Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: State Game Lands Firing Range question

Just seems awful cheap and petty to me to just toss it out rather than let someone else put it to good use. If someone came around the neighborhood and started collecting soda cans out of the trash would you make them pay as well.
    3%

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    Oh that's baloney. She's doing no more to help the planet than the man in the moon! And yes, the brass I don't use gets tossed when I get home, and that's my business now isn't it. I paid for it so I have the right to do with it as I see fit. And yes, I see nothing wrong with asking payment for her to take it. It has nothing to do with being hateful. Too many people in this world want things for free and they can get that from some other guy, not me. If I were rich, that'd be a different story but I'm not, so I too gotta make money somehow just like her.
    wow dude wow.....if your going to just throw it away anyway what makes a difference if someone else recycles it for you. She makes like .05 off of it anyway, and she keeps the range clean. How about we start a "give poonie a dollar fund" so that the lady can pick up your brass for a year, because thats all we would need to cover what she would make off of your brass for a year. I bet you take the pennies out of the Give a penny take a penny jar and dont replace them at the gas station too.
    Last edited by crakkajakka15; August 19th, 2008 at 01:48 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by crakkajakka15 View Post
    wow dude wow.....if your going to just throw it away anyway what makes a difference if someone else recycles it for you. She makes like .05 off of it anyway, and she keeps the range clean. How about we start a "give poonie a dollar fund" so that the lady can pick up your brass for a year, because thats all we would need to cover what she would make off of your brass for a year. I bet you take the pennies out of the Give a penny take a penny jar and dont replace them at the gas station too.
    I'm with poony. I hate scavengers/vultures. She's making money off HIM, why anyone could think asking for some money back isn't fair is beyond me. If he wanted to screw her over, he could just take it all himself. If you are all so righteous, you would realize that.

GIVE a penny, TAKE a penny. It works both ways with that scenario. At the range, someone is asking for your (possible) trash to make money. They aren't even close to comparing. But either way, if you want to "donate", then donate. That simple. If you don't want to donate, don't.

I have had my fair share of people come up to me at Classic Pistol asking if I reload my brass, or if I am willing to give them my ammo. NO. GO AWAY. It gets old and annoying when it happens 50 times, and every other time that you go. I don't reload, and I don't recycle. I just stock pile for now, and what I do with MY brass is none of your damn business.
    Last edited by itstock; August 19th, 2008 at 05:35 PM.

When I go to the SGL, I pick up my brass and put it in a cup. I leave it there on the table or bench for anyone that wants it. At least my conscious is clear about keeping the range clean. It also helps those that reload. Its also a charity thing. I don't mind helping those that are less fortunate. I know what ammo costs, and if I can help a fellow shooter, I will.

Someone else's garbage, is someone else's treasure.

No idea whatsoever as to when SGL 43 (French Creek) will reopen. If the time estimate is anything like Noximixon, looks like never. Just how long does it take to run a bucket scoop across the backstop berm and sift out the lead!? I suspect this may be a systematic endeavor to eliminate SGL ranges. Either for state budgetary reasons or anti-gun agendas....probably both. Noximixon has been closed longer than I can remember, at least two years now.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    No idea whatsoever as to when SGL 43 (French Creek) will reopen. If the time estimate is anything like Noximixon, looks like never. Just how long does it take to run a bucket scoop across the backstop berm and sift out the lead!? I suspect this may be a systematic endeavor to eliminate SGL ranges. Either for state budgetary reasons or anti-gun agendas....probably both. Noximixon has been closed longer than I can remember, at least two years now.

It's not as easy as you think,weather has alot to do with this work.

the budget and anti-gun agendas have nothing to do with this work.

the state budget has nothing to do with PGC

pgc is not funded ever through the state budget,its funded by hunting license dollars.

have you ever thought about calling the SE Region Office?
    610-926-3136
    610-926-3137
    610-926-1966

I appreciate the numbers and will make a call. Yes, I have thought about and indeed intend to call but seeings how I just discovered the #43 closure on Sunday, am a single full time father of 4 daughters (19, 17, 17, 10), my employer expects me to appear almost daily, have 2 plots on a farm to attend, 4 vehicles to keep maintained, household stuff, kids to doctors, shopping, etc, oh yeah, and have a serious enough illness to cause me to be on maintainance chemotherapy, carving out a time slot to spend on hold just isn't high on my priorities. As for weather delays for lead abatement, you can't be serious. Noximixon has been closed for two effing years! They could hire the brass lady to do it quicker, especially if they aren't cheap bastards and let her keep the lead. True, you are correct in that ranges are funded through hunting licenses and I'm sure PGC is rolling in dough. (that part is to be taken as sarcasm). You can assume that when I say "state", I'm refering to anything that has to do with "Pennsylvania". These and other closures leads me to think there is more going on than lead abatement. And it's systematic.

(Armstrong County)

Get the 19 and 17 year olds to help you out?

And as far as calling the offices, don't bother. I called in regards to the local range, and was told "It'll be open when it's open. We have no further information" on several occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondain View Post
    Get the 19 and 17 year olds to help you out?

And as far as calling the offices, don't bother. I called in regards to the local range, and was told "It'll be open when it's open. We have no further information" on several occasions.
    They all help around here. No free lunches. Note I didn't include housekeeping, kitchen cleaning, or laundry? I also require attendance when possible on house and auto repairs, I need them to learn that too. The farm thing is mine and I'm keeping it that way but the youngest keeps a corner for flowers. BTW, all want an LTCF upon reaching 21. I'm a raisin' em younguns good! The 10y.o. is the best shot of all of them.

(Allegheny County)

I'd be in to volunteer my time with my skid steer, and I would also volunteer the labor on the stands at knockamixon just to get the damn range open! It's by far the closest open range around me.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast