Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Visit from the ATF?

So I had a big month this past month (March) and on two separate occasions I bought multiple pistols in a 5 day period. The first time was 2 different pistols in three days (a single action super blackhawk and a smith and wesson 28-2) The second time was three guns over four days, which were a smith 645, a glock 19, and another smith 645 (because the first one I bought needed parts and the second one was complete). So in the last 4 weeks, I've had two 3310.4's (stupid of me i know :/)

Now I've read just about everything on the web about people getting visited by the ATF for this type of thing. My questions are as follows. 1) Has this ever happened to you or someone you know? 2) How long after buying the firearm should I expect the ATF to come knocking? 3) If they do show up, am I better off letting them in to show them the guns or not? Obviously I'm not selling anything that I bought as I have a strict rule that I only sell guns back to FFL's not private individuals, so really I have nothing to hide, but I'm still not comfortable with this whole situation.

Thanks in advance for everyones help.
    Last edited by BallisticSheepDog76; April 1st, 2016 at 06:29 AM.
    Vote Hillary for Prison 2016

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Default Re: Visit from the ATF?

As Andy Griffith used to say, "Ooooooooh, now you've gone and done it." They can't go after criminals so they'll be investigating the shit out of you. Watch for strange "work trucks" parked near your home.

Id say you have a very, very small chance of a visit. I would have said your chances were zero, but you bought 2 of the same gun. The form also goes to the sheriffs dept of your county where you live, and sometimes to the local PD. You didn't do anything wrong, so I wouldn't worry about it. They are mostly looking for the guy who bought 10 high points at each of three different stores, multiple times over a several month period.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by BallisticSheepDog76 View Post
    1) Has this ever happened to you or someone you know?
    Yes.

2) How long after buying the firearm should I expect the ATF to come knocking?
    I wouldn't expect it, but if it happens, within next 30 days.

3) If they do show up, am I better off letting them in to show them the guns or not? Obviously I'm not selling anything that I bought as I have a strict rule that I only sell guns back to FFL's not private individuals, so really I have nothing to hide, but I'm still not comfortable with this whole situation.
    Personally I can't refuse the ATF access because of my two FFL's, however it always been my believe your answer should be, "Howdy, do you have a warrant?" and when they say no, politely tell them to call your attorney if they have any other questions and close the door. Remember they are there to investigate you, by inviting them into your home, you are helping them to convict you.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    As Andy Griffith used to say, "Ooooooooh, now you've gone and done it." They can't go after criminals so they'll be investigating the shit out of you. Watch for strange "work trucks" parked near your home.
    I live in the woods so no "work trucks" are going to be parked near me at all. As far as "investigating the ---- out of me", are you speaking to this from experience (or from someone you know's experience) or just speculating?
    Vote Hillary for Prison 2016

I've made multiple purchases on numerous occasions. In some cases I've made up to three purchases at three shops in the same afternoon. Unless there are other reasons for red flags to start popping up I doubt you'll even be a blip on their radar.

So I had a big month this past month (March) and on two separate occasions I bought multiple pistols in a 5 day period. The first time was 2 different pistols in three days (a single action super blackhawk and a smith and wesson 28-2) The second time was three guns over four days, which were a smith 645, a glock 19, and another smith 645 (because the first one I bought needed parts and the second one was complete). So in the last 4 weeks, I've had two 3310.4's (stupid of me i know :/)

Now I've read just about everything on the web about people getting visited by the ATF for this type of thing. My questions are as follows. 1) Has this ever happened to you or someone you know? 2) How long after buying the firearm should I expect the ATF to come knocking? 3) If they do show up, am I better off letting them in to show them the guns or not? Obviously I'm not selling anything that I bought as I have a strict rule that I only sell guns back to FFL's not private individuals, so really I have nothing to hide, but I'm still not comfortable with this whole situation.

Thanks in advance for everyones help.
    Like any law enforcement that showed up at my door, I'd simply point at my "come back with a warrant" door mat.

You're under no obligation to speak to them or acquiesce to their request for information. Owning NFA doesn't open you up to them either.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Northampton County)

I live in the woods so no "work trucks" are going to be parked near me at all. As far as "investigating the ---- out of me", are you speaking to this from experience (or from someone you know's experience) or just speculating?
    He's referring to your rectum. They investigate the shit out of you.

I don't know the answer but we have had people here investigated before for buying two handguns. I think it might be more likely if you buy two of the same model just going from memory.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    I've made multiple purchases on numerous occasions. In some cases I've made up to three purchases at three shops in the same afternoon. Unless there are other reasons for red flags to start popping up I doubt you'll even be a blip on their radar.
    Did you purchase the same gun model in those different transactions? That seems to be what Sheepdog is most concerned about.

(Cumberland County)

All they will learn is that you had 2 of the same pistol for 2 weeks and learn they are wasting their time on you.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast