Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAC 762-SD

(York County)

Default AAC 762-SD

I've caught the urge to buy a silencer and I am leaning towards purchasing a AAC 762-SD. Does anyone here have one? If so, any issues? love it/hate it?

Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks!

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: AAC 762-SD

There are some old worts about the mounting systems on the AAC. It's worth looking into and making an educated purchase. I don't know if it's this model or not. They make a good product

(Dauphin County)

That urge is going to be hard to suppress.

(Armstrong County)

I've had the SDN-6 since it came out, the shorter light version of the SD.
    The ratchet mounting system has seen a number of changes thru the years at AAC. 18T, 51T, 90T...
    The big issue is people just running the can on to the mount and letting the ratchet just "click" it's was way on and this is how the ratchet lever wears out and people have issues with lock-up. It can be sent back and replaced by AAC. Easy thing to do to avoid it, press the lever and spin the can on until it's tight and then let the ratchet do it's thing for a few teeth. It doesn't sound cool, but in my opinion it's a "wear item" if you don't treat it correctly.

Another issue is guys getting stuck between teeth on the ratchet lever. Some guys sand/file the flat surface of the mount to allow it to get that extra tooth engagement. To me, if it locks up half way to a tooth, just back it off one. It's not going anywhere. Either sand it and make it tight or shoot it and let carbon build up and it will lock up on the previous tooth.

Another thing, remove it from the mount when it's warm, or it will get stuck and you will have to shoot it to heat it up. I've had to do this with all QD can i own. No particular system/brand seems to be free of this.

(Venango County)

I personally don't like AAC customer service. There are alot of companies out with a lot better cs and products in my oppion. Silencerco in the specwar762 and omega and harvester. As for the above about mount wear, it's true have seen a few go popping down range, on a fee occasions. I personally like the Specwar762 over the AAC so I purchased it, and dealing with each cs department was a major swaying point.

(Washington County)

I have the 762-SD in NFA jail right now. Hopefully get it in June. I've had an M4-2000 for years and I am very happy with it. I did sand the taper on the mount to get half a tooth for a nice solid click and I haven't had the ratchet wear out yet, but a friend has had to have his ratchet on his SDN-6 replaced more than once. Mine usually isn't coming off its host that often. I had to send it back to AAC once for a new end cap. I had an end cap strike because they sent me a bad mount that wasn't properly machined. That's just bad luck there, I haven't heard of others having the issue. Their customer service wasn't the best, but it got done in a reasonable amount of time, no questions asked, so I'm sticking with the QD system I've already bought into.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(York County)

Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated!

I have one on my AR-10. It was on my 300blk, but I'm getting away from that caliber.

If I were to do it again, I wouldn't even look at it as a potential purchase. My money would go towards a Dead Air Sandman.

I sent this can back from what Nate7667 said. I did exactly that, let it ratchet closed. AAC claimed that it was inferior material used in the ratchet part, but I still don't trust it, so I hold the ratchet open until it's tight. They sent it back with a new coat of whatever they spray it down with - cerakote I imagine after about 2-3 weeks. No big deal.

This can was awesome in 2011. Suppressors have come a long way since then. Again, I recommend spending your money elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Armstrong County)

Good advise above.
    Mike and the guys at Dead Air have some awesome stuff out. I'm torn on a Sandman Ti or a TBAC Ultra 9 for my next 30 cal can

I wish I could send it to AAC to make it a non-qd mounted suppressor. I leave it on the rifle anyway, plus, good luck trying to 'Quick Disconnect' a can after a long string of firing without an asbestos mitt. After getting it back, I could never get it to get that last click and by not doing so, it seems it's accuracy suffers. Give me a good direct thread can.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast