school. Its inappropriate and the parents should have urged the child to wear appropriate clothing to school. Some places are not appropriate for flag waving or shock.

The school apparently tried to make headway with the parents, it fell on deaf ears. Had the parents been loving, caring, concerned parents they would have taken their child out of the school. They chose to keep their eyes closed to the fact that their child was being ridiculed and discriminated against in class. The parents chose to be flag wavers for "rights". That puts allot of pressure on the school. The school is responsible for policing many students, sometimes 30-40 in a class. For the parents to expect special treatment for their "special" child is absurd. Put your kid in a special school. How irresponsible of these parents not to admit that this child was not normal. It unfortunately put this child at risk, and he was murdered. Sometimes its best to STFU and not make a spectacle of yourself.

I'm in no way condoning the killing of this child. I think its a sad situation. However it was the parents responsibility to police their own children. Its unfortunate that lately some children are murdered because of their "open minded" parents that continue to shout from the rooftops about their "rights" without considering those around them or unfortunately their children.

There are some places where "statements" should not be made. Had this child been taught from his parents that wearing a dress to school is wrong he probably wouldn't have been killed. These parents put their child in harms way because, of their need to be open minded, liberal, accepting parents. They put their child on front street to ease their own shame. This child didn't know or think it was wrong because, his parents chose to be open minded about it. His parents didn't even seek proper family therapy for the whole family to get through this situation.

Ignorance and tolerance are both taught in the home.

I don't give a shit what that twisted bitch says.....IT DOES NOT TAKE A VILLAGE TO RAISE A CHILD!!!!!

Now its up to the responsible parents to have to explain to their children why their classmate was killed. Look how these parents infected other families. Didn't they consider the feelings of their neighbors? Obviously not.

Sometimes your actions or lack of can really do some damage...unfortunately this time it took a child's life.