Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Tell Me about YOUR 10MM experience?

I am interested in starting to save for a 10MM. If I can save enough, I am thinking I would most like to get a Dan Wesson Silverback. I have plenty of older Dan Wesson Revolvers and like the brand. However, there are plenty of guns that could get me into 10MM a lot cheaper. I am looking at the New Glock 40 as I have no Glocks and I think this could make a good first and most likely only plus I really like that 6" barrel. I am also thinking a RIA for about the same price as the Glock in a 1911 style. I am kicking myself for not picking up an older Gen 3 1006 Smith and Wesson when they were well under a grand. So what say you and your 10 MM experinces. I do reload and already reload for 40 S&W so reloading for the 10MM just means getting brass.

Thanks for your replies interested to learn as much as I can about 10MM and the guns that shoot 10 MM.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Tell Me about YOUR 10MM experience?

Well don't ask me. I can talk you into all kind of stuff. Love 10mm and its a beast when pushed to its full potential. Nice though it can be dialed back to 40 specs for light plinking. I got a 1006, G20, G29 and a Kimber 1911 chambered in 10mm.

My normal target loads are my 180 grn bullets over 6 grain of Solo 1000 pushing them right at 1230fps through the chrony.

Oh and you will need large pistol primers for 10mm unless you find some of the new Speer Non toxic stuff that uses spp like the 45's.

I'm actually going to sell off my 1006 and my other 2 Gen 3 Smiths to fund my S&W 610 revolver purchase. I've been turning into more of a wheelgun guy lately and a 610 has been on my bucket list for a long time.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Clearfield County)

Spending 15 minutes looking for every precious, precious, case caused me to lose interest. If you could find brass at the range for it like you can 9mm or .45 I'd of stayed with it, but when you're stuck with what you can buy it loses some of its luster.

I still have every intention of eventually getting my 40 s&W hi-point converted, but that will be the occasional range toy.

I've wanted a 10mm for a long time...a couple of months ago I bought a G21 police trade in...I want to start off by saying I have a strong dislike for Glock. I've owned a few of them in the past and they all shot like crap and the grip angle wasn't great.

That being said, Glock was the least expensive way to get into 10mm. I read about Glock factory barrels, so I knew I wanted to replace it, so that is why I ended up buying a Gen 3 G21 SF. I went with a Storm Lake 10mm barrel and it's shot well for me. I ended up getting a heavier recoil spring because I planned on carrying warm/hot Underwood factory ammo. It's tough to get something other than Glock because mags are easy to locate and less expensive compared to other firearms.

I am a fan of 1911, but will tell you that RIA 10mm is something I wouldn't want to risk. It seems as if 50% of RIA 10mm owners end up sending it back to the factory at least once and some folks more than once. That does not build confidence for me, so I went with Glock.

You can also look at EAA Elite Match and up...the EAA's are great value and many on the 10mm forum favor them. I was considering an EAA Match and up, but decided against it due to weight/size of pistol and cost of mags. I tend to buy a lot of mags for any pistol that I will carry on a daily basis.

I have been shooting 10mm for about 10 or 12 years and the Glock 20 is the only one I trust. The Danish Special Forces Long Range Patrol carries them in case of Polar Bear Attack. At any rate my G20 has been 100% reliable through thousands of rounds of factory and reloaded ammo. I still have almost a case of the original Norma ammo. I am also not a Glock fan and this is the only one that I own, but I like it. With the 16 round capacity and reliability of the Glock it has some pretty amazing firepower. I have been considering trading it in on the long slide model 40 in 10mm though. I like the fact that it has the removable slide plate to mount a holo sight. If I was getting a 10mm right now the Glock model 40 is probably the way that I would go.

(Bucks County)

Own a kimber eclipse...recoil is on par with a 357 in my opinion. Only bad thing is ammo is pricey.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Lancaster County)

I fired one up in the air once, here's where it landed.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lancaster County)

I like and have 10mm of the 1911 variety. Delta Elite. I've heard nothing but good about the RIA so idk. I didn't really like the G20 but like Glocks. I never shot the Smith but again hear they are good. I'm sure the Dan Wesson would be your best bet

(Lancaster County)

Oh check out Sig Sauer

(Bucks County)

I fired a guy's Sig (226?) in .40 which he offered me to try and I thought it was a 9. I'd check out something like that in 10.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast