Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default WHat type training do you want?

I have an interest in starting up a new training center in the Delaware County/Chester County /Lehigh Valley area. What type training would be of interest to the members of PAFOA? Is there an interest in first aid (Red Cross basic, CPR, TCCC)? Force on force? Defensive handgun, rifle, shotgun, improvised weapons of opportunity? Simunition training? Shoot house room clearing? Safe room defense?

I have had an interest in setting up a facility but I need to know what would be of interest as I do want to make a living for myself. I would also be bring in instructors as well as employing local instructors. I also think the facility, if properly designed could be used by police and military personnel to maintain their training levels. Once i have an idea about the level of interest in the area I can write up a business plan, look for a proper location, and financing.

I would appreciate any input from the community and look forward to your answers.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: WHat type training do you want?

I have had the privilege of training with many instructors, as well as at several of the top facilities in this country over the last 30 years.

Having read your above post, I will forward this information to you... take a look at the Firearms Academy of Seattle (FAS) and at TDI in Ohio, those are two organizations that have done an outstanding job in the training industry - similar to what you are trying to do here in the PA area. I am not saying that you have to copy them exactly, but the two are good models for a training center/school.

As someone who has done and trained in most of those topics that you have listed, I can say that they are all valuable ... but first and foremost one has to "master" the basics.

Good luck in your endeavor, hopefully I will see some course offered in the future that will give me the chance to drive over and check out your facility.

Otto
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Hokkmike Guest

Defensive handgun training in general and best practice strategies for planning a defense of the home.

(Dauphin County)

Sorry, I couldn't stop myself.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the feedback.
    take a look at the Firearms Academy of Seattle (FAS) and at TDI in Ohio
    Orive 8 I will definitely check them out.
    Defensive handgun training in general and best practice strategies for planning a defense of the home.
    FinnLight I was thinking about this type training. I was also thinking about "Active shooter" scenarios for home and business.
    ROCK-IT3 Bill has a way with words.

(Westmoreland County)

Bear in mind that it is extremely difficult to earn a living in the training industry. Supplement your "day job"? Yes. But as your only source of income, very few trainers are able to pull that off. Most, including FAS and TDI have other commercial enterprises to compliment their training activities. And most trainers who are ex LE and .mil are also typically collecting their pensions (Pat Rogers and Larry Vickers et al).

I'm not trying to discourage you, just being forthright having been involved in this since 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by Keighvin View Post
    I was also thinking about "Active shooter" scenarios for home and business.
    I would be very careful about offering a course in this subject matter. It is an extremely difficult prospect even for LE. Many of the techniques I've been exposed to are less than optimal only because this type of scenario is very complex. In fact, I'd dare say most successful recent outcomes have been more of "being at the right place at the right time" as opposed to employing pure tactics. And I for one would insist on seeing a detailed instructor background bio before I would enroll in such a course.

Best of luck.

(Northampton County)

Realistic based courses. See Sage Dynamics and the stuff Aaron Cowan is doing.

Firearms retention, GSW first aid, and low light/ wml training are areas that interest me.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Armor Snail View Post
    Realistic based courses. See Sage Dynamics and the stuff Aaron Cowan is doing.

Firearms retention, GSW first aid, and low light/ wml training are areas that interest me.
    I absolutely second this. I've taken a bunch of the Sage Courses, and his Simunition courses are second to none. That's really becoming the future of reality-based training, and I can't recommend that type of training enough.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post

^^^THIS^^^

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Keighvin-

I agree with Hokkmike- those are great choices, plus defensive handgun advanced. Also concealed carry classroom/practical course.

I'm in North Carolina 3-4 times a year to visit family. Since we could not find training subject matter we wanted, at the right time and for reasonable cost up here, we've taken training class down there the last two trips.

EX: Took defensive handgun in January, and last week my wife and I took the NC CC class, the one NC residents are required to take to apply for a permit. 8 hours plus qualifying at the range and written test. It was well worth the time.
    Life Member SAF, CCRKBA; Senior Life Member FOAC