Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Silver Bear Ammo, Any Good?

I have a connection that can get me Silver Bear at an EXTREMELY low price (under $100.00 for 1000 rounds.) How good is this stuff? I used to s hoot Wolf for training, but if SB is any good I'll defenitley buy a ton of it.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Silver Bear Ammo, Any Good?

ive used the silver bear 9x18 before and have no complaints. very comparable to wolf. for that price buy as much as you can(and please please let me buy some too)

(Westmoreland County)

I bought some in 5.45x39 and didn't have any problems with it (the gun on the other hand is another story). Sounds like an awesome price...wink wink
    I own guns!

(Philadelphia County)

The Silver Bear is just as good as the other cheap ammo. Except that the metal used for the casings will corrode rapidly if it comes in contact with humidity.

Just keep it dry, and you'll be fine.

BTW, where are you getting this deal, and can you hook us up?
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

Awesome, looks like I'm buying some. I shouldn't have any problems since it'll be kept inside until it's time to shoot. I'd like to hook you ugys up but this deal is through a relative.

I bought a good amount of this stuff from Cheaper than dirt for about $2.50 per 20 rds. I fired about 100rds through my Bushmaster and didn't have any issues, accuracy was about what you would expect from Wolf or anything else in that price range, I was grouping probably about 5" at 100 yds. with open sights. but for less than $3.00 a box it will get the job done. My only gripe was that it came in little boxes with the individual rounds all wrapped in paper, kind of a pain in the but to get out, but I'm just picky.

It looks like CTD doesn't stock it in .223 any more.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Erie County)

I think its pretty good actually. Like a step up from Wolf. Brown Bear I think is basicall equal with Wolf. This stuff I'd say is a bit cleaner than Wolf. Accuracy is about the same, no true noticable difference.

(Philadelphia County)

I dug up that article I mentined and made a thread for it.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/ammunitio...html#post29325
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by jmateer View Post
    I have a connection that can get me Silver Bear at an EXTREMELY low price (under $100.00 for 1000 rounds.) ...
    This post isn't intended to cast aspersions on you or your deals, however it does inspire questions.

This raises some interesting questions about finances, more to the point why prices are so high for everyone else. 9x18 was the cheapest ammo size for the longest time. Looks like 9x18 is $160/M at ammoman.com & CTD. SG has it for $135. Margins of 30-60 percent are unheard of in the gun industry without cornering a segment of the market.

Another detail - is this ammo being discontinued or perhaps second-grade? A recent article pointed to Silver Bear's incompatibility with water or humidity.

(York County)

All I can say is that the latest catalog from Sportsman's Guide has Silver Bear listed in 7.62x39 for $148.17 buyers club price and $155.97 Regular price, that is per 1,000

They also have some Bulgarian manufacture ammo in 7.62x54 berdan primer(non-reloadable) steel case 147 gr FMJ w/ lead core for $88.32 buyers club price and 92.97 regular price per 1,000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast