Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Locking SW model 629-6 44 mag

I have a new smith Wesson model 629-6 which I want to use on an Alaskan hunting trip. I bought this bear defense, and I'm afraid it can auto lockup with recoil. I'm using factory load 310 grain WC. I read video how to remove lock spring. It seems to complicated for me. Is there anyone good gun smith here in pa that can do this for me? Or do I leave it and take chance that it doesn't lock on its own?

(York County)

Default Re: Locking SW model 629-6 44 mag

Just sell it and get a used pre-lock model. Not that hard to find. I just picked up a 586-1 a for $600

(Bucks County)

I've never heard of a 629 locking up, where did you get this fear from?

There are hundreds of the ads all over Internet. Even on smith Wesson forums.
    I did not care for the RedHawk. The smith has excellent trigger and fits best in my hand
    It's brand new, yet I'm just seeing these reports today. This lock is in all S&W revolvers since 2001 and now I see many complaints. Yet maybe it's not an issue.

(Bucks County)

is it a real issue or just people repeating what they heard or read on the internet? I don't think I'd worry about it but if you do sell it and get a pre-lock gun or reconsider the ruger. if the ruger doesn't fit your hand well maybe there's a aftermarket grip you can buy? good luck with whatever you decide.

(Lackawanna County)

Is this the same revolver you're complaining about being a 2013 model and not a brand new 2016 in two other threads?

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    Is this the same revolver you're complaining about being a 2013 model and not a brand new 2016 in two other threads?
    Yes, but main concern is the auto lock that only smith uses. It's known to fail under sever recoil. And can be life critical if it fails in emergency situation. There are numerous posts on this issue.

(Perry County)

I took the lock out of my 686. It's not hard. Do a Youtube search and follow the instructions. Or, as others said, get yourself a pre-lock. I can't help you on the smith.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Delaware County)

You'll be hard pressed to find a gunsmith to remove a safety device in today's litigious society. That said, it is a non issue. Many thousands of guns have been sold. Many millions of rounds have been shot. Credible accounts of the lock activating without the key being turned are few. It is no more likely than any other mechanical failure.

The internet is the equivalent of looking under rocks. If you WANT to find some dirt on anything, you will find it on the web. Why? Because of the millions who are online. Look up the current car you own and see all the issues it has by viewing the complaints owners post. Take it with a grain of salt. Unless you have many thousands of individuals claiming an issue, there is no issue. And because you see multiple issues on different sites is because these sites share data and their posts so a few issues seem like a major problem. You stand a better chance winning the lottery while simultaneously getting struck by lightening IF you are attacked by a bear, (which in itself pretty rare), and your S&W doesn't go off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast