Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SE PA hunting

(Philadelphia County)

Default SE PA hunting

Not sure if this has ever been discussed before, but does anyone know of any spots besides game lands that are available to hunt anywhere in SE PA? Trying to find a spot to get out for deer. ANY help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks everyone.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit softly. -Theodore Roosevelt

(Delaware County)

Default Re: SE PA hunting

There are specified areas of almost all state parks open to hunting. Also "water authority" properties in chester/lancaster counties allow hunting. There is plenty of property to be hunted you just have to look for it.

This state parks site my help. THey have maps and descriptions that are easy to read and follow.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/

(Monroe County)

I don't know if you guys have it down there but up here a decent number of people have made their land eligible for public hunting through the Cooperation Works program with the PGC. They are the white signs that you may see around. I think most got tired of people trespassing anyway so now the game wardens patrol it, cut paths, plant food plots... etc

Basically the original owners still owns it fully however the PGC manages it and it is open for public hunting, but the land owner may put their own restrictions on it (ie: no turkey hunting, no rifle hunting, shotgun only... etc)

We also have counties and townships now taking part in these programs as well. It may be worth looking into. I think if you contact the PGC they will give you a list of the Cooperation Works sites in your WMU
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Feddog82 View Post
    There are specified areas of almost all state parks open to hunting. Also "water authority" properties in chester/lancaster counties allow hunting. There is plenty of property to be hunted you just have to look for it.

This state parks site my help. THey have maps and descriptions that are easy to read and follow.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/
    Just a warning... make sure you are POSITIVE of where you are while hunting in a state park and that you are in a HUNTING section. You can get in some serious trouble if you wander out of the hunting area and into the non-hunting area. Also not all divides are clearly marked in the woods, so make sure you know where they are or go far enough in that it won't be an issue.

Also if you are considering carrying a pistol while hunting for protection (archery season) it isn't allowed on state park land
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Delaware County)

I don't know of any open public land to hunt on. That is why I usually travel up to the mountains or Adams County or out by State College

(Monroe County)

fyi:

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=513&q=168157

Good read on the Coop Works stuff, also check out

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...A=520&Q=171300

both give some more insight - the article claims you can call your regional office and get more data about these. If you are serious about looking for some non-game land try it! a lot of times these are smaller sections of woods that few people hunt, especially during archery season!

I don't know if its the same down there but normally rifle season is crazy with massive numbers of people in the woods, I take those 2 weeks off and don't go out at all. If you are just getting into hunting and need a rifle I'd go with a flint lock as you get better seasons or even (I can't believe I'm saying this) get a XBow... or a real bow. Archery season is approx 3 months long and you can hunt within 50 yards of houses vs a rifle which is 100 - 150 yards from houses

Also you start hunting in Sept and your season doesn't really end until mid January, a rifle season is 2 weeks. For any serious hunter that just loves being in the woods and the thrill of the hunt avoid rifle season and enjoy nature the way its supposed to be... not when an army is marching through it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post

For any serious hunter that just loves being in the woods and the thrill of the hunt avoid rifle season and enjoy nature the way its supposed to be... not when an army is marching through it.
    I use the marching hunting army to move deer to my little patch of woods.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ihunt49 View Post
    I use the marching hunting army to move deer to my little patch of woods.
    haha me too... then I give em a few weeks to get back to normal... then I get back out there :P

(Delaware County)

Ridley state park has areas designated for hunting archery only.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Lycoming County)

You guys make me feel lazy, I hunt out of my 2nd floor spare bedroom window. The wife brings me coffee.

Yet another reason I moved out of the SEPA Flatlands.

Be safe (and secluded).

Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast