Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Getting ready to put in for my first SBR, bunch of newb questions inside

So I got an MP5 clone pistol. I was always intending to SBR it, but after shooting it, I decided I should do it sooner rather than later. I have the fingerprint cards and extra copies of the forms on the way, but in the mean time, I had a couple of questions I hope you guys would be able to help out with...

1) Middle Name: Do I need to put it on Form 1 or the citizenship certification form, or is first and last OK? If I need it, does it also need to get engraved on my gun?

2) City: So I don't actually live in the city of Pittsburgh, but rather one of the suburbs that is within the Pittsburgh zip code, and typically uses Pittsburgh as the city on the mailing address. My DL also says Pittsburgh, and it's what I've been putting on my 4473s and essentially all my forms. Is that what I should put down on the form (and engrave on the gun), or should I use the actual town name?

3) Engraving: Should I do it before or after approval? Some people seem to say before, in case the engraving gets screwed up, others seem to say after. Any special considerations (as to who I can send it to for engraving) in either scenario?

4) Box 4H: Just the engraving I plan on putting on the gun goes here, or the factory original markings too?

5) Submitting duplicate forms: Am I supposed to manually fill out the form again, or is a photocopy acceptable? If it is acceptable, should it get photocopied before or after the signatures (CLEO and mine)?

Sorry, I know they're kinda minor sounding questions, but I wanted to get it all out of the way so that I don't send in the form with something messed up.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Getting ready to put in for my first SBR, bunch of newb questions inside

1. I used my middle initial on the forms. Most people engrave the gun with first and last only.

2. Put the actual city you are manufacturing the weapon in.

3. Engrave early, just get it done. Best bet is to find a local place that does "industrial laser engraving". I lucked out and there was a trophy shop with a Minilase fiber laser that did mine for $15 right around the corner!

4. I left 4h blank, note it's additional description not the basic info ( applicant, location, OEM manufacturers data previously listed in the form )

5. Duplicates are OK except for the physical signature IIRC. Has to be signed in ink. I hand filled out and triple checked both my form 1s. My form 4s were a computer filled out duplicates with independent ink signatures the transferring SOT dealer's rep .
    Last edited by Splittiebus66; March 17th, 2016 at 10:53 PM.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Getting ready to put in for my first SBR, bunch of newb questions inside

A quick search for you....looks like General Mfg. Corp in Bethel Park PA handles NFA engraving with the same Tykma laser that was used on SBR lower. $40 ain't bad, and hopefully not too far of a drive for you. Much better to have them done without mailing IMHO!

The Tykma is bad ass, it's a computer controlled laser that can abate the metal to NFA spec. and beyond. When I had mine done the operator let me check out the work before he cut. The laser displays the image on the target before it goes.

http://www.generalmfg.net/lasermarkingnfamarking.html

http://www.generalmfg.net/contactinformation.html
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Centre County)

As for the forms, just remember that it is a front and back form , the NFA branch WILL NOT take a front and back form that is on 2 individual pages. You need to send 2 of the forms (one will come back with the stamp on it), 2 fingerprint cards, both forms have to have your passport photo on them and both have to have the CLEO signature and your $200 check (unless you pay by credit card, then that part of the forms needs to be filled out completely and signed also. The signatures need to be original, not copied. You do not need to send the instructions portions of the forms.

I highly suggest sending them Priority Mail with a return receipt, a bit more expensive but Priority Mail gets there faster and more secure and the return receipt will tell you when it was received.

Make sure you send it to the address on the top of the form (it should be to the NFA Branch in Atlanta)
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member