Hey everyone,
New to the forum here so take it easy on me. I have been trying to search online for specific ordinances and regulations regarding discharging a firearm on private property for target practice. All I have found is general information about having an approved backstop that prevents ricochet of 45deg in any direction. However, I'm looking for more specific information on how to lawfully shoot on my property and other regulations to consider. Per site regulations, I'm not here for legal advice.

To give anyone who reads this some context, I live on a farm zoned Rural Resource in Penn Township with a mailing address 15644. I moved in a year ago. I was outside one day, and a guy was running down the road and stopped to chat. He said he lived up over the hill and sees me outside a lot when he runs. He also mentioned that a couple weeks prior he heard people shooting. I told him it was probably me that he had heard, and he loved it. I've heard gun shots on the next adjacent farm as well, so it seems like the only people that live nearby are okay with it. However, a couple weeks ago, a Prius was on that same road, and I was outside shooting (in the opposite direction of this road, downwards, into a hillside that is ~100 ft tall with ~33% grade). They stopped and must have called the cops because within 10 minutes a cop comes up the driveway. He said the hillside is not an approved backstop, although its not the worst spot he has seen. A cop is obviously not someone I'm going to debate with about this when there are ARs, shotguns, and pistols laying out. "Yes, sir. Thank you, sir. Have a good day, officer."

I've searched all of Penn Township's ordinances and can't find anything about discharging firearms or approved backstops. How do I search Westmoreland County's laws? Should I contact the sheriff? I'm just trying to exercise my rights without p'ing off people, especially local cops. I would also say "... and without endangering people," but that's not even in question here. Has anyone gone through this before?