Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default good all-around hunting rifles?

Hey board, this is my first post.

Im looking to get into hunting, I own pistols and target shoot quite a bit, I also like tactical shotguns and work the range with these types of firearms as well, although I don't own a shotgun yet.

I am interested in learning the art of game hunting and could use some advice on rifle types, calibers, etc. I am thinking between 30 and 120 yard capable for multiple game types.

I know different game require different firearms, but what might you recommend for a new game hunter that is versatile and effective for a variety of game? Im looking to hunt deer, elk, ram, boar to start.

Respect.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: good all-around hunting rifles?

For deer and boar, you could go anywhere from 243 on up. For elk and ram, you might want to get something that is a little bigger, but most importantly, flat shooting. I would go with one of two different calibers, but I'm sure other people will have different thoughts on the matter. that's the beuaty of hunting, everyone has their own preferences.

I would go with either a 3006 or a 7mm mag. With the 3006, you can load for a variety of different game. 150 gr for deer on up to 220 gr for bear . I personally load 165 gr for my 3006, and i would have no problems hunting for deer, boar, elk or bear with this load.

The 7mm is very flat and very fast. Perfect caliber, in my opinion, if you are only going to own one gun. I don't own one, but know many people that do, and they love them.

For my hunting, I have a 22-250, 243, 3006, 300 win mag, and a 50 cal inline muzzleloader. I am a big fan of the 300 for long range, simply because it pushes a 180 gr bullet almost as fast as a 7mm pushes a 140 or 160 gr. Lot of downrange energy.

(Northampton County)

Do you have a preference for a type of action--bolt, lever, automatic?

The good news is that you've opened a huge can of worms and everyone will be able to give you a number of reasons to select any number of rifles. You have a relatively short range requirement so that gives you even more options.

I like the big bore lever actions, so I'd consider a Marlin in either .444 or .45-70. (They do tend to recoil a bit so they may not be ideal for everyone.) They work with your distance requirement but if you think you want something that can be effective much further, you may consider some type of .30-06 or .308. You'll have a large selection rifles and of ammo available for either of them.

But that's just the tip of the iceberg... I'm sure you'll get many more, and perhaps better, suggestions.

(Delaware County)

Welcome to the forum.

Rem 700 in .308 Extremely Accurate, flat shooting, very versatile, plenty of power for any game in this state and most others. It can be had in a light weight rifle that can be humped up and down the mountains all day. Not to mention the the endless selection of match grade, hunting and surplus ammo available and if you are a reloader the sky is the limit. 7mm08 for a second choice.
    Last edited by K31; August 13th, 2008 at 09:23 PM.

(Chester County)

My opinion is worth every cent you pay, but here it is anyway.

If I could only have 1 rifle for hunting anything, anywhere in PA, I'd probably go with a .30-30. The ammo is cheap (relatively speaking) and readily available online, in your favorite sporting goods store, or wally world. They're good brush guns in the shorter barrel lengths, but have good range too. If you think really big game out west might be in your future or you just want to know you have a little extra for elk or taking the long shot, I'd go for a .30-06. Again, the ammo is everywhere and you can buy different loads for whatever it is you're after.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

I concur the .30-30 is a well suited all around rifle for Pa big game.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Berks County)

For bolt rifles you can't go wrong with what is most popular.

Probably Remington 700's, Ruger 77's, and just about any of the Savage models.

As far as ammo, .308 and .30-06 are very common, will take any PA game, are about the cheapest and ammo comes in many loads and variations to suit just about anything.

Personal favorite factory guns, Ruger 77 in .308, and my daughters Savage in .243.

My buddy hunts exclusively with an Enfield .303 (scoped) and I have taken a Sporterized K98 Mauser out (8mm scoped) on occasion. I also have a Winchester 94 lever action (.30-30) that is a great brush gun.

Start looking, and reading all the threads you can, handle some rifles, (it doesn't have to be new, many fine used rifles out there also!) find one that fits you well. Hook up and come to a shooting event, someone is bound to let you shoot a rifle or 3.

Good luck and welcome to the PAFOA!
    Last edited by 762xIan; August 13th, 2008 at 10:02 PM.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(York County)

I always answer this question with the same....The standard 30/06 rifle will be more than adequate for any big game animal in North America. Couople that with a 185 grain boat tail bullet and your golden.

Dave
    3%

Quote Originally Posted by K31 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Rem 700 in .308 Extremely Accurate, flat shooting, very versatile, plenty of power for any game in this state and most others. It can be had in a light weight rifle that can be humped up and down the mountains all day. Not to mention the the endless selection of match grade, hunting and surplus ammo available and if you are a reloader the sky is the limit. 7mm08 for a second choice.
    Would you please elaborate more on "flat shooting"? I've NEVER thought the .308 was flat shooting. It is an effective cartridge, and will still take down an elk if you don't push the range too much; it's not exactly flat shooting though. I would take the 7-08 over the .308 because it is flatter shooting, although reloading for the 7-08 would make it much more effective. If you want to hunt elk, the 7mm bullets, are where most people are gonna say the smallest that you want to go. In terms of power level, I wouldn't want to go much below those calibers either. I'm a fan of the magnums, but they're not exactly great for a beginner to learn on, nor are they very cheap to shoot/learn on. I would heavily consider the .243, .308, or 7-08. Even if all you do is learn on them until you want to sell them to get a larger caliber with more recoil like a .30-06, .300 winmag/or wsm, 7mm mag or wsm.

The models that people are recommending are quite good. Remington 700, Savage 10 or 110, Ruger 77. Lots of good rifles out there that will get the job done. If you wanted something that would be mainly for deer and other critters, but that might not reach out for an elk, .30-30 is a great caliber.

You are talking fairly short range, which is good. Too many people dream about dropping a bull elk at 600 yards and want to find the rifle to do it. You have been given a variety of chamberings to RESEARCH and some arguments for some. The 30-06,308,7mm mag,7-08 are all great "one gun" cosiderations. Their are LOTS of possibilities (nobody mentioned the 7X57 mauser, which has been called by many "the best all around cartridge ever built" ). The new (a draw-back) 338 Federal looks like a winner. Get lots of info from as many people and places as you can. I personally think that the best bang for the buck rifle on the market right now would be one of the Savage models. They are GREAT shooters and still don't break the bank. My 2 cents worth. BTW, Why is it's a penny for your thoughts, but U put your 2 cents in? SOMEBODY'S MAKING A PENNY!...Steven Wright

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast