Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Draft 2008 Democratic National Platform - Reinstate Assault Weapons Ban

Not like we didn't know it but it seems a draft of the Dems Platform has leaked out ... here's the paragraph about guns:

We recognize that the right to bear arms is an important part of the American tradition, and we will preserve Americans’ continued Second Amendment right to own and use firearms. We believe that the right to own firearms is subject to reasonable regulation, but we know that what works in Chicago may not work in Cheyenne. We can work together to enact and enforce common-sense laws and improvements, like closing the gun show loophole, improving our background check system and reinstating the assault weapons ban, so that guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists or criminals. Acting responsibly and with respect for differing views on this issue, we can both protect the constitutional right to bear arms and keep our communities and our children safe.
    And my friends wonder why I am buying AKs as fast as I can!

[edit] forgot, here's one of the links I found this on: http://www.cnsnews.com/public/conten...x?RsrcID=34048 [/edit]

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Draft 2008 Democratic National Platform - Reinstate Assault Weapons Ban

at least they are actually stating it instead of lying and saying they don't intend to reinstate an AWB.

hopefully that will inspire a few more people to go vote for mccain instead of sitting this one out...

Default Re: Draft 2008 Democratic National Platform - Reinstate Assault Weapons Ban

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    at least they are actually stating it instead of lying and saying they don't intend to reinstate an AWB.

hopefully that will inspire a few more people to go vote for mccain instead of sitting this one out...
    Well as I've said before they are BOTH a load of crap ... I'm 99% sure I WILL be sitting this one out... I was going to write in Ron Paul but to be honest but right about now I'm starting to think its a waste of a gallon of gas. I'll tell you what though, I am SO damn sick and tired of having to choose the "lesser of two evils" it ain't funny.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Well as I've said before they are BOTH a load of crap ... I'm 99% sure I WILL be sitting this one out... I was going to write in Ron Paul but to be honest but right about now I'm starting to think its a waste of a gallon of gas. I'll tell you what though, I am SO damn sick and tired of having to choose the "lesser of two evils" it ain't funny.
    i here ya. and, if i do end up voting for mccain, it will be the first time in a looong time that i have voted for either a democrat or republican for president (usually always vote libertarian)...

but, i am scared to death of a supeme court with 2 or 3 obama appointed justices on it.

and i really don't want to see another AWB.

i might actually vote for big brother mccain just to cast a more effective vote against big brother obama this time around...though i normally do not do that.

i here ya. and, if i do end up voting for mccain, it will be the first time in a looong time that i have voted for either a democrat or republican for president (usually always vote libertarian)...

but, i am scared to death of a supeme court with 2 or 3 obama appointed justices on it.

and i really don't want to see another AWB.

i might actually vote for big brother mccain just to cast a more effective vote against big brother obama this time around...though i normally do not do that.
    Sorry but I've seen a lot of information that says McCain is a "closet" Democrat when it comes to guns and when i see that and KNOW the loss of freedoms that will happen there's no damn way I can vote for him ... I'd chop my arm off before I did.

(Allegheny County)

Sorry but I've seen a lot of information that says McCain is a "closet" Democrat when it comes to guns
    if you look at his actual voting record, though, you will see that that is a load of crap being spewed by the GOA and, to a lesser extent, the NRA. (i am members of both, but they are way off, especially the GOA, on this one.)

the GOA and NRA (to a lesser extent) have a huge chip on their shoulder about mccain because of mccain-feingold...but that was not about guns and was not aimed at either the GOA or the NRA.

mccain's voting record is actually solidly pro-gun (including voting against the AWB 2 out of 2 times).

and when i see that and KNOW the loss of freedoms that will happen there's no damn way I can vote for him ... I'd chop my arm off before I did.
    i can understand that.

i can understand that.
    Glad you "get" that point .. a lot of people don't get that and try to beat me up over it (try I said) ... as much as I am an avid gun rights supporter I am even more an individual rights supporter and the path this country has taken over the past years just scares the living hell out of me.... This is NOT the America I loved and served for.

Here's what appears to be the original text:

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/Platform%208%207%2008%20(2).pdf

11 Firearms
    12 We recognize that the right to bear arms is an important part of the American tradition,
    13 and we will preserve Americans’ continued Second Amendment right to own and use
    14 firearms. We believe that the right to own firearms is subject to reasonable regulation, but
    15 we know that what works in Chicago may not work in Cheyenne. We can work together
    16 to enact and enforce common-sense laws and improvements, like closing the gun show
    17 loophole, improving our background check system and reinstating the assault weapons
    18 ban, so that guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists or criminals. Acting responsibly
    19 and with respect for differing views on this issue, we can both protect the constitutional
    20 right to bear arms and keep our communities and our children safe.
    Update: it was voted & approved last weekend in Pittsburgh, this draft will go on to the National Convention at the end of the month.
    Last edited by PA Rifleman; August 14th, 2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: status update
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Susquehanna County)

Well as I've said before they are BOTH a load of crap ... I'm 99% sure I WILL be sitting this one out... .
    I have made this statement before, but I'll try to convince you and others: Don't sit this one out! It is much too important. When you go to the polling place, you don't have to cast a vote for the President. But ALL of the members of the House of Representatives are up for election this year and the only way laws won't be used against legal gunowners is if we vote for and maintain pro-rights Congressmen. So if you have a pro-gun incumbent representative go vote for him. If your Congresscritter is anti-gun, go vote against him! But damn it, VOTE or else you'll have no one to blame but yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I have made this statement before, but I'll try to convince you and others: Don't sit this one out! It is much too important. When you go to the polling place, you don't have to cast a vote for the President. But ALL of the members of the House of Representatives are up for election this year and the only way laws won't be used against legal gunowners is if we vote for and maintain pro-rights Congressmen. So if you have a pro-gun incumbent representative go vote for him. If your Congresscritter is anti-gun, go vote against him! But damn it, VOTE or else you'll have no one to blame but yourself!
    Come to think of it you are right ... I will be voting for everyone except President (hell maybe I'll pull the libertarian lever for shits and giggles)

BTW ... since we are on the topic when do we get to vote Governor Dunderhead out?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast