Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .45 suppressors

(Bucks County)

Default Re: .45 suppressors

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    That's an awful large range for one suppressor. There really isn't a one size fits all suppressor although a suppressor for a larger caliber will work (to a degree) for a smaller caliber. You have several other things to consider if going with a .45 caliber suppressor; the adapters to get it to fit the different calibers and is it going on a rifle, pistol or both (suppressors are designed differently for pistols and rifles to take into effect the characteristics of the round(s) being fired and a pistol suppressor won't necessarily work as well on a rifle. You mentioned a .44 Mag, is it a rifle or handgun? I'm assuming a rifle because you can't really suppress a revolver (and the only 44mag pistol I can think of is the Auto-Mag).

My question is what are you actually going to mount it on? Knowing that we can suggest what might be they best route to go.
    Right now I have threaded barrels for a USP 45, Savage mkII, and ruger 22/45. As for 44, I'm thinking of having a handi rifle cut down to 16" and threaded. I'll probably also end up getting threaded barrels for my 9mm XDMs. I understand a 45 can would probably be ridiculously large on the ruger pistol, but should be fine on the savage.

The obsidian looks interesting, in theory the idea of a 'k' configuration seems cool, though I don't know how often I would realistically use it. (As a side and unrealated note, why do non-German companies name their short cans the k model? ).

(Armstrong County)

My honest opinion, buy a 22 can instead of thinking it will work or be "ok"
    You will eventually anyway, guaranteed

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ooglar View Post
    Right now I have threaded barrels for a USP 45, Savage mkII, and ruger 22/45. As for 44, I'm thinking of having a handi rifle cut down to 16" and threaded. I'll probably also end up getting threaded barrels for my 9mm XDMs. I understand a 45 can would probably be ridiculously large on the ruger pistol, but should be fine on the savage.

The obsidian looks interesting, in theory the idea of a 'k' configuration seems cool, though I don't know how often I would realistically use it. (As a side and unrealated note, why do non-German companies name their short cans the k model? ).
    Make sure you also learn the difference between pistons and fixed barrel adapters. And the German word for short is Kurz

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    My honest opinion, buy a 22 can instead of thinking it will work or be "ok"
    You will eventually anyway, guaranteed
    Same idea. Buy a rimfire can and a pistol caliber. 9mm out of 45acp is one thing, 22lr out of a 45 is going to be a huge disappointment...and make a mess inside a can that may or may not be user serviceable.
    Using 1 can for such a broad range of hosts may sound like a great idea, and cheap, however you will be trading off a significant amount of sound reduction by firing a 22lr through a 45acp hole.
    Just my opinion, and some people will likely think otherwise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12