Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: State Game Lands Firing Range question

I'll never shoot at a SGL range again.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(York County)

LowFlyer:

I'm asumiong as your from York that you were at the one on Old Carlisle rd. The rules as you stated are posted just like you said, and it sucks that some cannot follow them. Which is why I rarely shoot at the game lands anymore. If you're interested I belong to a very affordable private gun club. The Dover Fish and Game Assoc cost $20 to start and the only $10 a year to kep it going. The range is not huge, it has 5-6 tables, and goes from 25yds to 200yds. I can count on 1 hand that I have been there and had someone else show up while I was there.

Dave
    3%

(Dauphin County)

I shoot at that range frequently and i can tell you that lady that picks up the brass...I have always seen her ask people before she picks up their stuff. I always let her and she always has asked before before shooting. I was there last Tuesday, and almost got shot by another shooter...but thats another thread. As for loading rounds I religiously olny load 5 into my handguns that way i dont have a ranger popping out of the bushes saying that i have 7 rds ect. Aside from that one experience last Tuesday from the gangsta wanna be shooter , which i flipped s*it on I have had a decent experience there.

(York County)

The lady who picks the brass. Are we talking about the woman with red hair and glasses, kind of short maybe 5'2"-5'6". She always asks first and has never been rude to me or anyone that I have witnessed.

Dave
    3%

(Philadelphia County)

Like the two above me said, its that lady that your thinking of.. Always asks to pickup.. Pretty nice lady.. That range is actually 5 minutes from my parents house.. Super convienent when you can get there early and neeever on weekends.. Last time I was there 2 guys next to me a got a ticket. We didn't ask what the ranger(first nice one I've ever met) sited them for but we were pretty sure we saw them load a full mag into the gun before they left. We assumed they didn't have LTCF...

It seems most are annoyed at the people who don't follow the rules to the letter, so I'm going to have to chime in from the other side of the fence.

First off, let me say that safety is paramount. Because the items we take to the range can kill or maim it is critically important that the firearm be handled safely. Up and down range at all times, unloaded & bolt/slide back when people are down range along with the basic gun safety items.

But ...

3 rounds? Paper only? Come on! Seriously, how boring is just putting holes in paper? I mean, if thats your thing, hey, go for it, but don't tell me that I can't shoot at a reactive target (spinners, clays, bottles & cans even) so long as I clean my mess up. When I go to the range I typically take a broom, rake and trash box with me. When I'm done shooting I take the 5 or 10 min to collect my brass and any debris I may have put bullet holes in (bottles, cans, etc).

I recently bought a 10/22, it came with two 10 round magazines, I purchased an additional 30 round magazine. I absolutely, positively despise loading magazines over and over and over and over, which is why I bought the higher capacity magazine. I don't sit there and rip 'em off, I aim & squeeze. With the higher capacity magazine I can concentrate more on my sight picture, trigger squeeze and breath control while not having my concentration broken with having to reload a magazine every 3 rounds. I am cognizant of the other shooters, and if I see someone put down their gun and stare down range, I ask them if they need to go down range.

There is a range 5 min from my house. The fees are reasonable and the facilities are excellent. But they only allow paper targets, have a non-rapid fire policy, and some other restriction which I cant think of right now. I'll never join that club. I'll pay the extra $$$ in gas to drive the 30 miles to the state range where I can shoot without those annoying restrictions.

If the person is safe and courteous, what does it matter if he shoots 3 rounds or 30? If the person cleans up after themselves, what does it matter what they shoot at?

Or, am I THAT guy that everyone here is talking about?
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Armstrong County)

If I'm alone, I'm loading full magazines. I've been reminded, with a wink, by the Wildlife officer a few times to keep it under the limit, right before he walked back to his truck and left.

The way it's written on the SGL website implies that it's a courtesy to limit during busy times when there are more people than benches/lanes, therefore I'm not the least bit concerned with opening space for people who aren't there.

(Lebanon County)

When I go to the range I typically take a broom, rake and trash box with me. When I'm done shooting I take the 5 or 10 min to collect my brass and any debris I may have put bullet holes in (bottles, cans, etc).

IF everyone did this there would be no problem. Unfortunately, you are the minority. Usually, you see destroyed backstops, litter, and no manners. Unfortunately, the Game Commission may get the shits of it and close all SGL ranges some day. Face it, gun owners are ostracized by many, just like smokers. If they shut down a park, people would scream bloody murder, those same people could give a rats ass about a shooting range.

(York County)

I shoot up there on a regular basis. The lady picking up the brass always asks first if it's ok. She and her daughter recycle (not reload) the brass and she has been doing it for years. I don't mind because I don't reload and she keeps the range clean. I used to pick up all my spent brass and place it in the garbage containers there, but she shows up every time I'm shooting there (she lives close by and zips over when she hears a lot of rounds going downrange) so now I don't have to clean up after myself.
    As for the rules.
    The fines are steep and at the Rt 74 range, you will get busted sooner or later. As much as I hate it, I never load more than six rounds in my mags. I just use a bunch of mags. Also, if there is so much as one other person on the line, I as them if they want to be the range officer or would rather I do it. If a LEO or game warden stops by and asks, you'd better have someone designated as the range officer, again, you and everyone else on the range, shooting or not, will be fined if not.
    There are a lot of idiots that show up at the game lands range, I always have my body armor in the car and if it looks like there are a bunch of newbies or gangsta's, I slip on the vest. At least I have a better chance if one of the tards lets loose an errant round, plus, between the vest and the thigh holster, I usually scare off the gangstas.

I'm looking into joining one of the other private ranges like West Shore just so I don't have to deal with the BS anymore.

(York County)

Hey jpavoncello. Did you see this post?

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    The Dover Fish and Game Assoc cost $20 to start and then only $10 a year to keep it going. The range is not huge, it has 5-6 tables, and goes from 25yds to 200yds. I can count on 1 hand that I have been there and had someone else show up while I was there.
    Phone# 292-7188

I will be calling this week as it's closer than the SGL and no as*holes.

Dan

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast