Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: A Primer on Firearm Auctions

Interesting auction (sorry for the short notice - most go off tonight) for a gunsmith.

Jerry Kuhnhausen Gunsmithing Liquidation Part 1

Especially if you're interested in barrels, stocks, wood blanks, parts, books, etc. I think it's a two-part auction, so more coming later, but here's the link:

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=130897
    - bamboomaster

Subscribing so I can read it if I need it someday.

Great write-up. A LOT of info.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Interesting auction (sorry for the short notice - most go off tonight) for a gunsmith.

Jerry Kuhnhausen Gunsmithing Liquidation Part 1

Especially if you're interested in barrels, stocks, wood blanks, parts, books, etc. I think it's a two-part auction, so more coming later, but here's the link:

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=130897
    Either a bidder or I don't understand the bidding process.
    $110 a box for 45-70 ammo that is $35 a box in stores?
    I think the bidder thinks they are buying a lot, not bidding by the piece.

(Chester County)

You have to read the auction listing. I think the one you're referring to had SIX boxes of 20 rounds (so, less than a $1 per round for .45-70's) and a follow-on listed item was only for 5 boxes.

When you purchase them in the stores for $35 (for 20 rounds per box), your price-point is about $1.75 per round, excluding sales tax, gas to get there, etc.

Whatever you do prior to bidding, be sure to take your time to read, re-read the listing....

FWIW, I'm very grateful that I can reload most of this caliber for less than $.15 per round (after sunk costs in brass, bullets, powder, and primers). Said they were reloads, right?
    - bamboomaster

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Either a bidder or I don't understand the bidding process.
    $110 a box for 45-70 ammo that is $35 a box in stores?
    I think the bidder thinks they are buying a lot, not bidding by the piece.
    You have to read the auction listing. I think the one you're referring to had SIX boxes of 20 rounds (so, less than a $1 per round for .45-70's) and a follow-on listed item was only for 5 boxes.

When you purchase them in the stores for $35 (for 20 rounds per box), your price-point is about $1.75 per round, excluding sales tax, gas to get there, etc.

Whatever you do prior to bidding, be sure to take your time to read, re-read the listing....

FWIW, I'm very grateful that I can reload most of this caliber for less than $.15 per round (after sunk costs in brass, bullets, powder, and primers). Said they were reloads, right?
    No, Flathead has it correct, the bid price is 'by the box' and the total is shown in the summary. The bidder does not understand the auction process and is on the hook unless he can get it cleaned up before the bidding starts. The 30 carbine right below it is by the lot. (no quantity reference)
    bad bid.jpg

Interestingly a different bidder did the same on the next lot as well.
    Last edited by gghbi; August 7th, 2017 at 05:38 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Chester County)

You're Shitt!ing me! Really? Folks were bidding over $6.00 per round for .45-70? NOBODY who shoots that round would agree to pay that sum. Pretty sure all the bids would be scratched, Has to be an error in either their system or in the bidding

At that price, you should be guaranteed an ELK for each round!
    - bamboomaster

(Indiana County)

There are some pricey items in that auction.
    Add in the buyers penalty and it's worse.

I'm thinking this is the way to liquidate a collection.
    Hell, maybe I'll do this with all mine and retire to Idaho.

(Lehigh County)

You're Shitt!ing me! Really? Folks were bidding over $6.00 per round for .45-70? NOBODY who shoots that round would agree to pay that sum. Pretty sure all the bids would be scratched, Has to be an error in either their system or in the bidding

At that price, you should be guaranteed an ELK for each round!
    I know you have been to a few auctions where folks did not get the 'by the box or by the piece' and seen the ensuing theatrics. I have done it my self once or twice when it was noisy and I was not paying attention. Agree the bids should be scratched, but no guarantee.

(Chester County)

Called the auctioneers - they said the pricing was not their problem - all they do is post descriptions and amounts provided by the seller.

Called the seller and remarkably, they were busy and could only leave a message. Told them that whomever won on items #3 and #4 for six and five boxes of .45-70 respectively would probably cancel their bids (after the auction ended) once they realized they were paying 3-4x what you could pay at Walmart to purchase these rounds.

While the auction listing showed photos of the group of .45-70 boxes, 20 per box (six or five boxes), the computer appears to have converted their bids to a price per round - which raised the bid amounts. I'm pretty sure the bidders will eventually recognize the error of their ways...

How lovely to live in an accounting department for them, eh?

While it's off-topic, would love to sell all of my remaining .45-70 rounds for $5-6 per round...
    - bamboomaster

(Lehigh County)

Called the auctioneers - they said the pricing was not their problem - all they do is post descriptions and amounts provided by the seller.

Called the seller and remarkably, they were busy and could only leave a message. Told them that whomever won on items #3 and #4 for six and five boxes of .45-70 respectively would probably cancel their bids (after the auction ended) once they realized they were paying 3-4x what you could pay at Walmart to purchase these rounds.

While the auction listing showed photos of the group of .45-70 boxes, 20 per box (six or five boxes), the computer appears to have converted their bids to a price per round - which raised the bid amounts. I'm pretty sure the bidders will eventually recognize the error of their ways...

How lovely to live in an accounting department for them, eh?

While it's off-topic, would love to sell all of my remaining .45-70 rounds for $5-6 per round...
    We will find out in about an hour and 15 minutes (or a bit less).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast