Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Venango County)

Default Re: 19y/o open carry question

This thread made me finally realize that moving sidewalks, escalators, elevators, and lifts would likely be included as well. Could the OP then be able to get to a tenth floor apartment other than walking up?

ETA = He would have to fall into the exceptions and securely wrap, I suppose but OC would be out of consideration. How easily one could fall into a trap, though.
    Last edited by TaePo; March 29th, 2016 at 01:31 PM.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

PAFOA-Where legal advise is as clear as a Jamocha milkshake and just as solid.

I love Jamocha shakes.

Thanks, now I want to go give more money to Arby's.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    A vehicle - i.e., a car, truck, bus, taxicab, motor scooter, motorcycle, horse, ATV, snowmobile, skateboard, bicycle, tricycle, any wheeled vehicle, garden or farm tractor or riding lawnmower.
    Correct...this is how and why there have been DUIs on lawn mowers and bicycles.

I'm impressed by your dedication to research and the questions you're asking, Tjplatt2. Just remember that until you're 21 and have a LTCF, it's best to be cautious and not risk making a mistake that could and likely will cost you the right to carry for the rest of your life.

Licensed carriers who OC get hassled by police or have idiot liberals start crap with them, not knowing the law. Being 19, you'll have to do a lot of talking with knowledge of the law to convince the police you're actually following the law. It could be a tough task.

You don't have much longer to wait. Be smart and stay safe.

Some good reading material:

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=59762

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=132551
    Last edited by alpacaheat; March 30th, 2016 at 03:25 PM.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

We know that riding a SEPTA bus or train is a conveyance, but I doubt elevators and escalators would count since they're fixed installations. A far more interesting use case would be a trailer home parked and hooked up but still on wheels.

I'm not sure what people are misunderstanding about open carry. Generally speaking open carry as a special status exists only when unlicensed, on foot, and under no 6106(b) exception, though there are plenty of other shenanigans outside the scope of this thread like §6122.

"secure wrapper" is far too vague for my taste, though. As far as I'm concerned Condition 4 in a retention holster with a magazine in a separate pocket should qualify as not loaded and in a secure wrapper.

If OP is going fishing with his Sportsmans Firearm Permit he can carry concealed like anyone with an LTCF. On the water it's a whole different ball game, good luck with that.
    Last edited by greenjohn88; March 30th, 2016 at 03:34 PM.
    NRA Life Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    If you really want to try and carry it openly, read and study the laws before hand. There are lots of pitfalls and a screw up can cost you your rights for the rest of your life. Personally my advice would be if you want it at your place for home protection that shouldn't be a problem. As for carrying, I would just wait it out until you can get a license. If you're 19, you've got less than two years to go. It seems like a long time now, but it will go quicker than you think and there are life long consequences if you get something wrong. Just my advice, whatever that's worth.
    Even if you are in the right don't expect a LEO to know that. There is chance you will be arrested and have your firearm confiscated and have to explain yourself in front of a judge possibly at the expense of a lawer.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Important point. He said it twice.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by greenjohn88 View Post
    We know that riding a SEPTA bus or train is a conveyance, but I doubt elevators and escalators would count since they're fixed installations. A far more interesting use case would be a trailer home parked and hooked up but still on wheels.

I'm not sure what people are misunderstanding about open carry. Generally speaking open carry as a special status exists only when unlicensed, on foot, and under no 6106(b) exception, though there are plenty of other shenanigans outside the scope of this thread like §6122.

"secure wrapper" is far too vague for my taste, though. As far as I'm concerned Condition 4 in a retention holster with a magazine in a separate pocket should qualify as not loaded and in a secure wrapper.

If OP is going fishing with his Sportsmans Firearm Permit he can carry concealed like anyone with an LTCF. On the water it's a whole different ball game, good luck with that.
    I am not so sure of that as the definition of vehicle seems wide open. So a rickshaw would count but a wheelbarrow would not? Unless there is case law, I would be wary. A moving sidewalk for example, uses a conveyor belt. An elevator uses tracks like a train. Just less options on movement and that is not excepted in the definition. We may need to clarify that law before antigun judges, prosecutors or juries have a field day.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234